Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can trigger the thermal safety switch? [Single Boiler ECM]

Hi all,

Recently, on making my second coffee for the day, my boiler thermal safety thermostat has been set off. Which has required me to open up my machine and reset the switch.

What are the main drivers of this? My understanding is that the water level in the boiler gets too low and the high portion of steam within the boiler raises the avg. temperature above the threshold?

Some context:
    - I'm using a ECM Classika (non-PID) single boiler
    - I recently started using a kogan wifi socket to turn on my machine automatically in the morning.
    - My usual process for making a milk coffee is: Turn on machine using wifi --> open up brew lever to flush machine (this fills boiler) --> pull shot --> turn on steam --> flush steam wand a few times --> steam milk ---> turn off steam ---> make another coffee in n hours

What flags in my process is that the boiler only refills when I open up the brew lever. Should I be using the manual pump to refill more often? It appears I have enough water in the boiler as when I open up my steam wand when the machine is not steaming, I get water streaming out.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by chickensalad12; 10 July 2020, 10:32 AM.

G'day mate....

Given that all operational factors are working normally, I'd suspect the TOL requires replacement.
    These are not expensive and would be worth replacing as part of the troubleshooting process anyway...

Mal.

Comment

I always fill the boiler before turning off. This way when you turn on there is no risk of damaging the heater element /overheating. If you have done a lot of steaming prior to turning off, the water level in the boiler might be quite low. You don't mention in your process: "Turn on machine using wifi --> open up brew lever to flush machine (this fills boiler)" the time between turning on with wifi and filling the boiler. If this was too long and the water level was too low, the sensor might have tripped.

Comment

Working...
      X