Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocket/ECM heat exchanger machine or Breville dual boiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The same could be said for anything these days.
    Cars, for example...

Mal.

Comment

I was in the same boat was seriously looking at the BDB, and I still think it is one of the best bang for bucks with the PID. I just don't like the look of it and it's huge! I ended up getting the ECM Slim. After about 1 month I then ditched the BSG grinder and bought the NZ grinder. (Factor in grinder and water filtration costs)

The HX with E61 does take a good 30 mins to warm up - and you do go through some water. I've done a little bit of maintenance, greased the E61 cam, adjusted the pressure stat etc which is all dead easy to do.

My neighbor has the the BDB, and the steam performance is night and day between the two... I don't think there is much difference in coffee quality.

Comment

• cscs
        cscs commented
        Editing a comment
        Good day squibcakes,

I saw your following post and is hoping you can share some of your experience with ECM vSlim and BDB

<<<
        I was in the same boat was seriously looking at the BDB, and I still think it is one of the best bang for bucks with the PID. I just don't like the look of it and it's huge! I ended up getting the ECM Slim. After about 1 month I then ditched the BSG grinder and bought the NZ grinder. (Factor in grinder and water filtration costs)

The HX with E61 does take a good 30 mins to warm up - and you do go through some water. I've done a little bit of maintenance, greased the E61 cam, adjusted the pressure stat etc which is all dead easy to do.

My neighbor has the the BDB, and the steam performance is night and day between the two... I don't think there is much difference in coffee quality.
        >>>

when you said "the steam performance is night and day between the two" , do you mean the steam performance in V slim is dryer, stronger and better than BDB?  Ta mate.

• Good day squibcakes,
        • I saw your following post and is hoping you can share some of your experience with ECM vSlim and BDB
        • <<<

>>>

when you said "the steam performance is night and day between the two" , do you mean the steam performance in V slim is dryer, stronger and better than BDB? Ta mate.

Comment

The BDB takes a lot longer to steam the same amount of milk. If you drink a lot of large lattes expect it to take longer to make. Maybe his steam wand is blocked or maybe under powered I don't know.

Comment

• dbun
          dbun commented
          Editing a comment
          The steam power of the BDB is not that strong, but it does get the job done.

In someways it is good as the slow steam power is more forgiving as you get more time to work the milk.

I’ve used the BDB and an ECM HX machine for a while and coffee between the two are very similar using the same beans and the same technique on each. I reckon the BDB is excellent value for money considering it’s a third of the price so if money is the main concern I’d lean towards the BDB and try to never lay eyes on a beautiful Italian made HX machine in hopes to delay the onset of upgradeitis

Comment

• dbun
          dbun commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. With a good grinder and good beans the BDB makes fantastic coffee.

I think the Italian machines are WAY over priced for what they are.... but gee they look good in the kitchen!

Comment

I know its not for everyone, but If you're handy, you can pick up a used machine that needs a service. I have seen Giotto's that need the group rebuilt going for less than $1000. Its a bit of a project but like everyone on here has said, parts are readily available and there is heaps of support and advice on this site. You will save a ton of money and by the end you will be confident to maintain and service your machine.
          Not the same as walking into a shop and pointing at a lump of shiny stainless steel and saying "give me that one" but maybe something to consider.

Comment

Working...
          X