Small footprint machine thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small footprint machine thoughts

Hi Fellow coffee connoisseurs. I am looking for and interested in your thoughts on three machine contenders for a small bench space. They are Lelit Mara PLT 62T, Rocket Apartmento and ECM Mechanika Slim. Have I omitted any other worthy contenders? I am at present leaning towards the ECM because it does look amazing and is highly regarded in reviews. Would I notice any difference in performance between any of these machines? if so What? I do realise that there is a Mara X on way to Australia but this is going to be later this year and yet to be confirmed, don't think I could wait this long. Thank you for your thought in advance.

You could add Bezzera BZ10 and if you don't care about strict E61 group design the Expobar Office Control/Semi Auto machine are really good.

The one you have mentioned are a ll super machines, the primary difference between the ECM and Rocket are the stainless steel boiler on ECM versus copper on the Rocket. Stainless steel is more sensitive to water quality so you need to feed it preferably well filtered water.

Also maybe a step up price range but the new Crem (nee Expobar) One has just hit stock with Aussie retailers, might have to check the dimensions but it looks compact..

Comment

The BZ10 has been shown to be Bezzera’s worst machine by a margin. I’d only consider one if buying from a CS site sponsor that has tricked it out a bit. (I think they were putting cartridge heaters in the group and lowering boiler pressure to give better temp stability. Something along those lines anyway. There’s a BZ10 thread on the forum somewhere). The other option is a VBM Domobar Jr. VBM used to be the gold standard of design and build quality, but they’ve been over taken to an extent by the other main brands. They’re still a good machine though and I would consider one if the price was right.

Comment

You should also consider the Izzo Vivi PID Plus - site sponsor Casa Espresso stocks them.
        Last edited by DaveD; 4th May 2020, 04:28 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by roosterben View Post

The one you have mentioned are a ll super machines, the primary difference between the ECM and Rocket are the stainless steel boiler on ECM versus copper on the Rocket. Stainless steel is more sensitive to water quality so you need to feed it preferably well filtered water.
          Roosterben, I don't want to hijack the thread but I always thought Stainless was less sensitive to water quality and less thermally conductive than copper. The recent trend towards stainless I assume is driven by the cost of copper

Now back to helping MrFish choose his next machine.

Cheers.

Comment

Nope, your water filtering has to be able to remove all traces of Cl compounds and manage the pH to within a quite narrow range, otherwise you will experience boiler corrosion that will require boiler replacement a lot sooner than normally anticipated - Which is usually never for a copper boiler.

Lots of info can be found regarding this issue on the Net and this very forum...

Mal.

Comment

+1 on the Izzo Vivi PID Plus. Class-leading spec. and performance. It's a bargain for what it sells for.

Comment

Thank you all for the input. I finally decided to go with the ECM M/Slim purely for the size and build quality. It may not have been the cheapest but just looking at it I believe justifies the extra cost. Also it makes a fantastic coffee, which is really what its all about in the end. Stainless steel boiler all good and 2 liters at that. Plenty of steam when required. Should see me right for many years, "at least that's what I told my other half". Thank again. Mike

Comment

Working...
                X