• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounds spraying everywhere at pressure-61 , need troubleshooting advice

Hi brainstrust. - I have a problem which I can’t figure out

First I have already replaced the seal but it didn’t fix the problem

Machine - diadema junior extra - 10 years old or so
    The problem: with filter basket full as normal, 15g basket in bottomless portafilter (18 months old), gets to pressure as normal then suddenly grounds blow out to the rear of the group head, leaving a hole in the very soggy puck. I assumed this was to do with the seal, so bought a new seal and .5 spacer and exactly the same thing happened.

Blind filter doesn’t leak and works as it should.
    When removing blind filter there is no pressure left in the group, ie works as normal
    Tried a finer grind with less grounds so I could turn the PF further - no change
    I can’t see anything wrong with the filter or PF
    I couldn’t remove the screw above the shower screen to clean it if that’s relevant

Any ideas?

Old grime above the seal, in the seal groove?

Comment

You do need to get that screw out, 18mths plus is a long time between screen cleans.

Comment

Being an E61 i take it the screw you are referring to is the one in the group visible after you remove the shower screen? THat is a dispersion "thingie".

If you are getting no leaks with a blind, then either your basket edge where it seals is damaged/uneven, or perhaps your are over dosing in a big way? Have you done the 5c test to judge tamped dose level?

If you spin the basket around 180 degrees does the leak point location move accordingly? This could confirm basket issue.

Grab a silicone seal next time you are getting parts, much better than the rubber, stays more supple and doesnt tend to bake on.

Cheers

Comment

Oh, a screw ABOVE the screens.. I don't know about that...

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
            Being an E61 i take it the screw you are referring to is the one in the group visible after you remove the shower screen? THat is a dispersion "thingie".

If you are getting no leaks with a blind, then either your basket edge where it seals is damaged/uneven, or perhaps your are over dosing in a big way? Have you done the 5c test to judge tamped dose level?

If you spin the basket around 180 degrees does the leak point location move accordingly? This could confirm basket issue.

Grab a silicone seal next time you are getting parts, much better than the rubber, stays more supple and doesnt tend to bake on.

Cheers
            This is a good test.

I’ve done a new test this morning - swapped the working PF and taken the blind out and put a second filter in and it poured. Not the PF handle because it works with blind in it.

I suspect it’s the filter basket which is as old as the machine - do they actually wear out? And yes I over fill, works best to get an even 30 second pour, but maybe a good quality filter might fix that (Downside of bottomless is you can see the damage that too firm a ramp can make)

Comment

Pop out your basket and place it on a smooth bench top upside down. See if it sits flat on the bench.

It may have buckled, and therefore not sealing against the gasket.

Comment

If your pour is not within the time you want then just adjust the grind.

If you dose too much then the screen can disturb the puck as you lock in the PF and create channeling opportunity.

You have the naked which is great to confirm /refine your technique.

Jackster on the e61 the basket is held in with the seal by friction. Very simple and effective design.

Cheers

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the advice - postcript for you....

Obviously it was the basket in some way, and after looking at it a few times (mainly looking at the top edge) I couldn’t figure it out, but this morning looked again, and suddenly I see what the problem was....

It’s amazing this wasn’t obvious the first time - though the picture is very much magnified of course
                  Attached Files

Comment

Glad you solved it Pharmaboy.

Ever wonder if you waste too much of your life scouring the portafilter clean?

Comment

I think your shower screens might also need a clean.
                      But on the plus- time for a vst basket!

Comment

Hmmm...

Maybe you're tamping just a little bit too hard...

Mal.

Comment

Maybe overdosing a little too, the grinds getting squished between shower screen and basket base.

Comment

Working...
                          X