Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1400 used ECM Technika IV worth it?

Hi guys,

I'm contemplating buying a used ECM Technika IV profi vibration machine for $1400. I wanted to know what would be a fair price for a machine that old. Its been recently serviced and in good working order.

Any advice from people with older machines would be appreciated. This will be my first espresso machine.

Just my limited and humble opinion, so take it as that.

I have the ECM Technika IV Profi with Rotary pump. Bought it in 2018. Brand new, it was more than double what is being offered to you for used.

Was it the latest model at the time with the most features? No.
    Do I like using it everyday? Yes.
    Would I like to have PID model that came out later that year? Probably but if I did, I probably would have gone with the Sychronika instead.

If the machine is in good condition and you know that it has been taken cared of and you can't see any cosmetic issues, then go for it.
    I know I love using my one still. My only regret currently is not getting the Niche grinder and not getting better at latte art.

Go with what you can afford and is going to makes you happy

Comment

Have your decided to go the Hx route over the single boiler then?

Comment

Hey Ninja, thanks for the comment. Great memory. I was sold on the classika as you suggested but this machine came out of nowhere. If i can get the technika down to $1000, it may end up being a good buy. Plus $1000 for the grinder. What are you thoughts on the HX without a PID as a black drinker? I was going to get jetblack to install the flow rate regulator on the technika.

Still hunting for this first machine

Comment

Originally posted by Doubleshotsteve View Post
          If i can get the technika down to $1000, it may end up being a good buy.
          So you want 30% off the asking price...

If it's not too old and is in good nick, why the need to bust the sellers balls? It's been serviced, the pricing sounds more than fair.

My opinion FWIW is that if you're greedy, you may well (deserve to) miss out.

Comment

Hey Ninja, thanks for the comment. Great memory. I was sold on the classika as you suggested but this machine came out of nowhere. If i can get the technika down to $1000, it may end up being a good buy. Plus $1000 for the grinder. What are you thoughts on the HX without a PID as a black drinker? I was going to get jetblack to install the flow rate regulator on the technika. Still hunting for this first machine
            $1500 is a fair price. $1000 would be a steal and I doubt you’d get it for that unless there’s something wrong with the machine or seller.

Comment

Hey caffeinator, it's not about greed. I'm happy to pay the asking price. But the reason I've posted is so that I can get a gauge from the experienced heads on this forum as to what is a reasonable price for an old machine like this. Call it naiveity. I've gone through sold listings and I haven't found anything. I've seen better machines go for $1400-1500 so accordingly I've valued this lower than the $1400 asking price. Again there's no malice, just an innocent question. Cheers

Comment

What are you thoughts on the HX without a PID as a black drinker? I was going to get jetblack to install the flow rate regulator on the technika
                If it were me I'd get the SB with PID every time. I drink milk in my coffee about twice a year, when that urge strikes me I can wait a couple of minutes if needed (maybe it'll talk me out of it, haha).

Having a calibrated gicleur installed in a Hx should be a high priority, but once it's in the calibrated temperature is the only temperature you get, there's no adjustability. With a PID and SB you can change the temperature to suit the coffee you're using.

If you're only going to be drinking the same type of coffee forever and you know what temperature or works best at then there's no reason you can't use a Hx, but I also see no reason to use a Hx. You'll be heating up a bunch more water for no reason every time too.

Comment

Working...
                X