Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Giotto Premium rebuild time!

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Giotto Premium which I bought second hand some time ago and it has been going strong for many years now! Issues started when the group wasn't releasing pressure after finishing a shot, so I pulled the group off... and now it's kinda snowballed haha

I'm rebuilding the group, replacing all the silicone piping and T piece, new pump and mounts, stripping the unit down and sandblasting the steel parts of the body and repainting them and then hopefully putting it all back together correctly.

My query is, is there anything else you would recommend upgrading/improving while I have it all open?
    Anyway of smothering the noise of the pump?
    The white powder at the end of the heating element doesn't look 'standard' :P The boiler is full right now though, so I'm not sure how to remove it without creating a mess! I would say if the upper sleeve had that much scale, the heating element probably is in pretty poor condition as well...

Cheers
    Pete
    Attached Files

Originally posted by bainpj View Post
    The boiler is full right now though, so I'm not sure how to remove it without creating a mess!
    You should be able to syphon off the water in the boiler using a small-ish diameter plastic or rubber hose...
    Definitely worth giving the boiler and all the related pipework a thorough descaling too, while you're at it Pete. Use the Clean Machine Triple Action descaler would be my recommendation.

Mal.

Comment

Once the machine is reassembled or pull it all apart and soak it in a dish?

Comment

Presumably a hx machine?
        Don't forget to descale the hx part of the boiler.
        Add a gicleur in the top hx pipe if it doesn't have one..

Knock that fluff off the end of element and monitor for new growths
        Last edited by Jackster; 16 August 2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Nice before and after shots. The white powder on the element terminals could be acidic corrosion. But from where? Wipe it off and clean with a little bicarb of soda in water.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
            Presumably a hx machine?
            Don't forget to descale the hx part of the boiler.
            Add a gicleur in the top hx pipe if it doesn't have one..

Knock that fluff off the end of element and monitor for new growths
            Yeah hx machine. I normally just fill the tank with water and a descaling solution. Doesn't that do the hx part?

Is it easy enough to remove the heating element to clean and check the amount of scale?

What's a gicleur?

Comment

Not sure? Will clean it and keep an eye on it.

Comment

Assuming most of the build up on the Mushroom is as a result of your time with the machine -
                as you stated 'purchased second hand some time ago' ....so maybe is / or is not the previous owner?
                However the scale shows your likely to need Water Filtration....read the sticky regarding filtration in
                Extreme machines from TC. This will save you from a lot of what your renovating this time.

Good Luck with the rebuild.

Comment

I have a HiFLOW filter. Seems to work as we haven't had to clean our kettle since we got it? We can't install a second low flow tap in our kitchen so am limited to something that can filter all the cold water to our kitchen sink.

Comment

Bit of an update! Everything stripped down, lots of photos and a hell of a lot of nerves. Thankfully no pipes or threads were damaged. Actually impressed by the lack of severe scale considering the state of the mushroom.
                    Next step is to buy some descaler, soak all the nessesary bits and get the chassis sandblasted and powder coated.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Any upgrades worth doing at the same time?
                      Better pressurestat (stock ma-ter)?
                      Insulate the boiler (and with what)?
                      Etc...

Comment

All descaled and spent the evening polishing the bread /copper. Came up beautiful!
                        Anyone have a source for better / bigger feet?
                        Attached Files

Comment

https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/parts...s-machine-legs

Comment

Well after a couple weeks of leaving the panels off to check for leaks, she's back in business and working better than I can ever remember!
                            So in the end, new:
                            Pump
                            Heating element
                            Every seal and oring
                            Silicone hoses
                            Group valves

Every thing fully descaled and polished, lubed and reassembled. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191012_205212.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	750780

Comment

Excellent outcome Pete...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X