X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by MxD View Post
    It's pretty self explanatory really; you supply info on what you require/want to spend & it is sent to the numerous site sponsors to respond to. Click the link at the top of the page between"Coffee Roasters" & "Contact Us."
    Oh that’s what you meant. I had no idea about that feature!

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by intern1 View Post
    thanks for the reply what is the quote function first time I have heard about it?
    Putting your search terms into quotation marks to improve your search result. Personally, I have always found using google the easiest way to get thread hits on coffeesnobs. As MxD has said, there‘a a few big features you need to decide on, and then there’s the little nuances of each brand and machine in their range. Getting into see them and demo them is a great way to decide. In my case I just did my research and bought one and had it delivered. I may have chosen differently if I’d got to see more machines but I’m happy with mine and any of the brands mentioned here will perform well for you so long as you know how to get the best out of them. But that’s all part of the journey and we’re always improving our techniques and brew methods. It’s a rabbit hole with no end.

Leave a comment:

• MxD
    replied
    Originally posted by intern1 View Post
    thanks for the reply what is the quote function first time I have heard about it?
    It's pretty self explanatory really; you supply info on what you require/want to spend & it is sent to the numerous site sponsors to respond to.
    Click the link at the top of the page between"Coffee Roasters" & "Contact Us."

Leave a comment:

• intern1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MxD
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
    See you there you go, I prefer the look of the Profitec machines. It’s all in the eye of the beholder. With the exception of the Nine One, which most of us can only drool over anyway, and at $9k you’d want it to look super sexy.
    At the level of machine you're looking at it's probably going to come down to a few things, the quality of espresso these machines produce is comparable:
    -Rotary vs Vibration pump
    -Copper vs Stainless boiler
    -Joystick vs rotary valve steam/water

I tried HX machines from ECM, Bezzera, Rocket & Profitec when choosing my last machine. I ended up with an ECM (Technika V) based on build quality, rotary pump (sooo quiet, option to be plumbed in) and my personal preference for joystick operation over rotary valves. Also the inclusion of PID/shot timer is a nice little extra.

Whatever machine you choose will be an exponential improvement over what you're currently using, it all comes down to getting the features you want at the price you want to pay. Using the quote function on this site is a great starting point if you're intent on buying new, as is the for sale section if you're looking for quality used equipment.

As others have said, you can throw all the money in the world at a fancy espresso machine but even the best machine ain't gonna make good coffee out of poorly ground beans - a good grinder is an absolute necessity.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Originally posted by roosterben View Post
    Rockets often look a bit better (subjectively) and charge a bit more, but performance/feature wise are much the same or maybe not quite as good as some of the other less flashy brands. But you will get similar build quality and performance from Rocket, ECM, Profitec, Bezzara and Izzo and probably a few others I have missed.
    See you there you go, I prefer the look of the Profitec machines. It’s all in the eye of the beholder. With the exception of the Nine One, which most of us can only drool over anyway, and at $9k you’d want it to look super sexy.

Leave a comment:

• roosterben
    replied
    Rockets often look a bit better (subjectively) and charge a bit more, but performance/feature wise are much the same or maybe not quite as good as some of the other less flashy brands. But you will get similar build quality and performance from Rocket, ECM, Profitec, Bezzara and Izzo and probably a few others I have missed.

Leave a comment:

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Profitec machines often get mentioned alongside Rocket. You wouldn’t go wrong with either of those brands.

Leave a comment:

• saeco_user
    commented on 's reply
    >>If you think you will ever plumb in the machine, you will need a rotary pump to do so.
    Not completely true. I have a La Cimbali which fills a small tank by line pressure and from this uses a vibe pump to feed the group. I know because I'm just in the process of replacing the pump. Not sure how many other machines may work like this.

• intern1
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback, some background is I had a pull machine sometime ago but we went with a pod based set up when we renovated the kitchen. What are comparable products to a Giotto? Are rockets really the ferrari of the machine world they say they are?

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
    If you haven’t had experience in pulling shots and steaming milk a barista course will serve you well. You also need to think about a grinder. It needs to be at least equal to the espresso machine to get the best out of your setup.
    Second this advice, highly recommended...

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• sam678
    commented on 's reply
    If you think you will ever plumb in the machine, you will need a rotary pump to do so.

Many of the prosumer machines, including the Rocket Giotto, have the e61 group in common. The choice is between single boiler, HX or dual boiler machines.

If you are steaming milk, then, your options are HX or dual boiler. All e61 machines can make both good or bad coffee depending on the users level of experience.

Milk drinks are more forgiving. Espresso is more demanding.

Choosing the right grinder is as important as the espresso machine. Spend more than you feel comfortable with on your grinder.

Lastly, consider used equipment from this site. It is often owned by hobbyists and is generally well looked after.

• crazyhakins
    replied
    Rotary pumps are generally quieter and can be plumbed. Going from a new Speedo machine to a manual machine, without prior experience, could be an overwhelming and frustrating step. It may be difficult to get consistent results. If you haven’t had experience in pulling shots and steaming milk a barista course will serve you well. You also need to think about a grinder. It needs to be at least equal to the espresso machine to get the best out of your setup.

Leave a comment:

• intern1
    replied
    Thanks for the reply, the more I read up the more I am thinking going for the rocket. We like the giotto not sure if rotary tap is required if we dont get it plumbed. We also have a zip unit not sure if that type of filtration makes a difference.

For us it will be to have coffee but we do often go to our local cafe.

What are comparables to a giotto and why would you go rotary pump?

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    Hi John, welcome.
    To be blunt, nothing will ever be as convenient as a pod machine. Roasted coffee goes stale in a matter of weeks after roasting (~2-6 weeks depending on roast levels). If you want maximum convenience an Oracle is the best option (either standard BES980 or Touch BES990). If you can handle tamping a Barista Touch BES880 will do the milk for you the same way your Creatista Plus did If you can handle doing milk manually then the world's your oyster.

What's your budget? How much is this going to be a hobby vs "just give me the coffee"?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X