Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lancruiser
    replied
    If your P500 has a PID it might be worthwhile checking your PID settings as per https://clivecoffee.zendesk.com/hc/e...ended-Settings.

My settings are similar but set to metric

F.01: C, P: 17.5, I: 0.10, D: 25.0, T1: 126, E1: 0

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Never experienced these issues with any of the HX (or DB) machines I have owned and would be atypical in my opinion. Boiler filling during a shot should never happen in modern machines and the experience of it happening regularly during milk texturing is odd, to say the least. Still feels like a controller issue...

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by Brewster View Post
    Ok, I'll put my hand up as well.
    My almost 5 year old Pro 500 also has done a boiler top up on the odd occassion, usually only lasts for a second or two and barely impacts the pour.
    While I have questioned the logic myself at the time, I haven't thought to mention it during a machine service, probably because I have forgotten as it does not occur frequently enough or long enough to cause me much angst.
    Will be interesting to see if this is confined to Profitec/ECM HX machines or if any other brand has a similar issue.

Mal
    Mine is the same if it fills whilst the shot is pouring - doesn't affect the shot at all, but when steaming it kills it. I'm guessing the cooler water missing with the steam affects how 'wet' the steam is coming out of the machine. I could be wrong, but I feel like this is just one of the tradeoffs of a Hx machine.

I'll be checking the probe over the weekend, replacing the ant-vac at the same time and giving the machine a good go over and report back on my results.

Turning the machine off as I steam the milk doesn't work for me because I lose pressure too quickly. My wife has a larger coffee (thinking mugacino) and likes it hot, so it does take a fair bit of steam to get it up to temp.

Leave a comment:

• Brewster
    replied
    Ok, I'll put my hand up as well.
    My almost 5 year old Pro 500 also has done a boiler top up on the odd occassion, usually only lasts for a second or two and barely impacts the pour.
    While I have questioned the logic myself at the time, I haven't thought to mention it during a machine service, probably because I have forgotten as it does not occur frequently enough or long enough to cause me much angst.
    Will be interesting to see if this is confined to Profitec/ECM HX machines or if any other brand has a similar issue.

Mal

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Hmmm...

Sounding more and more like a controller problem, too narrow a hysteresis to be useful.

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• simonsk8r
    replied
    Ah okay yeah, I just wouldn't think the steam wand would add more than 100ml of water... I tried with the hot water tap just before (made a hot chocolate), made sure the boiler was full first, and I let out a little bit of hot water at a time, only got to about 48.5ml before it needed to refill. Will try again tomorrow anyways

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
    As in use water from the hot water tap and see how much it lets out before refilling the boiler? I thought you meant the steam wand before, but that didn't seem right to get 100ml or so outta that haha! Got the iso crazies.... I'll try it tomorrow! (Have had my Profitec Pro 500 for about 2.5 years now)
    I could be on wrong track... I'm just not quite sure how to diagnose the issue.
    i did a weight check one time. Weighed a measure of milk and steamed it, then reweighed it. I really can't recall how much weight (water) it gained

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    Yes Simon.
    Take water from hot water spout and see if you get more than 150ml before it refills.

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...d-view-boiler/
    Parts list here^
    Seems to suggest hot water is boiler water, so maybe on right track.
    Also says water probe length is 80mm (item 21). Op could check this when cleaning his probe. Though I would clean and just check length initially, and then consider changing length after testing.

Leave a comment:

• simonsk8r
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackster View Post
    Can you pull the water level probe, and give it a bit of a scrub? Scotch Brite will do it. then see if more than the 150ml comes out before refill. Hoping someone else can test their machine to compare for you. Till then, turn it off when steaming. I'm sure that will work for you till you get sorted.
    As in use water from the hot water tap and see how much it lets out before refilling the boiler? I thought you meant the steam wand before, but that didn't seem right to get 100ml or so outta that haha! Got the iso crazies.... I'll try it tomorrow! (Have had my Profitec Pro 500 for about 2.5 years now)

Leave a comment:

• simonsk8r
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
    I did what you suggested this morning and it was better. I still didn’t get through my routine before it filled, and it filled during milk texturing.
    Hmmm that's interesting that it still didn't make it without having to refill... sorry can't offer any more advice, not sure :s

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    Can you pull the water level probe, and give it a bit of a scrub? Scotch Brite will do it.
    then see if more than the 150ml comes out before refill.

Hoping someone else can test their machine to compare for you.

Till then, turn it off when steaming. I'm sure that will work for you till you get sorted.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by Dimal View Post
    Out of interest, what sort of water filtering are you using? Do you regularly refresh the water in the boiler? Excessive dissolved mineral compounds in the boiler water could possibly lead to a very narrow band of operation... Mal.
    I’m in Melbourne and our water is already quite soft, though I’m filtering it with a BRITA extra filter. I empty the boiler regularly.

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Out of interest, what sort of water filtering are you using? Do you regularly refresh the water in the boiler?
    Excessive dissolved mineral compounds in the boiler water could possibly lead to a very narrow band of operation...

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Yeah, well it basically refills it then and there's no chance of it wanting to refill around the end stage. And yeah I mainly do it just to refresh the boiler water but it gets the cups super hot and prevents it from refilling at steaming time, so bonus!
    I did what you suggested this morning and it was better. I still didn’t get through my routine before it filled, and it filled during milk texturing.

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    I'm not home, so can't measure mine. Also my hot water comes from the hx, not the boiler.
    hopefully someone with a more similar machine can compare and report back.
    130mls doesn't sound much. Not even a cupfull for a cuppa tea

Leave a comment:

Working...
X