X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expobar Minore or Profitec Pro 500

Hello there,

*obligatory first time post notification *

I have a gaggia machine and a sunbeam grinder and I am looking at upgrading. I have now purchased a Mignon silenzio which is on its way.

I am almost set on an expobar minore but can’t help looking at the profitecs. I would love a 600 but that is really stretching the budget so looking at the 500.

I understand the functional differences in the two machines, mainly dual boiler vs hx, but not sure that the difference is as much as people are saying. I like the perceived quality of the profitecs but I like the idea of the double boiler and the expobar seems like really good value.

I make mostly milk based drinks so I need the steam.

Anyone able to to talk me into either?

Hi Raw,

I cant comment on the Profitec however I can say i too did a similar upgrade to what you are looking for back in the days to a Exopbar Minore. It never missed a beat, looked great and always made a decent cup of coffee. I now have a HX machine and to be honest i found the stability of the Dual boiler a lot more easy to handle. This is a personal choice though.

At the end of the day I think you are going to see a big difference from what you have now to what you will get with either of these machines. That said i think the Styling of the Expobar isnt as fancy as some of the other machines. Still looked good on the bench when i had it.

May i add, whatever you are looking at getting, my advice like many around here is to consider a grinder into the mix as well if you haven't already.

Cheer,

Chris

Comment

The Minore and Office series must be close to end of life cycle now. They are robust but they're definitely "agricultural".

I'm looking forward to what's next....

Comment

What are your reasons for wanting a double boiler? If you think it has superior steaming capability, then that is not necessarily the case. I recently bought a Profitec Pro 600 and it doesn't have better steaming capacity than my old Giotto HX. Onereason for buying a DB is that I liked the ability to set the temp of the brew and boilers independently. With an HX, you have to compromise between brew temperature and steam capacity.
        If you are making mainly milk -based drinks then the Pro 500 will easily meet that need including the ability to simultaneously pour shots and steam milk. The Minore is a good reliable machine as many owners will attest but it has been around for a while. I like the appearance of the Profitec over the 'boofier' Minore but that's just my opinion.
        Can you get to a seller to view and demo these machines (and more)?
        Last edited by flynnaus; 18 August 2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
          Hi Raw,

May i add, whatever you are looking at getting, my advice like many around here is to consider a grinder into the mix as well if you haven't already.

Cheer,

Chris
          Thanks Chris, I ordered the Eureka Mignon Silenzio yesterday. Looking forward to getting that, it looks like it will suite my needs well!

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
            The Minore and Office series must be close to end of life cycle now. They are robust but they're definitely "agricultural".

I'm looking forward to what's next....
            i guess I am not so concerned about the agricultural looks, I like the functionality of the machine, or at least what I have googled on it. It will look waaaayyyy better than the Gaggia that I have!

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
              What are your reasons for wanting a double boiler? If you think it has superior steaming capability, then that is not necessarily the case. I recently bought a Profitec Pro 600 and it doesn't have better steaming capacity than my old Giotto HX. Onereason for buying a DB is that I liked the ability to set the temp of the brew and boilers independently. With an HX, you have to compromise between brew temperature and steam capacity.
              If you are making mainly milk -based drinks then the Pro 500 will easily meet that need including the ability to simultaneously pour shots and steam milk. The Minore is a good reliable machine as many owners will attest but it has been around for a while. I like the appearance of the Profitec over the 'boofier' Minore but that's just my opinion.
              Can you get to a seller to view and demo these machines (and more)?
              I suppose the temperature stability is the main thing, or I guess repeatability is a better word. The idea of inferred temperature based on the way the hx is designed rather than allowing me to directly set the temperature independently (although I know the brew water temperature is inferred anyway). It just makes more sense to me to isolate the control loops as the hx may require a bit more messing around.

Again though, I may be overthinking the benefits of the double boiler. I am way, way down the rabbit hole and have taken so many turns that I don’t even know which way is up anymore

Comment

I've got a 13 year old Minore and its still going strong. I like the looks of it but can see how, when compared to a Profitec, it can seem a bit plain. But you won't have both in your kitchen to compare, so its really a non-issue. I picked it up second hand but I've had experiencing replacing parts in 4 previous coffee machines, so was willing to take the risk with an older machine. I haven't had to replace anything yet.

Another tip, if you get either machine, is to buy a 0.01g scale from e(vil)bay (cost me $15-20) or a pricy Acaia one (if you believe its that much more accurate - hint, its not), so you can measure the output of coffee (by weight). This has made a big difference to my shot consistency, as I now weigh both ground coffee going into the PF as well extraction volume into the cup. The only variables I now have to deal with are technique and beans going stale.

Comment

Originally posted by dischucker View Post
                  I've got a 13 year old Minore and its still going strong. I like the looks of it but can see how, when compared to a Profitec, it can seem a bit plain. But you won't have both in your kitchen to compare, so its really a non-issue. I picked it up second hand but I've had experiencing replacing parts in 4 previous coffee machines, so was willing to take the risk with an older machine. I haven't had to replace anything yet.

Another tip, if you get either machine, is to buy a 0.01g scale from e(vil)bay (cost me $15-20) or a pricy Acaia one (if you believe its that much more accurate - hint, its not), so you can measure the output of coffee (by weight). This has made a big difference to my shot consistency, as I now weigh both ground coffee going into the PF as well extraction volume into the cup. The only variables I now have to deal with are technique and beans going stale.
                  Thanks, yeah I’m sure if I got the minore it will be a solid machine and will last years before I need to upgrade.

toyed with the idea of a scale too and I think you are right. Saw some Rhino ones for about $30 which I might look at. Can’t validate the Acaia scale price wise. As long as the repeatability is there I’m fine with the scale being a little less accurate.

Comment

Working...
                  X