Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest E61 group single boiler espresso machine to buy in Australia? Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest E61 group single boiler espresso machine to buy in Australia? Advice needed

Dear Coffee snobs
    I am planning to buy E61 group single boiler espresso machine with or without PID. I spent some days to investigate what espresso machine I should buy for substantial improvement of my espresso. Looks that cheapest E61 single boiler machine is better than any not E61.
    Could you, please, suggest any E61 single boiler cheaper that I listed below. (I am drinking only black espresso 1-3 cups every day in the morning)
    Isomac Zaffiro Due A$ 1,771.00 (no PID)
    VBM Domobar Piccolo A$ 1,649.00 (no PID)
    ECM Manufacture Classika PID A$1,949.00
    Thank you very much in advance for your great help.
    With regards Alex

Originally posted by ilichev View Post
    Dear Coffee snobs
    I am planning to buy E61 group single boiler espresso machine with or without PID. I spent some days to investigate what espresso machine I should buy for substantial improvement of my espresso. Looks that cheapest E61 single boiler machine is better than any not E61.
    Could you, please, suggest any E61 single boiler cheaper that I listed below. (I am drinking only black espresso 1-3 cups every day in the morning)
    Isomac Zaffiro Due A$ 1,771.00 (no PID)
    VBM Domobar Piccolo A$ 1,649.00 (no PID)
    ECM Manufacture Classika PID A$1,949.00
    Thank you very much in advance for your great help.
    With regards Alex
    I'm not sure that it's the E-61 v non-E61 that defines the difference ......it's more about build quality. The E-61 distinction is (strongly) correlated with build quality, though so you won't go too far wrong with those choices.

If you're drinking straight shots and are mainly concerned with quality of the shot.....have you considered a manual lever like the Espresso Flair? Not for everyone but pulls fantastic shots.

Comment

If you're going single boiler then stick with the ECM Classika PID. For the little extra you pay, the PID will give you the ability to control temperature at a level needed to fine tune your espresso shots. Much like an ECM Dual boiler without the Steam boiler. You can still steam with the Classika, just not at the same time as brewing. ECM build quality is above the other 2 also. An E61 grouphead has mechanical pre-infusion built in by default (Pre-infusion valve actuated by set pump pressure against valve spring).

I'll probably go down the road of a Classika PID when my VBM Piccolo/Levetta dies or collapses into a pile of rust (pre stainless frame and cover version). I'm in the process of fitting up a PID due to the thermostat deadband issue as standard and even with a grouphead thermometer, the effort required in keeping a tighter control on temperature fluctuations is growing old.

P.S. Didn't think of it at the time but seems to be quite a timely query with a new shipment of Classika PIDs hitting the stores in the next week or 2.
      Last edited by CafeLotta; 3 May 2019, 10:57 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

Comment

ilichev, check your inbox for PM.

Comment

Dear CafeLotta, Thank you for the private message. I replied to you. By the way I Just was informed that VBM Piccolo was discontinued (or something like that) and no longer available for import to Australia. May be you will think twice about PID investment.

Comment

I own a Isomac Zaffiro (10+ years old) and it's an excellent shot machine.

Single boiler (so you have to switch between steam and shots) and you get the big heavy "commercial" brass E61 head which makes the back to back shots pretty stable.

These single boiler, non-heat exchanger machines really suck for milk drinks. Do your shot, flick over to steam and wait for it to get up to temperature before steaming your milk and then pouring it on your now cold shot but if you are just doing espresso they are great value and about half the price of a similar E61 heat-exchange machine.

We have used this at events (school fete's / sports days etc) to pull great shots back to back for hours on end and used another machine for steam.

Comment

Have to say the Bezzera Domus Galatea is a single boiler HX machine that has no problem extracting and frothing at the same time.

Difficult to bypass at the price.

Comment

...the Zaffiro ($1500 odd from a couple of our site sponsors) is about half the price of the Bezzera Yelta, the original question was "Cheapest E61 group single boiler", not great.

ilichev - don't forget to use the [quote form] when you decide what you want as it will email all the site sponsors at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                  single boiler HX machine
                  Alrighty then

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                    ...the Zaffiro ($1500 odd from a couple of our site sponsors) is about half the price of the Bezzera Yelta, the original question was "Cheapest E61 group single boiler", not great.

ilichev - don't forget to use the [quote form] when you decide what you want as it will email all the site sponsors at once.
                    Fair enough.

Comment

Dear CafeLotta, Thank you for the private message. I replied to you. By the way I Just was informed that VBM Piccolo was discontinued (or something like that) and no longer available for import to Australia. May be you will think twice about PID investment.
                      Vibiemme parts will be available for a very long time so looking at a PID upgrade on an existing machine is not an issue. As I mentioned in the PM, my PID parts have already been procured. Seems interesting that you would mention thinking twice about PID investment here. Maybe all is not what it seems. As I said previously, new shipment of ECM is imminent so can't help but wonder......

Here's a review of the Isomac Zaffiro - CoffeeGeek - Isomac Zaffiro - Operation and Maintenance
                      Last edited by CafeLotta; 4 May 2019, 04:29 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Dear Andy and others, Thank you very much for reply. Waiting for advice I did my own research and found Quick Mill Carola Evo, made in Italy, E61 with PID, single boiler (no steam at all), brass boiler with TEA treatment at Coffee-A-Roma in Melbourne. Was very surprised that no one suggested this great E61 espresso only machine. This is exactly what I want. Is anybody had or have this machine. I would like to hear owners experience using this machine.
                        Thank you very much for reply.

Comment

Nice tidy looking machine Ilichev at a very good price, was not even aware of its existence.
                          https://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/sto...e_Machine.html

Comment

Dear Andy and others, Thank you very much for reply. Waiting for advice I did my own research and found Quick Mill Carola Evo, made in Italy, E61 with PID, single boiler (no steam at all), brass boiler with TEA treatment at Coffee-A-Roma in Melbourne. Was very surprised that no one suggested this great E61 espresso only machine. This is exactly what I want. Is anybody had or have this machine. I would like to hear owners experience using this machine.
                            Thank you very much for reply.
                            Can't speak for the Carola, but I do own a different Quick Mill (Achille) and they are very solidly put together. The 750ml boiler seems a little undersized, but I guess if you're only pulling shots it might work just fine, particularly as the PID probably sorts that out. I guess one reason that nobody suggested the machine is a lack of familiarity with it, and the fact that most people would like the option to occasionally steam some milk.
                            Last edited by Barry O'Speedwagon; 6 May 2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Don't know about the exposed PCB next to the pump as shown in the photos in this review -
                              https://www.home-barista.com/espress...os-t56130.html

If I read it correctly sounds like PID adjustment is by dip switches on this exposed board with no readout to know what temp you're at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	QMCarola.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	749988

Comment

Working...
                              X