X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• level3ninja
    replied
    Originally posted by bazillion View Post
    So, dusting off an old multi meter, I am getting similar resistance across all three solenoids ~2.4k ohm.
    Shouldn't I expect to see a difference in resistance if two of the solenoids are blown?
    If they have failed electrically, in 99% of cases yes. I have seen a couple that failed in the coil, but still had normal resistance. I have seen a number of others that have failed in the mechanical part of the valve, so it didn't matter that the solenoid coil was doing its job. The easiest way to prove off its the solenoid or the control box is to have your licenced electrician measure the voltage present across the coil when you expect the valve to be open. Other things to have them do are to swap the coils around (assuming they're identical), swap the wiring from the boiler fill solenoid to one of the other two and see if it works.

Leave a comment:

• bazillion
    replied
    I pulled apart the water intake solenoid. It had a slight scale but the plunger was moving freely. Descaled using some citric acid, put it all back together with no improvement.

Tried bypassing both water/reservoir solenoids by putting the reservoir soft hosing straight over the barb of the pump intake and it seems to be working! So it looks like either;

1. both intake solenoids are dead.
    2. control box has issues.

So, dusting off an old multi meter, I am getting similar resistance across all three solenoids ~2.4k ohm. The boiler solenoid is working because my boiler fills when i took the other two out the pipework. I am assuming these solenoids are shut when there is no power. Shouldn't I expect to see a difference in resistance if two of the solenoids are blown?

Leave a comment:

• bazillion
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackster View Post
    Pull the outlet off the pump, see if it's pumping to there. Or maybe try at either side of the boiler fill solenoid. The solenoid might be blown...
    I would consider disconnecting the element in boiler so you don't burn it out..

I made a patch lead so I could run just the pump for testing.

Not sure of your location, but some states don't allow consumers to do electrical work on appliances. Proceed with caution
    Thanks Jackster;

No flow at the pump outlet.

No flow out of the plumbed water intake solenoid (or reservoir solenoid). I presume the pressure from mains would be enough to create flow through the solenoid by itself without the pump?

I am going to pull apart the solenoid and see what is going on inside that. I found this thread https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...t-heating.html . If it is just that intake solenoid I should be able to swap out with the boiler fill/reservoir solenoid to at least trouble shoot. If that doesn't work, my next step is too look at the the control box.

I will report back how I go.

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    Pull the outlet off the pump, see if it's pumping to there. Or maybe try at either side of the boiler fill solenoid. The solenoid might be blown...
    I would consider disconnecting the element in boiler so you don't burn it out..

I made a patch lead so I could run just the pump for testing.

Not sure of your location, but some states don't allow consumers to do electrical work on appliances. Proceed with caution

Leave a comment:

• bazillion
    started a topic Giotto Rocket not pumping water

Giotto Rocket not pumping water

Hi all,

I am hoping you fine people can help me figure out how to fix my ~7 year old Giotto Rocket Evoluzione V2. Please be kind to my compounded poor decisions. I want to try and fix this myself. I am self isolating and while I can get a friend to drop off my machine at a repairer, I am concerned that it will get locked down there. I am hoping I can figure out what needs replacing and then order the parts online.

About two weeks ago, the vacuum breaker on the boiler stopped sealing properly and a faint hiss could be heard whenever the machine was on. Unfortunately, I didn't prioritise fixing this right away as there were more pressing matters (now I am looking at shutdown without a functional machine).

I have home automation that turns on the coffee machine at 5am to make sure it is warm and ready to go for my 6am coffee. I lazily had a cheeky sleep in as I have no where to be right now, and woke at 8am to significant steam leaking through the vacuum breaker (steam condensate filling housing for almost 3 hours). The genius that I am before consuming caffeine, reseated the vacuum breaker plunger with a chopstick. We are now back to the regular faint hiss. She'll be right.

We were not alright.

I managed to rinse the group head for a few seconds before an audible 'pop' came from the coffee machine and tripped the power to the whole house. I have unplugged the machine, taken it apart. There was significant condensation in the machine, thinking perhaps the ground has been shorted, I thoroughly dried out the machine and checked all connectors and circuit boards for signs of melting/scorch marks. There was nothing that I could see.

Once the machine was dry, I tried plugging it back in. It turns on. The boiler heats up. The pump is making noise, but no water is pouring through the group head. After emptying the boiler through the hot water wand, the pump kicks in but doesn't stop, i.e. there is no new water coming into the boiler or group head.

Anyways, thats as far as I got. Any insight or further recommendation for troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Working...
X