Sunbeam EM0450 - new conical burr grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM0450 - new conical burr grinder

Hey there! Just curious whether anyone has come across this new Sunbeam grinder.  

I was googling the EM0480 and found this on their website.  You have to click kitchen appliances then beverage makers then accessories (or the following link)

http://www.sunbeam.com.au/products/product_details.cfm?rec_id=659&sec_id=33&home_id=2

Obviously not part of the cafe series but I have the suspicion it might be the same grinder!!  Perhaps this is the proletariat version.  Either way it is perhaps a bit smaller for home use.  Anyone in the trade have some inside information?  

Re: Sunbeam EM0450 - new conical burr grinder

Gday gupa,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs there mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

Actually, there was one of these for sale not that long ago and from memory the owner wasnt very impressed with it so I would be wary of buying one, unless it was just for Plunger, Stove-top use etc. If you need a grinder for espresso use - in the short term - then the EMO480 will perform as a stop-gap grinder until such time as you can afford something that is more purposefully designed. As with everything though, its all horses for courses and what your budget can withstand but a Grinder of the ilk of a Mazzer Mini, ECM Best, Macap 4/5, La Cimbali Cadet are built to last a lifetime of domestic duty and as such would be the last grinder you would ever need to buy. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Actually, I think this is the updated model to the EM0480...Conical burrs etc... But doesnt have the "Paul Bassett" signature... interesting....I would want it demonstrated before I bought it...

Comment

I gave Sunbeam a call today - apparently the EM0450 is the same as the EM0480 apart from the housing / enclosure!! That is from one of the customer service people, so it is not written in gold. Having said that, the specs on the website look pretty similiar.

The EM0450 is $159 list price on the website - I wonder what someone can get it for cash!! This has got to be putting the cats amongst the Rocky pigeons... if only the name had any street cred.

Comment

Good find. Ive been looking at getting a grinder myself recently, and had been looking along the solis 166 line, but I might hold off for a little bit to see what this little bumber ends up selling for. Keep an eye out for who is actually selling it yet.

Comment

Solis 166... No no in my book... especially for what they go for... The Em0480 for $30 more is miles better... I suspect the EM0450 would be as well...

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1161409619/0#5 date=1161640291
              Solis 166... No no in my book...
              Agreed - dont get a Solis (unless you are looking for a grinder for other than espresso)...

For espresso the 166 doesnt make the grade!

Always buy the best grinder you can afford - this is more important than the actual coffee machine.

Comment

Really? I have read a number of reviews that say the solis 166 is alright for expresso - not excellent, but alright. Im only using it with a sunbeam 4800 (cafe crema).

Plus, Im on a pretty tight budget. It might depend on how much the shops end up selling this 0450 for. I think I can get a DeLonghi KG100 for about $100, and I cant spend much more than that. Ill have to wait and see, I guess. The 0450 does look good, and the fact that it has replaceable burrs would surely add to its longevity.

Comment

Originally posted by Spud McDoug link=1161409619/0#7 date=1161654237
                  Really? I have read a number of reviews that say the solis 166 is alright for expresso - not excellent, but alright. Im only using it with a sunbeam 4800 (cafe crema).
                  I have one - now used only for plunger!! The Solis 166 AKA Delonghi KG100 can be tweaked to grind a bit finer (barely adequate for any espresso machine out of the box)

BUT...

It produces a very inconsistent grind (lots of dust) on the lower settings....

With a Solis SL90 machine and the 166 grinder I made passable espresso if I used the pressurised baskets... normal basket and it was very poor!

Replaced it with the La Cimbali grinder..... and I thought Id bought a whole new coffee machine...

(By the way, there are many excellent grinders far cheaper than the La Cimbali ..... but the KG100/ Solis 166 isnt one of them )

Comment

JavaB is correct.. it isnt good enough for espresso... no matter what you read.... pressurised baskets or not, you cant disguise a pour grind...

JavaB and myself personally can testify as we own it... honestly, spend the extra... you wont regret it...! not only that, the Sunbeam grinder the Burrset is replaceable... the 166 isnt.

Comment

In that case I might wait to see how much the 0450 gets sold for. But unless its significantly less than the listed RRP, I think Ill have to settle for the solis. Ill cross my fingers.

Does anyone know if the 0450 is even out on shelves yet?

Comment

No idea...

you should get a good cash price for it though.... Keep your eye on the Good Guys... they always offer good cash deals...

Comment

Sounds like a good plan.

Shout out if anyone sees one around.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1161409619/0#1 date=1161439281
                            Actually, there was one of these for sale not that long ago and from memory the owner wasnt very impressed with it so I would be wary of buying one, unless it was just for Plunger, Stove-top use etc. If you need a grinder for espresso use - in the short term - then the EMO480 will perform as a stop-gap grinder until such time as you can afford something that is more purposefully designed. As with everything though, its all horses for courses and what your budget can withstand but a Grinder of the ilk of a Mazzer Mini, ECM Best, Macap 4/5, La Cimbali Cadet are built to last a lifetime of domestic duty and as such would be the last grinder you would ever need to buy.
                            Just to add weight to what I said above,

This grinder is apparently already available and is classified at a lower price point than the EMO480 so I would expect there to be some level of deficiency from the EMO450 compared to the other. The fact that a member owned one and wanted to sell it as a Plunger/Drip grinder probably says more about its potential as an espresso grinder. As with everything, before parting with the hard-earned you really do need to suss out the capabilities and performance of the grinder. Get them to give you a demo of it, bring your own beans with you to try out, check its performance at the lower(est) settings where you will be using it for espresso and see if the cuttings are nice and gritty and sharp..... not just ground up beans with a large percentage of dust. Its your money so make sure you get what you expect,

Cheers,
                            Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1161409619/0#13 date=1161676585
                              Originally posted by Mal link=1161409619/0#1 date=1161439281
                              Actually, there was one of these for sale not that long ago and from memory the owner wasnt very impressed with it so I would be wary of buying one, unless it was just for Plunger, Stove-top use etc. If you need a grinder for espresso use - in the short term - then the EMO480 will perform as a stop-gap grinder until such time as you can afford something that is more purposefully designed. As with everything though, its all horses for courses and what your budget can withstand but a Grinder of the ilk of a Mazzer Mini, ECM Best, Macap 4/5, La Cimbali Cadet are built to last a lifetime of domestic duty and as such would be the last grinder you would ever need to buy.
                              Just to add weight to what I said above,

This grinder is apparently already available and is classified at a lower price point than the EMO480 so I would expect there to be some level of deficiency from the EMO450 compared to the other. The fact that a member owned one and wanted to sell it as a Plunger/Drip grinder probably says more about its potential as an espresso grinder. As with everything, before parting with the hard-earned you really do need to suss out the capabilities and performance of the grinder. Get them to give you a demo of it, bring your own beans with you to try out, check its performance at the lower(est) settings where you will be using it for espresso and see if the cuttings are nice and gritty and sharp..... not just ground up beans with a large percentage of dust. Its your money so make sure you get what you expect,

Cheers,
                              Mal.
                              Mal, I think that you are getting confused with the EM0430 that was sold in the Coffee Hardware for Sale thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1155017541 The EM0450 is apparently (from what someone has said in this thread) very similar, if not identical, in grinding ability to the EM0480. It has only just been released according to the Sunbeam website and I dont think any CSers have tried it yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X