Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which HX machine for $2000 - $2500? Rocket, Isomac, Expobar pro's and con's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which HX machine for $2000 - $2500? Rocket, Isomac, Expobar pro's and con's?

I'm finally getting around to purchasing a new machine!

I'm pretty set on either the Rocket Appartamento or the Isomac Tea Due.
    Mainly wondering if the extra $500 is worth it for the Rocket or is the Isomac in the same class?

Other options I that seem to fit the bill are the Expobar office Leva or La Povoni Cellini Premium E61.

Any other suggestions would be great, considering $2500 is my absolute max, wanting to pick up the Isomac on sale for $1900 really!
    I manly make latte's and caps about 4 - 6 a day.

I use a Compak K3 touch with beans from Red Bean Cafe down the road (freshly roasted)

My questions are...

Are they all relatively similar build quality? I would like it to last 10 years or so and feel solid.

Which are the loudest? I know about vibration pumps being louder than rotary. But don't think i can afford them!

Which is the easiest or cheapest to service in Melbourne? Or best support base?

Any major downfalls of any particular unit?

I am impatient, and don't like a long process, I will be using timers but are any significantly faster or slower?

And any advice or feedback from owners of these machines would be great!

Thanks,
    Angus

Originally posted by Gusman View Post
    I'm finally getting around to purchasing a new machine!

I'm pretty set on either the Rocket Appartamento or the Isomac Tea Due.
    Mainly wondering if the extra $500 is worth it for the Rocket or is the Isomac in the same class?

Other options I that seem to fit the bill are the Expobar office Leva or La Povoni Cellini Premium E61.

Any other suggestions would be great, considering $2500 is my absolute max, wanting to pick up the Isomac on sale for $1900 really!
    I manly make latte's and caps about 4 - 6 a day.

I use a Compak K3 touch with beans from Red Bean Cafe down the road (freshly roasted)

My questions are...
    The only ones who could offer experience based advice on all those machines are those who sell them . If you are based in Melbourne, you will be able to visit quite a few shops/ cafes that range some if not all machines on your short list. They may even advise about machines you haven't considered. The main thing is you get to look at and demo those machines. You could also try the Quote Form

Comment

Don't buy an unmodified Tea.

They run super hot, and at 12+Bar. The pump microswitches are also flaky as.

I know of a business which used to modify them and they were then not bad, but nobody wanted to cover the $$$ for the mods. They stopped selling them.

Expobar- agricultural but also requires mods to get the best of it (better than the Tea). Appartamento, better than both of them. The Pav I have no experience but companies which steal the designs of other companies sheet me to tears.

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
        Don't buy an unmodified Tea.

They run super hot, and at 12+Bar. The pump microswitches are also flaky as.

I know of a business which used to modify them and they were then not bad, but nobody wanted to cover the $$$ for the mods. They stopped selling them.

Expobar- agricultural but also requires mods to get the best of it (better than the Tea). Appartamento, better than both of them. The Pav I have no experience but companies which steal the designs of other companies sheet me to tears.
        I've recently rebuilt a Isomac Tea can't comment on the life of the microswitch what I will say though is the OVP is adjustable so reducing it from 12bar is easy from what I understand most retailers will set it for you before shipping. I fitted the 2.5mm Teflon Gigleur which is my understanding that all new versions of the machine come with this fitted (Maybe a Brass one) this fixes the running hot problem.

Gusman with the above said it would seem the Rocket has a better reputation I can't comment on that machine I've not owned one. I don't think you will make a mistake either way.

Comment

At 10 years (+), $500 comes out to $1 a week. Do you appreciate using a machine with a high-end finish? If so go the Rocket. If not get hands on with them both and decide in the flesh. What's your location? Trying them out in person is highly beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggy42 View Post
            I've recently rebuilt a Isomac Tea can't comment on the life of the microswitch what I will say though is the OVP is adjustable so reducing it from 12bar is easy from what I understand most retailers will set it for you before shipping. I fitted the 2.5mm Teflon Gigleur which is my understanding that all new versions of the machine come with this fitted (Maybe a Brass one) this fixes the running hot problem.

Gusman with the above said it would seem the Rocket has a better reputation I can't comment on that machine I've not owned one. I don't think you will make a mistake either way.

Thanks for your feedback, I had a look at the Profitec pro and La pavoni Cellini today, Profitec is nice but still thinki I'll go with the Rocket!

Hopefully get to look at one this week and do some more comparisons.

Cheers!

Comment

I have an ECM Synchronika, a cousin to the Profitec line and can speak to the fact that this machine will outlive me and most of the common world, I suspect Profitec will also. However, the main reason I'm chiming in here is that there is another topic here on this forum that you might want to read before making a decision because there are a couple educational posts that I think you should read. Also, Jet-black espresso talks about an Hx machine that does not need a cooling flush before extraction, well at least not the PID version of it and he said it was the Lelit Mara 62T, there is a link to it in the post. Personally, I am not a 100% believer but suppose it could be true but maybe only under certain conditions, basically I have to see it before I believe it :-) That said, its still a good post for you to read.

Just go here --> https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...ne-advice.html

Comment

Originally posted by Martino View Post
                at least not the PID version of it and he said it was the Lelit Mara 62T, there is a link to it in the post. Personally, I am not a 100% believer but suppose it could be true but maybe only under certain conditions, basically I have to see it before I believe it :-) That said, its still a good post for you to read.
                PID controlled or P/stat, makes no difference as it is more to do with properties of thermodynamics than the method of control used...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusman View Post
                  ...........I had a look at the Profitec pro and La pavoni Cellini today, Profitec is nice but still thinki I'll go with the Rocket!
                  A review of the Profitec 500 PID with some Scace info included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ps4JfqRPuI

Comment

I've had my Profitec Pro 500 PID for about 1 week now. I can confirm that no cooling flush is needed before extraction. I'm pulling lovely shots with this machine (pic below is a shot using Jetblack's 'Royal' blend).
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4981.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	750429
                    Attached Files

Comment

Of course you are pulling shots but what is the temp of the water being used for those shots?

Comment

The PID is factory set at 120c

Comment

Right, and that's way too hot for brewing coffee, that is the temp of the steam boiler. What is the temp of the water that is being used to brew your coffee if you are not doing a cooling flush?

Comment

With the PID set at 120C, the brew temp is around 93C.

Comment

Did you actually measure it to be 93 without a cooling flush yourself?

Comment

Working...
                              X