Profitec Pro 500 filling boiler during milk steaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
    If the boiler always consistently refills at pretty much the exact same point during steaming, there is the option of steaming with the good stuff riiiight up until that point. You could THEN turn the machine off and hopefully have enough steam to finish the job. But this only may work if the refilling happens probably halfway to later in the steaming so that you still have enough left to finish it off. Obviously not ideal, but just an idea hehe! Almost like temp surfing with my ol Gaggia Classic, but boiler surfing! XD
    It’s random the boiler fill so I couldn’t predict it.

Comment

I thought the Gicar controllers were supposed to be built like tanks, as in commercial grade.

Comment

Just my personal opinion mate,
        I have no idea how much a new controller cost, but I would want to be damn confident that replacing it would fix the problem before spending the dollars. No point spending money and replacing with exactly the same part doing the same thing.
        We already know that yours is not the only machine doing this to some extent.
        Switching the machine off during the process, while maybe a short term work around, would not be acceptable to me long term.
        Given that the advice from the machine technicians contributing to this discussion, is that it should not be happening, then I would be getting it into a workshop for a tech to have a look at it. Maybe time for a full service too?
        Plenty of opinions here as to what the problem may be, but without eyes and hands on your machine, nobody really knows for sure.
        Like I said, just my 2c, Good luck.
        Mal

Comment

At this level, the boards don't do a whole lot more than control autofill. If the probe is clean, 95% that it's a board on the way out or the autofill logic in them is poorly calibrated to our conditions. Unless the board has proprietary connectors, there will be alternatives which don't do this. It shouldn't happen (pretty much ever).

Comment

I have no idea if the deadband on the autofill can be widened or adjusted. That would let it run lower before autofilling.

If it was a across the board issue and not something wrong, I'd consider a switch to turn off the pump, so you can manually turn pump off without affecting the boiler. Or id consider a microswitch to shut pump off automatically whenever steaming... How I'd do this, not sure..

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
              I have no idea if the deadband on the autofill can be widened or adjusted. That would let it run lower before autofilling. If it was a across the board issue and not something wrong, I'd consider a switch to turn off the pump, so you can manually turn pump off without affecting the boiler. Or id consider a microswitch to shut pump off automatically whenever steaming... How I'd do this, not sure..
              I think it’s probably tech time but before I do I’ll test a couple more things and have a better look under the hood. There’s certainly something not right with the steam boiler. What that is remains unclear. Steam performance is definitely not what it should be and the need to refill during steaming is problematic. I have wondered if it’s something to do with the heating element either not getting enough power or not turning on and off as it should. I’m gonna check brew temp in the morning.

Comment

The water in the boiler came out at 92 degrees (out of the tap). What shocked me was the brew water that had gone through the Hx came out at just over 81 degrees. I expected it to be higher than that. Do those numbers indicate anything?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
                  The water in the boiler came out at 92 degrees (out of the tap). What shocked me was the brew water that had gone through the Hx came out at just over 81 degrees. I expected it to be higher than that. Do those numbers indicate anything?
                  I think that is normal. The water would have cooled down on its way out. Your cup that captured the water would also reduce the temperature somewhat.

Comment

Do those numbers indicate anything?
                    They you're unlikely to be using a Scace device to measure the temperature

Comment

I have trouble getting reliable temperature figures too.

​​​​​

Comment

I’ll be getting it off to a tech likely this week. Will report back once I know more in case this becomes an issue for someone else too.

Comment

I've managed to love this. It was quite simple in the end, I adjusted the pressure stat down a touch and it's seemed to put the machine at ease when steaming. Glad I've finally got it sorted, it got a whole lot of love in the process, did a big clean and inspection of the internals. Maybe it was just feeling a little lonely.

Thank you for all the advice with this one!

Comment

I've managed to love this. It was quite simple in the end, I adjusted the pressure stat down a touch and it's seemed to put the machine at ease when steaming. Glad I've finally got it sorted, it got a whole lot of love in the process, did a big clean and inspection of the internals. Maybe it was just feeling a little lonely. Thank you for all the advice with this one!
                            Wow! That's awesome news! Well done

Comment

Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
                              Wow! That's awesome news! Well done
                              Of course I did mean to say *solve*

Comment

I adjusted the pressure stat down a touch and it's seemed to put the machine at ease when steaming.....

....did a big clean and inspection of the internals.
                                Good job that it's working now, I can't understand why adjusting the pressurestat would cause the boiler to not refill as much. It's a completely different circuit, the autofill doesn't care what the boiler pressure is. Maybe as it's heating for a shorter time now, the agitated water around the probe isn't bubbling for as long and just stops in time before the autofill goes to operate, dunno.

Maybe in the course of the cleaning and maintenance is what solved it. That's got me a few times before, doing multiple things as once and being unsure of what it was that made it work again.

Regardless, it works now so it's all good.

Comment

Working...
                                X