Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazyrob
    replied
    sorry everyone i made a mistake with the lelit machine its the PL41LEM me bad.

Anyways been holding back on getting a new machine until i get my tax back. But we will be spending about $2k-$3k on a second hand one, that's if i can find the 'one' for us. Or just get a new one.

Any recommendations for new? ?

Leave a comment:

• CafeLotta
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyrob View Post
    Thoughts of a second hand profitec 700 pro pid for 2k? It's from a shop
    Cons and pros
    What should I look out for ? Never bought a second mechine
    I'd be asking them to demonstrate the machine with the cover off so you can check for leaks and also to see the general condition inside (any rust etc or previous leaks). The biggest unknown will be the condition of the boilers internally but this is the case with any 2nd hand machine.

At $2000 you've still saved a fair bit which would cover some potential repairs before it becomes a bad buy. If the rest of the machine looks to be in good condition it may be worth the risk, especially if it has a reasonable warranty.

Are you sure it's the Profitec Pro 700 Dual Boiler and not the 500 Hx machine?

Leave a comment:

• flynnaus
    replied
    The Profitec Pro 700 is an excellent machine but $2000 sounds cheap for a second hand pro 700. it's possibly either an absolute bargain or needs a lot of work, or it's bung and should be avoided. If the machine comes with a warranty, it could be worthwhile.

Things to look out for
    Excessive wear and tear. Look under the drip tray too.
    Components missing e.g. portafilters, blind filter.
    Run your finger inside the grouphead and check for gunk suggesting the machine hasn't been well maintained.
    Ensure the PID is working . It should show the temp of the brew and steam boilers , and when you engage the brew lever, the shot timer should begin.
    Sounds a bit risky. Can you inspect it before buying or do you know the history of it. If you are able to inspect, get them to make a coffee from it. Ideally, take someone with you who knows something about espresso machines.
    Last edited by flynnaus; 22nd January 2020, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• crazyrob
    replied
    Thoughts of a second hand profitec 700 pro pid for 2k? It's from a shop
    Cons and pros
    What should I look out for ? Never bought a second mechine

I have also used some high end machines like Kees van der westen Mirage and sprint, La marzocco linea.
    Also had some training by Toby estate over about an year ago when i got onto the mirage

Cheers robbie
    Last edited by crazyrob; 22nd January 2020, 06:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TampIt
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyrob View Post
    Don't get me wrong that the lelit is a good brand.
    The reason why i went with a small lelit because i had a small area to do my coffees with. But now I'm in a bigger place and with a much nicer area to work with, I can upgrade.
    I also have family over and always make coffees. I just hate it that i cant brew and steam at the same time.
    I also work at a cafe as a barista and have used some high end machines.
    G'Day crazyrob

"I just hate it that i cant brew and steam at the same time." +1. I actually bought a Decent DE1 with my eyes open (I wanted to equal my manual lever Electra without the arcane rituals & 2 coffee in a sane time limit). Unfortunately, like the Electra, it needs another machine next to it to do the milk... easily its worst "feature". The DE1's milk wand has only been used twice (testing, testing) and I am close to taking it off altogether (one bolt). I certainly wish it didn't even have one in the first place.

I have also used / owned some pretty high end machines - Strada was my previous fave out of the "semi-autos", however the Electra beat it (and the Linea, my GS3, my La Pavoni 2 group, Wega 2 group, La Cimbali 3 group etc etc) hands down in the cuppa (for the first two cups, anyway). My choice was eventually down to a Cremina Olympia (an even better manual lever than the Electra) or to go out on a limb and buy an "everything adjustable" toy - the DE1.

I would suggest you stay with the Lelit anyway. I doubt spending anything less than (say) 3K would give you a better cuppa than the Lelit, and then you are getting close to the DE1 budget anyway...

I hope this helps.

TampIt
    PS: FWIW, living with the DE1 for nearly a year has totally spoilt me for any lesser machine.

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Fair enough Robbie...

I'm sure there will plenty of recommendations come your way.

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• crazyrob
    replied
    Don't get me wrong that the lelit is a good brand.
    The reason why i went with a small lelit because i had a small area to do my coffees with. But now I'm in a bigger place and with a much nicer area to work with, I can upgrade.
    I also have family over and always make coffees. I just hate it that i cant brew and steam at the same time.
    I also work at a cafe as a barista and have used some high end machines.

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    G'day Robbie...

As a matter of interest and a guide for us to make useful recommendations to you, what are your primary reasons for wanting to move away from the Lelit, which is an excellent machine in my opinion?

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• flynnaus
    replied
    What about one of these?

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...elit-elizabeth

Double boiler with PID, brand new and only a little over your $2k budget (but backed by a warranty)

Second hand is always a risk unless you can inspect beforehand or buy from a known reputable source.

You could also use the Quote link on this site and see if one of the sponsors can help you out.

Leave a comment:

• Upgrading from Lelit PL42TEMD to a HX E61. Any Suggestion? NEW or Second? $2k

hi snobs,

I'm looking at purchasing a new machine! or second hand, if i can find the right deal.

Any suggestions would be great, considering about $2000.. maybe alittle more, if i can find the right deal. Nearly pick up a Isomac tea second hand for $650!

I manly make about 4 or sometimes more coffees a day. I also make the wife frozen coffee cubes..(lol coz i dont like her using my machine) which can be about 6 shots or so.

Atm we use a Lelit PL42TEMD (Single Boiler with PID) its about 4 years old now, and Compak K3 push (second hand).

Also to add if i wanted to upgrade my k3 what would you guys suggest? i use it for cold drip and espresso too.

Something with a E61 HX with PID would be great.

Are they all relatively similar build quality? I would like it to last 10 years or so and feel solid.

Any major downfalls of any particular unit, I'm in Adelaide too?

I have found a few second hand Expobar Minore 3 and ECM Rocket Giotto for about $1500.

Thanx Robbie
Working...
X