Rocket Giotto Dispensing Time Lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Giotto Dispensing Time Lag

Expat in Penang. The 2012 Rocket Giotto Premium Plus (vibrating pump) purchased in 2012 and brought over here from Melbourne still going strong. Noticed some green copper corrosion around some of the pressure vessels welded/soldered areas and not sure what to do about that.
    Recently have noticed that there is an increasing time lag between when the group dispensing lever is lifted (button pushed) and when the pump actually starts pumping. Now it seems like at least 1/2 second. This has been a slow creeping change. Is this a sign of pending problems? Maybe corrosion on the electrical switch/solenoid? Or the pump getting tired?
    Any ideas welcome with thanks.

I have the same problem with a Premium Plus purchased at about the same time. It has had an easy life with perhaps one duty cycle per day, regular cleaning and two major services. In addition to a short delay after activating the dispensing lever, it sometimes stalls for a second or so mid cycle. I would appreciate any advice about this problemm.

Comment

The logical places to look are: pump microswitch, control board and pump. Not unusual to replace any or all in machines of this age.
      Last edited by Caffeinator; 12 April 2019, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Caffeinator is right, I have a 10 year old Bezzera machine that is used daily, in the past few of years I have replaced the Pump, control board, relay, pins/seals in the group head and an exhaust valve.

Nothing lasts forever, having said that, after doing the above, along with routine maintenance over the years, the machine is running as well as the day I bought it.

Is there someone in the area that can service your machine?

Comment

Pump should flow 300ml (or close) in 30sec. Test this with shower screen and any other flow restrictions removed

Comment

OK thanks. The issue is usually with the first time the pump is used after a break (esp overnight). So this would point to the pump itself?

Comment

The pump flow is around 240 ml in 30 seconds, with a full reservoir. So not too bad?
              Will be searching for service availability which, if it exists at all, will likely be in KL which is a 4 hours drive.
              The other issue is the weeping corrosion on the pressure tanks. I will try to take a pic and post that. But if the tanks are iffy, then pump repair may not be worth it.
              Thanks everyone for your advice.

Comment

Good enough flow there...

You say there is a delay. Does the pump start immediately, but the water takes a while to get to the group head? If so, there is a one-way valve in the nose of the pump that may be allowing backflow of water

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
                  Good enough flow there...

You say there is a delay. Does the pump start immediately, but the water takes a while to get to the group head? If so, there is a one-way valve in the nose of the pump that may be allowing backflow of water
                  The pump just doesn't start at all. Pull the dispensing lever and, this morning, there was a full second before the pump starts vibrating. I pulled the lever when the machine was cold and the pump started immediately. After 3 hours 'warming up' (went back to sleep!) , then there was this sort of 'latency' delay after pulling the lever.
                  No luck with finding servicing agent but haven't given up.
                  An alternative is to just get some parts sent over (pump, switch, ?) and put them in randomly.

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
                    The logical places to look are: pump microswitch, control board and pump. Not unusual to replace any or all in machines of this age.
                    Have you checked out the Bold items listed here as yet?
                    Easy to do and if replacements required, relatively inexpensive as well...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                      Have you checked out the Bold items listed here as yet?
                      Easy to do and if replacements required, relatively inexpensive as well...

Mal.
                      Thanks Mal. Finally found a Rocket supplier in KL. Will order those parts and see if they make a difference. Cheers everyone. Will post a pic of the tank corrosion later. Advice on best treatment would be appreciated.

Comment

Here are some pics of corrosion on the tank. Is this anything to worry about? Can they be treated in any way? eg sodium bicarb.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The second one is not problematic: the mess on the tank is caused by brazing flux left in contact, a typical Italian practice. It looks to me like the fitting is leaking slightly so that will need to be looked at but they are about $4 from your local plumbing supply.

The first one I am more worried about, the concentration of copper salts in one place could be a pinhole in the seam in which case the boiler is pretty well toast.

Comment

Agree with Lb...

Definitely looks problematic.
                            If you knew of a business locally who do copper boiler repairs (TIG Welding preferably), you could remove the boiler and get it seen to but that would only fix the problem(s) you can see. Might end up chasing your tail...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                              Agree with Lb...

Definitely looks problematic.
                              If you knew of a business locally who do copper boiler repairs (TIG Welding preferably), you could remove the boiler and get it seen to but that would only fix the problem(s) you can see. Might end up chasing your tail...

Mal.
                              Well thanks Mal and LB. This is what I feared and thought (secretly!). I agree.
                              So my plan is to keep using this machine until it just gives up completely. Then get something new. VBM seem to popular here, with the Super Double Boiler going for around RM12,500 (divide by 3 for AUD). Maybe I'll get a rotary Rocket. Mmmm. Everything to do with good coffee is a bit expensive here. For example good green coffee beans are around RM70-80(AUD23-26) per kilo.
                              I had just found a good service agent for the Rocket, in KL; La Marsa Coffee, just in case anyone has an issue with a Rocket in Malaysia.
                              Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Working...
                              X