Isomac Zaffiro: suspected boiler leak and how to repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isomac Zaffiro: suspected boiler leak and how to repair

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been thinking about upgrading from my now ten year old Isomac Zaffiro to a Profitec Pro 600 (wanted a Decent DE1+, but at around $6K landed, it's too expensive for me). The machine was modded with an external PID controller, but it is supplied with 240V from the machine and I've never felt completely comfortable with the arrangement. Looking into how the PID controller could be installed inside e.g. having it mounted in a hole cut out of the front stainless steel panel, I opened the machine to see where it might fit.

Sadly, I noticed what looks like a leak in the boiler (see photo). Am I correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BoilerIssue_1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	836849

While I had the cover off, I powered-on the machine and brought it up to temperature, but could not detect anything escaping.

Wondering if it's still safe to operate, and what might be involved in repairing it or getting it repaired. Do machine technicians do call-outs (I don't have a car and live in Clovelly, NSW).

I'm also interested in getting a quote from anyone who could organise for the PID controller to be properly fitted so that I can sell the machine after I take delivery of the new one.

Is there an Anti-Vac or Safety Valve immediately above the extraneous deposit?
    Could just be down to a leak from above...

Mal.

Comment

I love your optimism Mal! ? Sadly it looks like a pin hole to me.

charlie

Comment

I have the same issue with my ECM Technica Profi, hopefully it can be welded up, don't like the prospect of replacing the boiler on an only 3 year old machine. N8

Comment

Originally posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
          I love your optimism Mal! ? Sadly it looks like a pin hole to me.

charlie
          JetBlack_Espresso I just ordered a Profitec Pro 600 and Flow Rate Regulator from you just in case

Dimal thanks for your reply. I'll open her up tonight to check the top of the boiler and will report back.

Comment

• MarkQ
            MarkQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Woo! Profitec Pro 600 arrived this afternoon! Thanks, JetBlack_Espresso. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I got the right machine, because I also ordered a Flow Rate Regulator and asked for it to be installed, and it was neither supplied nor installed...boooo!
            I'm sure it'll get sorted-out, but just a tad annoying, as I was looking forward to making my first espresso with it tomorrow morning

• MarkQ
            MarkQ commented
            Editing a comment
            An update to the missing Flow Rate Regulator issue: I called JetBlack_Espresso this morning, and they were apologetic and offered to get the courier to collect the machine, install the FRR, and ship it back to me, or ship the FRR to me. Of course, me being as keen as mustard wanting to play with new toy as soon as possible said "Sure, please ship the FRR and I'll install it". Mistake on its way to being resolved.

MarkQ That will definitely be a solution ?

charlie

Comment

Originally posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
            MarkQ That will definitely be a solution ?

charlie
            Haha...indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
              Is there an Anti-Vac or Safety Valve immediately above the extraneous deposit?
              Could just be down to a leak from above...

Mal.
              Dimal I'm not sure I need to open the machine, as I found another photo I'd taken that shows the top edge of the boiler, and it looks clean

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200802_151400.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	836995

Comment

If it is just a stainless steel boiler I'd be tempted to just take it out and take it to a stainless steel fabricator and get them to weld a bead over the hole. Alternatively maybe one of those car radiator hole putty repair kits would work but obviously it needs to be food safe etc

Comment

That welding looks like it's on aluminium... There is aluminium brazing rods available. Not sure if they are food safe.
                  For what it's worth with stripping machine and repairing and maybe it's thin in a few spots, I'd be pricing a new boiler

Comment

Jackster and Superman while I was searching for suitable replacement boilers, I found an original manual, which says that the boiler is nickel-plated brass.

Comment

Interesting idea for repairing boiler pinholes: Loctite 290, as suggested by a few people here: https://www.home-barista.com/repairs...rs-t16210.html.

Comment

I think nickel would accept a copper solder patch. But give that Loctite 290 a go!

Comment

Working...
                        X