• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcb
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackster View Post
    Remember to descale the hx too.
    I found cacks in there too, blocking the gicleur.
    Thanks once again Jackster, I will have to investigate that step further.

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190729_104719.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	831341 Remember to descale the hx too.
    I found cacks in there too, blocking the gicleur.

Leave a comment:

• mcb
    replied
    Originally posted by roosterben View Post

If it isn't from the leaking anit-vac valve, this could mean your element gasket is leaking and could need replacing. This is a fair job and given the age I would inspect and test the heating element. I would try the clean first as suggested by Jackster and prob invest in a brand new anti-vac valve (although you can pull apart and clean). Then if there is still a leak a new gasket and maybe a new heating element to be on the safe side. Based on the terrible water in Perth (not sure if you filter it) the heating element could be on the way out.
    Thanks roosterben, I will be putting a new anti-vac valve on my shopping list.

Leave a comment:

• mcb
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackster View Post
    I think coffee parts has a antivac that has a pipe fitting that can drain into the tray rather than steam up the inside of your machine. Someone else got one and apparently it was not good for small machines. So that is at own risk.

Gauge. Not really sure. It may have small blockage in the pipe that is holding a little pressure inside it. I'd pull it off and check it out. Maybe even take it's glass off and see if something is binding it up. Probably cheaper to just get new one...

2) pressurestat. No idea what the upgraded wiring would do, and also don't know if it only applies to the newer boards.
    I would look at a SSR to control the element so taking the switching duties away from the control board relays.
    Who in Perth.... Pfft, no idea.

3) furry crud. I had a little in other machine. I use a bit of citric or descaler and scrub it with someone else's toothbrush. Makes copper piping and brass bits shiny under hood too!
    Need to rinse it off pretty well, and that's a bit of a challenge when machine is all together. Maybe catch drips with towels in bottom of machine as you scrub and rinse.

I think you should have given it a descaler on boiler while you had the antivac off. Easy enough to fill and empty boiler out the top port, by inverting machine.

Sorry I'm not much help..mostly just opinions
    Thanks Jackster, descaling the boiler is my next todo item. I will also clean up around the boiler element with descaler as well..

Leave a comment:

• roosterben
    replied
    3) White furry crud around the boiler element

When looking around I noticed a heap of build up near the boiler element terminals. I have cleaned this up, and now can't see any sign of leaks. I this something I should be concerned about?
    If it isn't from the leaking anit-vac valve, this could mean your element gasket is leaking and could need replacing. This is a fair job and given the age I would inspect and test the heating element. I would try the clean first as suggested by Jackster and prob invest in a brand new anti-vac valve (although you can pull apart and clean). Then if there is still a leak a new gasket and maybe a new heating element to be on the safe side. Based on the terrible water in Perth (not sure if you filter it) the heating element could be on the way out.

Leave a comment:

• Jackster
    replied
    I think coffee parts has a antivac that has a pipe fitting that can drain into the tray rather than steam up the inside of your machine. Someone else got one and apparently it was not good for small machines. So that is at own risk.

Gauge. Not really sure. It may have small blockage in the pipe that is holding a little pressure inside it. I'd pull it off and check it out. Maybe even take it's glass off and see if something is binding it up. Probably cheaper to just get new one...

2) pressurestat. No idea what the upgraded wiring would do, and also don't know if it only applies to the newer boards.
    I would look at a SSR to control the element so taking the switching duties away from the control board relays.
    Who in Perth.... Pfft, no idea.

3) furry crud. I had a little in other machine. I use a bit of citric or descaler and scrub it with someone else's toothbrush. Makes copper piping and brass bits shiny under hood too!
    Need to rinse it off pretty well, and that's a bit of a challenge when machine is all together. Maybe catch drips with towels in bottom of machine as you scrub and rinse.

I think you should have given it a descaler on boiler while you had the antivac off. Easy enough to fill and empty boiler out the top port, by inverting machine.

Sorry I'm not much help..mostly just opinions

Leave a comment:

• mcb
    started a topic ECM Giotto Premium Maintenance Questions

ECM Giotto Premium Maintenance Questions

Background.

I own an ECM Giotto Premium, which I purchased new in 2006 and have always run it on filtered water.

The machine is generally used to make two coffees each morning, and is water back flushed after each use. I have also undertaken the occasional chemical backflush.

Several years ago, I had it professionally serviced and the machine has generally run without any major issues. When putting the machine in for service, I advised that I had read that there had been a change to some of the control board wiring and asked that they check to make sure that the machine was to the current specs. I was advised that the wiring was fine.

The lever was progressively getting noisier and stiffer, so recently, I pulled the lever assembly apart and lubricated the pins and cam. I noted that the lower pin is worn unevenly. Post lube, all is fine.

This little burst of maintenance has led me to realise that I have been quite lax with the machines maintenance and so I have embarked on a bit of a re-education and exploration process.

As a part of this, I pulled the mushroom out and it appeared to be pretty clean compared to some of the photo's that I have seen, in my recent reading.

I also noticed that the Anti-Vac valve was taking ages to close off, resulting in a lot of steam being released and water vapour running to the base of the machine. Digging through the bits returned what the machine was last serviced, I found an old anti-vac valve that appeared to be in pretty good condition, so I changed out the valve and this cured the problem. I then pulled the one I had just remove apart and the stem was fairly rough.

Now to my questions:

1) Pressure Gauge

Some time ago, the gauge seem to stop working, it would raise to a max of about 0.5 and at time drop back to about 0.2, even when cold. As the machine was continuing to work fine, I have ignored this issue, but now want to address this. From my reading, it would appear that the gauge is probably stuffed and I need to get a replacement.

Is there any alternative thoughts, that I should investigate, before getting a replacement gauge?

2) Pressure stat wiring.

During my recent reading, I found the following post - https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...problems/page2. At post 19, I interpret TC's comments to mean that if the wires running from the pressure stat are black and grey, then this is the old spec wiring and that the machine should be rewired. My pressure stat wires are black and grey. So does this mean:

a) my wiring is the old spec;
    b) if yes, should I be looking to get it rewired, not withstanding that the machine has lasted 13+ years.
    c) if yes to b), the who in Perth is up with this requirement and recommended to do the job? I gather from one of the other posts, this is not really a DIY job.

3) White furry crud around the boiler element

When looking around I noticed a heap of build up near the boiler element terminals. I have cleaned this up, and now can't see any sign of leaks. I this something I should be concerned about?

Thank you for reading.
Working...
X