Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest E61 group single boiler espresso machine to buy in Australia? Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ilichev View Post
    Dear Andy and others, Thank you very much for reply. Waiting for advice I did my own research and found Quick Mill Carola Evo, made in Italy, E61 with PID, single boiler (no steam at all), brass boiler with TEA treatment at Coffee-A-Roma in Melbourne. Was very surprised that no one suggested this great E61 espresso only machine. This is exactly what I want. Is anybody had or have this machine. I would like to hear owners experience using this machine.
    Thank you very much for reply.
    For $51 extra you can get the :Quick Mill Silvano Evo Coffee Machine

A$1,450.00
    What am I missing, surely the capacity to steam has got to be worth $51 even if you only use it when you have visitors?

Comment

Expobar office. you wont need to flip a switch for steam. $1750
      https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/shop/p/expobar-office-semi-auto/

Comment

found Quick Mill Carola Evo, made in Italy, E61 with PID
        Does it have a PID? All I can see is the Gicar Termosteco board. Gicar themselves do not call this a PID and from the components visible it looks like a simple on / off temperature controller. Can't see how you could tune a PID with an octal dip switch.
        Last edited by Lyrebird; 6 May 2019, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird View Post
          Does it have a PID? All I can see is the Gicar Termosteco board. Gicar themselves do not call this a PID and from the components visible it looks like a simple on / off temperature controller. Can't see how you could tune a PID with an octal dip switch.
          The owners manual in the link shows the dip switch positions for different temps on Page 9 -

http://chriscoffee.com/v/vspfiles/ma...ola_manual.pdf

Comment

Agree with Lb though - Don't believe it's using a PID Controller...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
              The owners manual in the link shows the dip switch positions for different temps on Page 9 -

http://chriscoffee.com/v/vspfiles/ma...ola_manual.pdf
              Evidently standard binary code with DP1 as least significant bit.

The algorithm is temperature in Farenheit = 141 + 2 x code though I suspect that's a fudged conversion from temperature in Celsius = 64 + code.

Comment

Dear Coffee snobs
                I am planning to buy E61 group single boiler espresso machine with or without PID. I spent some days to investigate what espresso machine I should buy for substantial improvement of my espresso. Looks that cheapest E61 single boiler machine is better than any not E61.
                Not necessarily. The E61 gives you pre-infusion and thermal mass but the rest of the machine will determine how temperature stable it is. If you do go an E61 single boiler, get the machine setup properly before you pick it up. Most of them have an adjustable thermostat and if the shop has a Scace it's pretty straight forward to dial it in. On the other hand, a 58mm single boiler with PID will be ready for action and also gives you more scope for playing with temperature. eg Lelit Victoria

charlie

Comment

Dear Yelta, This is great machine for a very affordable price for coffee lovers who only need espresso. To buy froth or milk frothing machine is very easy, cheap and everywhere. By the way Quick Mill making pigeon pair of milk froth machine for this espresso (see Italian website of Quick Mill).

Comment

Unless they’ve improved dramatically I’d avoid Quickmill. I had a look inside an Andrea one time a couple of years ago as I was thinking of buying it. It was the worst built machine of this type I’d seen. Many of the parts were fine as they come from the Isomac factory, but it was poorly designed and put together. It was like a birds nest of wires and was a bit scary to be honest.

Comment

Quick Mill Carola EVO (0960) new version 2019

Dear Coffee snobs and Charlie from JetBlack, Thank you very much for comments. So far nobody had or have this exact machine. This is strange. I will try to reply to all remarks:
                      750ml brass single boiler with TEA treatment is OK for me when I usually make 1-2 espresso in the morning; Charlie is right: E61 gives pre-infusion and Temperature is already set up OK, manual PID inside calibrated to first crack, but I did not play with it yet. Most of comments was made about old version of Carola 0960 (like CoffeLatte did). New version has internal PID (sorry, try to upload file, but can not, may be too big 6MB?). Anyway, if anybody interested I could e-mail this file with all detailed pictures and descriptions as attachment. The attachment on this web site does not work with docx files?).

Comment

CafeLotta, Thank you for the post. It looks you got it from USA site and Carola is an old version, but looks very similar to mine. I understood that PID is in the next picture below this in that US post and had single switches- https://www.home-barista.com/forums/...x/34840_14.jpg
                        I was told that temperature is already factory set and tested. I do not need to play with it. I could adjust pressure and temperature in this machine. Should I wish more adjustments?

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                          Unless they’ve improved dramatically I’d avoid Quickmill.
                          I reckon I'd avoid them simply because they don't seem to know what a PID is.

I found a better pic of the board, I am sure it's a simple on/off temperature controller eg an electronic thermostat. Obviously you can't use a pressurestat on a machine that doesn't steam.

Comment

CafeLotta, Thank you for the post. It looks you got it from USA site and Carola is an old version, but looks very similar to mine. I understood that PID is in the next picture below this in that US post and had single switches- https://www.home-barista.com/forums/...x/34840_14.jpg
                            I was told that temperature is already factory set and tested. I do not need to play with it. I could adjust pressure and temperature in this machine. Should I wish more adjustments?

Why not quote the people that you are replying to...like I'm doing here?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird View Post
                              I reckon I'd avoid them simply because they don't seem to know what a PID is.

I found a better pic of the board, I am sure it's a simple on/off temperature controller eg an electronic thermostat. Obviously you can't use a pressurestat on a machine that doesn't steam.
                              Yeah there’s so many better options. Here’s a few for the OP:
                              - Lelit (Kate or equivalent)
                              - NS Oscar II
                              - CIME
                              - ACM Alfi
                              or of course the ECM already mentioned.

Comment

Dear Coffee snobs and Charlie from JetBlack, Thank you very much for comments. So far nobody had or have this exact machine. This is strange.
                                Maybe there's a message there?

750ml brass single boiler with TEA treatment...............
                                Hadn't heard of this before so looked it up and added link in case anyone else was curious.......https://www.home-barista.com/espress...ly-t39799.html

Comment

Working...
                                X