Advice needed: replacing my now twice-faulty BES920

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed: replacing my now twice-faulty BES920

So, I'm a bit fed up with my current machine, and want to move into the pointy end. I've had the 920 for 4.5 years now, and it has needed repairs twice; the second time is right now. I believe it's the solenoid (again). Took great care of it, two coffees a day, and did all the right things; got a lemon I guess.

Symptoms are basically that once starting a cycle, the pre-infusion happens for the usual 7 odd seconds, but then a noisier "pump" doesn't kick in. I've worked out that if I fully flush the boilers (via the descale port), it comes good again for 10 or so shots. Will be trying my luck and having a go at Breville for a repair, and then moving on from it.

My summary: I'm no barista, but know my good vs bad taste, and I'm an engineer, so not afraid of a process of getting the right coffee based on grind, etc. I'm in Victoria.

Anyway, looking at an Italian machine, something along the lines of a Magister. Brewing house down the road wants $2,100 for the Magister Stella Pro. They say "parts only" warranty though, and the short answers have me cautious. The other warning light is that I basically can't seem to find this brand sold anywhere in Australia (at least Vic)... odd.

Based on what I can tell, I'd want an E61, no fancy electronics (another bad point for the 920), so easier/cheaper to service/repair, and stainless steel is always sexy. Budget up to around the $2k mark. I think I've read here to perhaps avoid the Quickmill stuff?

I've never descaled (that warning on the 920 conveniently popped up each time for repair), and I think I'd need to filter the water as well to potentially avoid scaling issues?

So... yeah. Any help appreciated, as I'm pretty sure I only have a week or so left with this damned 920.

I was in your position a few weeks ago and went through Expobar Office Leva.

A fine machine albeit a little rough around the edges in terms of cosmetic finishing.

$2K.
    A very fair price imo for an E61 HX that is as capable as machines $3K+

I purchased new from CoffeeARoma.

No PID which many will claim is important, but I prefer the lack of electronics. My research suggests the machine should last 10+ years without any major $ spent, the typical issues around 10 years are minor $50 replacement parts that are user replaceable which means no delivery of the machine to a workshop and no downtime.

Comment

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...end-1500-3000/

Comment

Originally posted by flort View Post
        I've had the 920 for 4.5 years now, and it has needed repairs twice; the second time is right now.
        Just to manage expectations, it's likely that even a good european made machine is going to need servicing once or twice in that sort of timeframe. There are wear and tear parts that need to be replaced every couple of years, like anti vac valves, pressurestats, valves and seals.

The difference I guess is that the main dealers like the site sponsors can service most common machines that they sell, and parts are often pretty standard. With a service every couple of years, good machines will perform for many years.

Comment

Don’t buy a Magister.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
            Don’t buy a Magister.
            Why is that mate?

Mal.

Comment

For around $2K the Lelit Mara is worth considering too - temperature stable HX with E61 with good parts availability.

charlie

Comment

Oh, this thread lit up finally, thanks

Originally posted by BobSac View Post
                I was in your position a few weeks ago and went through Expobar Office Leva.
                Yep, nice, that's exactly what I did.

A fine machine albeit a little rough around the edges in terms of cosmetic finishing.

$2K.
                A very fair price imo for an E61 HX that is as capable as machines $3K+
                Yeah. And you know what? That's what I love about the Leva... I love that it's rough. It weighs a ton, is tough, and super good looking to me.

No PID which many will claim is important, but I prefer the lack of electronics. My research suggests the machine should last 10+ years without any major $ spent, the typical issues around 10 years are minor $50 replacement parts that are user replaceable which means no delivery of the machine to a workshop and no downtime.
                Exactly what I found too. Totally agree on the lack of electronics as well, which is ultimately what bit me with the BES920. Too complicated inside.

I'm still fighting the dialin phase. I'm getting there. The Breville grinder I have probably isn't helping, but making progress. I'm using the single shot filter, but in the double porta; easier to tamp I think because of the two spouts. Struggled initially with the single, because I think I wasn't leaving enough room for the gap to the shower.

