X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
    If the boiler always consistently refills at pretty much the exact same point during steaming, there is the option of steaming with the good stuff riiiight up until that point. You could THEN turn the machine off and hopefully have enough steam to finish the job. But this only may work if the refilling happens probably halfway to later in the steaming so that you still have enough left to finish it off. Obviously not ideal, but just an idea hehe! Almost like temp surfing with my ol Gaggia Classic, but boiler surfing! XD
    It’s random the boiler fill so I couldn’t predict it.

Leave a comment:

• simonsk8r
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
    So before I invest in a new controller, is there anything else it could be? Someone earlier suggested turning the machine off when steaming milk to avoid the refill. This isn’t viable though cause the steam dies too quickly and I can’t get a decent jug of milk. It’s quite reliant on the boiler element heating to create more steaming during milk texturing.
    If the boiler always consistently refills at pretty much the exact same point during steaming, there is the option of steaming with the good stuff riiiight up until that point. You could THEN turn the machine off and hopefully have enough steam to finish the job. But this only may work if the refilling happens probably halfway to later in the steaming so that you still have enough left to finish it off. Obviously not ideal, but just an idea hehe! Almost like temp surfing with my ol Gaggia Classic, but boiler surfing! XD

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    So before I invest in a new controller, is there anything else it could be? Someone earlier suggested turning the machine off when steaming milk to avoid the refill. This isn’t viable though cause the steam dies too quickly and I can’t get a decent jug of milk. It’s quite reliant on the boiler element heating to create more steaming during milk texturing.

Leave a comment:

• noidle22
    replied

In terms of controller adjustment, are there any suggestions? Before replacing the controller I'd like to see if adjusting it would make any noticeable difference. It's a Gicar controller.
    It's not going to be an adjustable type, I shouldn't have said that. On older controllers there was small potentiometers that could be used as an adjustment however they are in the past.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    I see. The machine isn’t 1 year old. I’ve had it almost 2 and I found out it was around 3 years old when I got it. So more like 5 years old now. Guess it’s time for a new controller.

Leave a comment:

• Caffeinator
    replied

In terms of controller adjustment, are there any suggestions? Before replacing the controller I'd like to see if adjusting it would make any noticeable difference. It's a Gicar controller.
    If the probe is clean, you will be "adjusting it" into recycling and replacing it with one which works as it should

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
    What would seem to be happening is that when you're steaming and the element is on, the water is bubbling and sloshing around inside the boiler and would be temporarily exposing the autofill probe. The board sees this as the boiler level being low and initiates a refill. No machine with an autofill circuit like this has any intelligence to know that you're using the steam wand and to not operate the autofill. Instead, there should be a delay built into the control circuit that waits a set amount of time with the autofill probe exposed before turning on the pump. This should prevent the issue you're having from occurring.

Best case scenario is that there's some contaminant on the probe that's giving the controller the wrong feedback. It would be worth removing and cleaning the autofill probe first and see if this changes anything. If you have no success, the controller needs adjustment or replacement I would think.

It'd be worth contacting whoever you bought it from to ask if this is a known issue or what they could do about it. At 1 year old, they should take care of that for you. Even if they say it has a 1 year warranty and it's just over a year (absurd for a machine worth 3k) pressure them to cover it under warranty.

Leave a comment:

• simonsk8r
    replied
    Just an extra note, for mine it never has during steaming, but has a few times refilled straight after I've finished steaming, which isn't an issue as steaming is finished..

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    Filling during steaming should happen only occasionally. If it happens every time then there is an issue. If the probe is clean and correctly inserted and it is still doing it I'd recommend it goes into a tech.

charlie
    Hi Charlie,

Could you define 'occasionally'?

Leave a comment:

• JetBlack_Espresso
    replied
    Filling during steaming should happen only occasionally. If it happens every time then there is an issue. If the probe is clean and correctly inserted and it is still doing it I'd recommend it goes into a tech.

charlie

Leave a comment:

• Brewster
    replied
    Maybe Charlie JetBlack_Espresso would be able to comment on this topic?

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Still filling during steaming. How could steaming milk use enough water to trigger the refill? Boggling my mind!

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Today I removed the depth probe and it did indeed have some crud buildup. That came off easily, was put back in the machine and then I did a descale while I was at it. Ran some shots and went through my routine and it seems to not be filling as regularly. The machine also seems to be quieter in some way too. Will test the refill again tomorrow and see what results I'm getting.
    Sounds promising...

I did want to ask if people know what impacts changing the depth of the fill probe would have? ie. Would screwing it in further result in a lower water level and therefore greater steam capacity? Just wanting to understand the mechanics of this in a HX.
    In essence, yes it does allow a greater volume for steam to fill but it will also affect the HX performance somewhat in that more of the HX will be exposed to steam and less submerged in the water. How this equates to performance in real terms, only experimenting will determine if it's an issue or not...

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    An update:

Today I removed the depth probe and it did indeed have some crud buildup. That came off easily, was put back in the machine and then I did a descale while I was at it. Ran some shots and went through my routine and it seems to not be filling as regularly. The machine also seems to be quieter in some way too. Will test the refill again tomorrow and see what results I'm getting.

I did want to ask if people know what impacts changing the depth of the fill probe would have? ie. Would screwing it in further result in a lower water level and therefore greater steam capacity? Just wanting to understand the mechanics of this in a Hx.

Leave a comment:

• simonsk8r
    replied
    Mine if sitting there for awhile, will on the odd occasion do a quick fill up without me even touching it, but must be as it's just on the cusp on the minimum. Ah so just tested today quite a few times how much hot water out of the tap it takes before it needs to refill. Very first one was 94.4g, and the others I did (with boiler full to the max already): 41.7g 45.7g, 48.5g, 50.5g. So pretty low amount that I disperse before it fills, but yeah mine never has to fill up during steaming.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X