Best Small Size Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Small Size Grinder

Hi i have a mum that cant stand me taking up her precious bench space. When i brought home my Silvia and put in the kitchen she nearly had a fit at its size.
    Now i need a good grinder that will do the silvia justice. the rocky looks BIG too me and on the expensive side. any other recommendations????

Re: Best Small Size Grinder

Originally posted by PhatBoy link=1154502795/0#0 date=1154502794
    Hi i have a mum that cant stand me taking up her precious bench space. When i brought home my Silvia and put in the kitchen she nearly had a fit at its size.
    Now i need a good grinder that will do the silvia justice. the rocky looks BIG too me and on the expensive side. any other recommendations????
    If it has to be small, Id suggest the Iberital Challenge. Attilio of Cosmorex (Fresh_Coffee) can look after you with great service and a fair price...

Hope this helps...

2mcm

Comment

The Sunbeam em480 is on the small size as well as a reasonable price - I paid $165 for mine.

Alternatively, buy the Rocky and a small bar fridge for your milk and set the whole thing up in your room. If your mum doesnt want to share the bench space, she probably wont be happy with the mess that a grinder makes either.

Comment

Originally posted by Viviane link=1154502795/0#2 date=1154508228
        The Sunbeam em480 is on the small size as well as a reasonable price - I paid $165 for mine.

Alternatively, buy the Rocky and a small bar fridge for your milk and set the whole thing up in your room.   If your mum doesnt want to share the bench space, she probably wont be happy with the mess that a grinder makes either.  
        I think that the adjustability of the Ibreital more justifies the extra spend- the Sunbeam is known to have pretty large steps. I guess that if your mum has an issue with the machine, you wont need to make her a coffee as shed have to have an issue with consumption of the products of the machine as well??  :P ;D

Comment

The Nuova Simonelli MDF is probably the smallest grinder mentioned yet. It doesnt get much press, but it is a very good grinder. Stepless adjustment, grind quality probably on par with the Mazzer Mini and a doser that sweeps very clean. The only thing is that it has small burrs and, so, grinds very slowly. And it tends to be priced in the same ballpark as the mazzer mini.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Yeah, the MDF is just too expensive to justify here in Australia. It would be an extravagance to buy one of these and Im surprised that anyone ever does.

Greg

Comment

Luca,

Do you have any experience with the Eureka MCI (essentially a doserless and rebadged version of the Nuovo Simonelli MCF)?

It is a small grinder and wondering if it is similar to the NS MDF you mentioned?

Comment

the rocky looks BIG too me and on the expensive side. any other recommendations????

PhatBoy,

A few months ago I looked high and low for a decent espresso grinder that is smaller than the Rocky but couldnt really find anything except for the Sunbeam EM480.

The Iberital was my next choice but it looks physically larger due to the overall taller height.

The "smallest" quality grinder remains to be the Rancilio Rocky doserless. Sorry, there really isnt anything out there that is smaller and cheaper and high quality.

Lawrance

Comment

The
                  Originally posted by tempestv8 link=1154502795/0#7 date=1181187956
                  the rocky looks BIG too me and on the expensive side. any other recommendations????

PhatBoy,

A few months ago I looked high and low for a decent espresso grinder that is smaller than the Rocky but couldnt really find anything except for the Sunbeam EM480.

The Iberital was my next choice but it looks physically larger due to the overall taller height.

The "smallest" quality grinder remains to be the Rancilio Rocky doserless.  Sorry, there really isnt anything out there that is smaller and cheaper and high quality.

Lawrance
                  The ECM KS is better and on a small footprint as well. Way better ergonomics, adjustability and grind consistency....I have a cheapie for sale

2mcm

Comment

If the Rocky is on the expensive side for Phatboy, the ECM KS will be well and truly more than what he is prepared to pay for a grinder.

However, if you discount any product deeply enough, theres always a good chance that it becomes attractive enough to make the transaction.

Comment

Hi all,

We have been playing around with the Ascaso i2 conical for the last few weeks, which might be of interest, so I thought that Id upload a bit of a spiel on it to the grinder thread: click here. Long story short; we liked the doserless model and have added it to our range, but felt that the doser wasnt of great quality and wont be stocking that. The i2s come in a variety of colours and unfortunately my attempts to display a bunch of them together have been frustrated by people buying them ;P

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Noice - looks a lot like someone took a challenge and dressed it up. . .

How does it compare in the decibel stakes with the Challenge?

Comment

Hey Luca,

How did you get the grinder in the picture to fill the porta filter and not waste any grind in the chute? Also, I like how learn how to levitate the PF to the grinder without using hands.

Seriously though, it looks good.

Does it come in other colours?

Comment

im also curious. Ive heard that these have a metal burr carrier unlike the iberital plastic one. also the grinder throat looks to be wider then the iberital. bigger burrs? =better and faster grind?

Comment

muppet_man67

If you follow the link Luca included above - there is a full description of the grinder....

From that the burr carrier is plastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X