Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expobar steam wand occasionally dripping

Hi everyone,
    I have a Expobar Minore IV. It is pretty much new.
    I have found that the steam wand sometimes drips water when sitting idle and on.
    It is slow and small. Maybe 15-20ml. Is this normal?
    It isn't hot to touch and I can cover the steam hole and not feel any pressure.

It is a non-burn steam wand.
    The pressure in the steam boiler is 1.1 bars.

It does sometimes drip after it is turned off too as it cools.

It thought it could be condensation?
    Or maybe I need to tighten it more, I have be cautious not to over tighten.
    Or maybe the Teflon plug on the steam valve isn't sealing properly.

What do people think?

According to Whole Lot Latte Love (great resource btw), the steam wand should drip or leak a little bit after use or when the machine is initially turned on. This is normal as there is condensation built up in the wand.

I occasionally notice a drip, but I have a tea towel to the side where the steam wand points, so I never really notice it.

Have a look at this resource: https://wiki.wholelattelove.com/Expobar_Brewtus_IV

Comment

I would not regard it as normal. I have a much older Minore and the wand does not leak when I am done with it regardless of machine being on or off.
      Some water will collect in the wand between use (EG: Steam settling back to water) which is why I do a quick purge of the wand before I commence steaming my milk.
      I'd say that purge would be no more than 5ml in total so 15-20 ml drip seems a lot.

Might be worth a chat with who you purchased it from.

Edit - To be fair, Dimmy has a point as well. There is a likelihood of dripping in that context, but again I think 15-20 ml is excessive. It should only be what is present in the wand after steaming and beyond the close point, so for that volume, I still think it is high.

Comment

I had chatted to the company I purchased it from and they were willing to help but did want me to give it a couple of months and see if it was still an issue.
        I wanted to establish other people's experiences with the same machine before I do anything.

Comment

• Yelta
          Yelta commented
          Editing a comment
          If its under warranty tell them to fix it, probably only a seal.
          Telling you to wait a couple of months is bullshit.

I've always found it more common with the teflon seal valves. You get good ones and bad ones, but it is just the price level they are at . They are lower spec than a silicon seal , spring loaded valve . In saying that, the drip should be minimal, if at all - and 15-20mls sounds like a lot.

I also find it more common with these when you tighten them properly when hot, then as everything shrinks and contracts as it cools down, when you re- start the machine next day, it needs a re-tighten to get it to seal properly .

Comment

Originally posted by kofekitt View Post
          I've always found it more common with the teflon seal valves. You get good ones and bad ones, but it is just the price level they are at . They are lower spec than a silicon seal , spring loaded valve . In saying that, the drip should be minimal, if at all - and 15-20mls sounds like a lot.

I also find it more common with these when you tighten them properly when hot, then as everything shrinks and contracts as it cools down, when you re- start the machine next day, it needs a re-tighten to get it to seal properly .
          This was a very helpful observation. I had never thought of that!

I took the valve out and cleaned it, and that made a difference. And tightening a little more firmly stopped the dripping. Also, just realising as the temperature changes and the metal shrinks it needs a re-tightening made a big difference.

Over all, it now drips a couple of times warming up, cooling down or after being used. But only a couple of drops. Nothing like before.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Yelta
            Yelta commented
            Editing a comment
            It shouldn't drip at all.

I own one of these. I sometimes don't turn off tight enough and have had a drip. I've had problems with the pressure switch(es) over a period of 3-4 years though. This causes the steam boiler relief valve to have a hissy fit!

Comment

Working...
          X