Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine upgrade ..decisions!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Machine upgrade ..decisions!

    Hi all,

    I currently have a Rancilio Silvia v3 and Rocky v3 Doserless grinder. For now I will be keeping the grinder but looking to upgrade (looking to spend around the 2.5k mark).

    From reviews and availability, I'm weighing up the following 3 machines (ordered in preference) but keen to get some people suggestions/thoughts/pro's and cons etc. Any info is appreciated

    1. ECM Mechanika V Slim
    2. Rocket Appartamento
    3. Expobar Minore IV

    Cheers!

  • #2
    Are you needing small footprint? I went looking at the ECM and Rocket machines about a year ago, and ended up buying a rebadged full footprint rebadged ECM from DiBartoli (DiBartoli Lumina). Upgraded from a Silvia v1 and the difference is amazing - it would want to be for the $$ though!

    I preferred the controls on the larger machine - levers rather than rotary controls for steam/water on the ECM and Rocket. YMMV

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks mate, was not aware of that model! footprint is not an issue, just seemed to be the smaller ones that I had come across that I liked features/function wise. Is that rebadged ECM a straight up Mechanika version (non slim) or is it a completely different machine from their normal line up? its in the price bracket and keeps the ECM quality I was looking for.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd hold off on Expobar. The just released Crem One models are far better and will be at similar price points. VBM have a new Domobar Junior model coming and if it's better inside, it's worth shortlisting.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
          VBM have a new Domobar Junior model coming and if it's better inside, it's worth shortlisting.
          Quite a big revamp right across the VBM range. Will be interesting to see if the previous longevity and servicing issues have been resolved for the Junior Hx model.

          I'm quite interested to see how the Single Boiler Domobar PID model shapes up and if we'll see it here to challenge the ECM Classika PID.

          The new Super mentions Pressure Profiles in it's Spec Sheet.

          https://www.vbmespresso.com/en/home-barista/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
            Quite a big revamp right across the VBM range. Will be interesting to see if the previous longevity and servicing issues have been resolved for the Junior Hx model.

            I'm quite interested to see how the Single Boiler Domobar PID model shapes up and if we'll see it here to challenge the ECM Classika PID.

            The new Super mentions Pressure Profiles in it's Spec Sheet.

            https://www.vbmespresso.com/en/home-barista/
            Agreed on all fronts. 3 models of super. The basic analogue version is a rotary pump HX- an effective upgrade on the previous HX super. Upgrade from there and you're in what was previously 2B territory in that you're talking dual boiler. The new form factor of these versions adds capacitive touchpad and pressure profiling. No mention of actual pump type though in the specs of top end models. May be gear pump or perhaps they have come to their own solution? I'm watching with interest.

            Comment


            • #7
              Really interesting stuff from both Expobar and Vibiemme. Hopefully ECM and Rocket and other brands are forced to follow suit and explore profiling pumps/machines, they probably have it in the works already.

              Looks like the dual boiler has pressure profiling and PID adjustable from the LCD screen, makes you wonder about longevity but would really neat being able to have them so easily tweakable. I assume there would be dual PIDs so one for the steam boiler as well. Features like these would have some of the decent features (although a much smaller screen) in a classic E61 format. If they happen to support bluetooth to talk to PCs and bluetooth devices like scales that would be super cool.

              Comment


              • #8
                I did exactly the same thing with very similar choices of machine,

                I chose the ECM because I liked the rotary valves, small footprint, visual presentation, and German / Italian heritage.

                I have no regrets whatsoever

                YMMV

                Originally posted by trentslaw View Post
                Hi all,

                I currently have a Rancilio Silvia v3 and Rocky v3 Doserless grinder. For now I will be keeping the grinder but looking to upgrade (looking to spend around the 2.5k mark).

                From reviews and availability, I'm weighing up the following 3 machines (ordered in preference) but keen to get some people suggestions/thoughts/pro's and cons etc. Any info is appreciated

                1. ECM Mechanika V Slim
                2. Rocket Appartamento
                3. Expobar Minore IV

                Cheers!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by flashpixx View Post
                  I did exactly the same thing with very similar choices of machine,

                  I chose the ECM because I liked the rotary valves, small footprint, visual presentation, and German / Italian heritage.

                  I have no regrets whatsoever

                  YMMV

                  Yep absolutely. After further looking I think I've narrowed it down to Meachanika V Slim or the older, Technika IV (normal version, not profi). Would anyone recommend one over the other? Dont really need small footprint but the slim has the same boiler size (slightly less water tank) but has a SS boiler and some updated features being a newer generation. From the specs I cant see anything that shows the Technika IV as providing any additional benefit over the Mechanika slim?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If I were to go again I’d prefer a PID. Other than that, the water tank on the Slim could be bigger. I have the added issue of having to make up my own water for the machine as our tap water is unusable in a stainless boiler.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm in the similar position. I have been using a Lelit combi for over 10 years now and it's time to upgrade.

                      I don't usually drink milk coffees and get about 2~3 shots a day. I had similar options but at the same time wondering whether I should go for the HX or just get an upgraded version of Lelit as it did the job well.

                      I am also in need of a grinder too. Any recommendations coffee lovers?

                      What would be the best bang for buck combination for a person like me?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lots of options with Lelit if you want to stick with the brand that’s served you so well . Or get in contact and we can help with all the options (including trade in deals )

                        charlie

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          New Lelit dropping soon MaraX, could be worth considering to op and other poster;

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hmmm...

                            Some interesting design considerations incorporated in this Lelit.

                            Mal.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I was in similar situation.
                              I have
                              - (still have it) Silvia ( I think it is V2) with Auber PID
                              - Rocky Grinder

                              Wanted to upgrade - as an espresso drinker I did not like my shots.

                              I got a second hand Wega 6.8 (same as Compak K-10) grinder with freshly replaced burrs.
                              It was in 2012. The difference was ridiculous. Quality of espresso shots became very consistent.
                              I still have my Silvia - if you precise with the weight of coffee and the tamp - results are quite good.

                              Still thinking to upgrade from Silvia - but do not expect any great difference now (better machine will only improve consistency and user experience)
                              but when making espressos Silvia does job well if you are pedantic enough.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X