Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with choosing a machine 2-3k

Hi folks,

I have decided to move on from my Lelit Combi after 6 years. It has served me well, but is coming up with a few issues here and there and steam isn't great pressure.

So I am now looking at upgrading the machine to something else.

What I like: I like all of the ECM range especially the Mechanika and also the Bezzera range.

My use: 2-4 lattes per day made on the machine, sometimes up to 6 at a time when entertaining.

My wants:

- Ability to steam milk and pour a shot at the same time;
    - Reasonable heat up time.
    - Well known, easily serviced brand.
    - Preferably rotary pump.
    - 2-3k range

So with what is available on the market right now, what would you recommend?

Hello Cameron,

You wont go wrong with either of those two brands.
    ECM Mechanika is a beautifully built machine. The Bezzera Mitica has just had an upgrade and now has a PID. Both have rotary pumps.

You probably wont get one of these for under $3K. The rotary pump requirement pushes them over that figure.

If you can consider a machine with a vibration pump you will open yourself up to a machines closer to your budget.

Rotary pumps are nice and quiet, however unless you need to plumb in then it is worth considering the vibe option

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Comment

Thanks for that Anthony.

So if I removed the rotary pump requirement, what would be your recommendation?

Cheers

Comment

FYI - I am eagerly watching all responses as I am in a similar boat to Cameron. 2-3k is likely okay, 3.5+ is probably not.

Comment

Mechanika V Slim? I'm running a Technika V Profi & couldn't be happier. I was tossing up between this and the Mitica PID (I personally like the profi-style levers over rotary valves) and felt the ECM was a more solid build in side by side comparison. In your price range, the Rocket Appartamento or Profitec Pro 500 would also be worth a look if you're partial to the rotary valves; both great looking, solidly built machines.

Comment

I have the Ecm Mechanika v slim and this has been my first espresso machine I’ve owned. Had it for 4 months and can’t fault it while still learning and perfecting my skills. Steam power is fantastic and very quick and no wait time. I like the styling of the handles and leavers and had no issue with rotary valves.

I do find that the water tank needs to be filled every day, which not an issue for me, but I can see how a plumbed in rotary machine would be more convenient. A bit of water is waisted with cooling flushes and general group head flush’s. I think a machine with PID like the Profitech 500 would improve this situation. If you make a lot of drinks I would get a plumbed machine. I make around 4-5 drinks in the morning.

I would factor in bottomless portafilter and upgraded basket, and consider the flow control from the outset too. I’m assuming you already have good water filter and grinder setup at home.

Comment

Hi Cameron. Have a look over the Rocket Giotto Type V or Mozzafiato Type V. Head and shoulders the quietest vibe pumps I have heard in any e-61 machine.

You should be able to find one at not too far distant from your budget.

Comment

Working...
              X