Current issues are:

• Just not enough flow, but tuning that slowly with grind size, amount, etc. Having to run a bit longer than I think I should be
                • Very dry pucks at the end; not sure if this is just normal with pointy-end machines? Makes binning them quite hard
                • Hitting 11+ BAR when extracting; not sure if the grind is still too fine or what
                • Pretty average steaming. The BES had the wand on the right, and I'm left-handed, so it's like I'm two years old again learning to write, lol

Comment

If you're implying "go search and read", I did all that. Thought I'd start up a thread anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
                    Just to manage expectations, it's likely that even a good european made machine is going to need servicing once or twice in that sort of timeframe. There are wear and tear parts that need to be replaced every couple of years, like anti vac valves, pressurestats, valves and seals.

The difference I guess is that the main dealers like the site sponsors can service most common machines that they sell, and parts are often pretty standard. With a service every couple of years, good machines will perform for many years.
                    Yeah, servicing is one thing. Faults is another. I totally get that there are "moving parts" so to speak, but this was beyond a joke I feel. Not a lie, only doing two cups a day. It wasn't getting hammered, and was well looked after.

I laughed when the service guy the first time around half had a go at me for not caring for it; I did everything as instructed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                      Why is that mate?

Mal.
                      Glad I didn't, but also interested as to why... it's why I was hesitant on them, and posed it here; distinct lack of noise around them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                        Why is that mate?

Mal.
                        I could be harsh and say that they’re crap. Maybe a nicer way of saying it is- for around $2000 there are at least 3 or 4 other brands that offer much better value for money. I’d suggest the OP fills in the quote form on CS to see what site sponsors have at that price point at the moment.

Comment

Yeah, servicing is one thing. Faults is another. I totally get that there are "moving parts" so to speak, but this was beyond a joke I feel. Not a lie, only doing two cups a day. It wasn't getting hammered, and was well looked after.

I laughed when the service guy the first time around half had a go at me for not caring for it; I did everything as instructed.
                          If the service tech said something to imply that the level of care could’ve been better he’s probably seen some evidence to indicate this other than the fault. I would try not to take offense and listen to any advice they might have on proper care, cleaning and preventative maintenance. Note that what Breville direct you to do in the manual is what I would consider very much the bare minimum and would be a lot lower level of care than most machines owned by forum members would receive. It’s one of the most important things to learn as a $4000 prosumer machine can be killed just as quickly as an appliance brand machine without due care.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                            If the service tech said something to imply that the level of care could’ve been better he’s probably seen some evidence to indicate this other than the fault. I would try not to take offense and listen to any advice they might have on proper care, cleaning and preventative maintenance.
                            The best he came up with was that I was tightening the group too much, and the o-ring was borked. That was his only advice, other than to say "yep, we see these machines all the time, with the solenoid being the main thing." $82 on it's own.

Meanwhile, this was the repair list:
                            • Inner shower screen
                            • One way valve
                            • Solenoid ("cpl" I think?)
                            • O-rings
                            • OPV

I'm obviously no expert, but some of that seems wear and tear, and some not.

He may have also caught wiff of it being a repair covered under extended warranty.

Comment

I'm still fighting the dialin phase. I'm getting there. The Breville grinder I have probably isn't helping, but making progress. I'm using the single shot filter, but in the double porta; easier to tamp I think because of the two spouts. Struggled initially with the single, because I think I wasn't leaving enough room for the gap to the shower.

Current issues are:
                              • Just not enough flow, but tuning that slowly with grind size, amount, etc. Having to run a bit longer than I think I should be
                              • Very dry pucks at the end; not sure if this is just normal with pointy-end machines? Makes binning them quite hard
                              • Hitting 11+ BAR when extracting; not sure if the grind is still too fine or what
                              This sounds to me like it could all be caused by overdosing. How many grams of coffee are you putting in this single basket?

Comment

Working...
                              X