Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest E61 group single boiler espresso machine to buy in Australia? Advice needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    TEA certainly sounds like a worthwhile thing to do alright...

    Mal.

    Comment


    • #32
      Is a Silvia technically an e61?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by davltay View Post
        Is a Silvia technically an e61?
        Morning davltay.

        No the Silvia is not an E61.

        The pics below are an E61, and a Silvia group, as you can see the E61 is nothing like the Silvia brass group head.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	E61 group.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	750000Click image for larger version

Name:	Silvia group head..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	749999
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #34
          Thanks for the info, I often see people saying it’s e61 but they are wrong or misinformed!

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by davltay View Post
            Thanks for the info, I often see people saying it’s e61 but they are wrong or misinformed!
            Correctamundo.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Correctamundo..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	750001

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by davltay View Post
              Thanks for the info, I often see people saying it’s e61 but they are wrong or misinformed!
              The thing they have in common is a 58mm portafilter basket size. Any 58mm speciality filter baskets like VST and tampers you might buy for a Silvia
              will fit E61 portafilters so can be used on an upgrade machine in the future.

              Originally posted by Andy View Post
              ...the Zaffiro ($1500 odd from a couple of our site sponsors) is about half the price of the Bezzera Yelta, the original question was "Cheapest E61 group single boiler", not great.

              ilichev - don't forget to use the [quote form] when you decide what you want as it will email all the site sponsors at once.
              Found a review with internal pictures of the Zaffiro. It uses a capillary bulb thermostat similar to the later model Vibiemme Piccolo so if you were ever that way inclined, a PID mod can be done by removing the thermostat bulb from the top of the boiler and mounting an appropriate sensor for a PID. May look at doing this with a Zaffiro myself in the future and save some money instead of buying a ECM Classika PID. Sounds like a very capable machine as is though and good value. Also offers a good platform for those that like to tinker.

              Capillary Bulb thermostat (Capillary tubing inside red insulation). Probe bulb inserted through top of boiler and has direct contact with water (No thermowell so has increased sensitivity).

              Click image for larger version

Name:	ZaffiroThermostat1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	750013 Click image for larger version

Name:	ZaffiroThermostat2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	750014


              https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/I...oserlookv5.pdf
              Last edited by CafeLotta; 15 May 2019, 10:44 AM. Reason: Added Isomac Zaffiro link

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                The thing they have in common is a 58mm portafilter basket size. Any 58mm speciality filter baskets like VST and tampers you might buy for a Silvia
                will fit E61 portafilters so can be used on an upgrade machine in the future.



                Found a review with internal pictures of the Zaffiro. It uses a capillary bulb thermostat similar to the later model Vibiemme Piccolo so if you were ever that way inclined, a PID mod can be done by removing the thermostat bulb from the top of the boiler and mounting an appropriate sensor for a PID. May look at doing this with a Zaffiro myself in the future and save some money instead of buying a ECM Classika PID. Sounds like a very capable machine as is though and good value. Also offers a good platform for those that like to tinker.

                Capillary Bulb thermostat (Capillary tubing inside red insulation). Probe bulb inserted through top of boiler and has direct contact with water (No thermowell so has increased sensitivity).

                [ATTACH=CONFIG]22164[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]22165[/ATTACH]


                https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/I...oserlookv5.pdf
                Thank you for the reply and indirect answer to my question about E61 espresso machine. Indeed ECM Classika PID is the cheapest and the best machine in the single boiler category. Many dealers are very confident in this machine and happy to provide very positive reviews.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by ilichev View Post
                  Thank you for the reply and indirect answer to my question about E61 espresso machine. Indeed ECM Classika PID is the cheapest and the best machine in the single boiler category. Many dealers are very confident in this machine and happy to provide very positive reviews.
                  The Isomac Zaffiro is the cheapest in the E61 single boiler category and is available nearly $500 cheaper (I've seen it as low as $1426), than the ECM Classika PID. Andy has given a positive opinion of the Zaffiro earlier in this thread.

                  Your comment "Many dealers are very confident in this machine and happy to provide very positive reviews" sounds more like someone that has a vested interest in publicising this machine rather than someone looking to buy one. As I said earlier in the thread, the timing of your posts coincides with a new shipment of these machines so people can make of this what they will.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                    As I said earlier in the thread, the timing of your posts coincides with a new shipment of these machines so people can make of this what they will.
                    I wonder what we should make of this?

                    Dons foil beanie, with ear flaps.
                    Last edited by Yelta; 18 May 2019, 12:11 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Illchev, I can tell you the Classika isn't the choice of the really thrifty. If cost is your primary factor in purchasing try the Aldi pod machine for $79. Or if you are really cost concious get an aeropress https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/V...s-coffee-maker for $29 I use the aerpress and recommend it

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                        The Isomac Zaffiro is the cheapest in the E61 single boiler category and is available nearly $500 cheaper (I've seen it as low as $1426), than the ECM Classika PID. Andy has given a positive opinion of the Zaffiro earlier in this thread.

                        Your comment "Many dealers are very confident in this machine and happy to provide very positive reviews" sounds more like someone that has a vested interest in publicising this machine rather than someone looking to buy one. As I said earlier in the thread, the timing of your posts coincides with a new shipment of these machines so people can make of this what they will.

                        Absolutely, I was going to respond to one of the earlier posts (#25) by asking 'are you trying to buy one of these or sell them?'. Pretty shameless stuff.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          I wonder what we should make of this

                          Dons foil beanie, with ear flaps.
                          Why take any chances. Go for full coverage like this example. My preferred option.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	FullCoverage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	750028

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                            Why take any chances. Go for full coverage like this example. My preferred option.
                            Like it CL, why take chances indeed, this option gives almost complete protection.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Tinfoil.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	750029

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I'm happy to confirm that Alex is, in fact, the happy new owner of an ECM Classika PID. Foil beanies can be removed

                              charlie

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
                                I'm happy to confirm that Alex is, in fact, the happy new owner of an ECM Classika PID. Foil beanies can be removed

                                charlie
                                That's a relief!

                                Well done Alex (Ilichev?) keep us informed as to your experience with the new machine.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X