This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info/Reviews of Grinders - NO Discussions

This thread is for the posting of basic information/reviews of grinders and is intended to be used as a starting point for those looking at acquiring a new machine.

For ease of reading posts should be made using the following format:

Machine Name:
    Price Range:
    Features (Stepless, Auto-grind etc):
    Notes:

This thread is not for any discussion, only informational posts in the above format. Any posts made not of this type will be deleted.

Unless you have some additional information about a machine that has already been covered please do not make an additional post.

Please use the regular forum for any discussion or questions.

For further information on a particular machine use the search button at the top of the page, or alternatively use your favorite search engine and add the string site:coffeesnobs.com.au to limit the returns to only this site.

Java "Data! We must have more data!!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Re: Information/Reviews of Grinders

This is my first grinder so take this with a grain of salt. This is only my experience of the grinder so far.

Grinder Name: Iberital Challenge (doserless)  
    Price Range:  $330 (at time of writing)
    Espresso ability: 4-5  
    Notes: First impression is that it is quite noisey but not unbearable. It is stepless and is great when dialled into to a single application. So if you switch between espresso and plunger grind you may not like this. But for single function of espresso grind it is great. A heap of range and adjustment via a knob on the side of the grinder. Great bang for buck for this grinder. There is also a doser version available. Great entry level grinder.  
    Grinder is available from site sponsors.  

Comment

Machine Name: Cimbali Cadet
      Price Range: $850+
      Features (Stepless, Auto-grind etc): Stepless (but with step-like measures for easy reference in 1/25 mm increments), Doser and auto-grind after 6 taps of the lever.
      Notes: Not really sure what is considered "quiet" but it doesnt appear overly loud, and given that the 64mm grinder-set make pretty short work of the beans, it isnt on for very long.
      7.5kg/hr
      1kg hopper capacity
      Height x Depth x Width (mm) = 470x360x225

Is built like a tank and weighs approx 12kg.

Comment

Machine Name: COMPAK K10 Konic WBC spec
        Price: $2095

Sponsor suppliers: Talk Coffee

Features:

Stepless grind adjustment, 300RPM conical burrs. Competition Dosing chamber.

Power 490 w
        Grinding burrs 68 mm
        Burr speed    300 rpm (50 Hz)
        Hopper capacity 1700 g
        Doser capacity 300 g
        Dose Adjustment 5.5—9.0 g
        Weight 17.0 kg
        Dimensions: (w x d x h) 210 x 365 x 635

Colour: K10 is Platinum K10 WBC is Black

Notes:
        Fantastic grinder. This is the WBC spec grinder meaning it spins at lower RPM as stated above and also has a competition dosing chamber (ie-no tamper on the front of the doser etc).

It has SUPERB grind quality there is no clumpiness at all! The doser is great it actually doses straight down into the pf instead of flinging grinds to the left..... It sweeps pretty clean.

Bad things are there is quite alot of grinds that get kept in the collar so they dont get flung out into the dosing chamber......which means stale grinds so you have to always grind of abit before you start getting rid of all the old stuff. The distance from the grinding collar and dosing chamber exit is quite long so once again you must grind abit of prior to using it. Id say there would be close to 20g or excess grinds sitting in the collar and exit path to the dosing chamber. I guess this could be easily fixed perhaps in future models....
        The hopper is abit fragile in my view. It has this knob that you tighten to hold it in place and i think the 1st day i used it i cracked the bottom of the hopper due to overtightening and not being aware of how easy it cracks....
        The stepless adjustment is easy to adjust. Its firm but you dont have to put your whole body into it when moving adjustments.
        The lid to the dosing chamber basically is a big feature to make this grinder look smoothe and sexy. If you take it off though it looks extremely naked and abit weird and perhaps vulnerable. In saying that though it still looks good.

As i mentioned before it really is just so easy to dose with this grinder. It doses straight down into the basket which is such a joy to use. Beautiful grinds dosing directly into your pf makes it so much easier and controlable.

The forks you stick your pf on while dosing are a solid plastic design. I dont really like it i definatly would rather some sort of metal design so you can manouvre the pf around abit more while dosing and also when you knock the pf down it tends to bounce of the plasic where as metal it feels alot more solid.

In conclusion i love this grinder i think it really is fantastic. Its definitely made me happy and has givin me great extractions and i put this down to its supurb grind quality !

Comment

Heres my 2 cents worth...

Machine Name: Sunbeam EM0480
          Price Range: <$200 (Got mine for $155)
          Features: Stepped grind adjustment (i.e it is NOT stepless), Conical burrs

Notes: Excellent quality entry level grinder. Bought this as I was on a very tight budget <$200. After a few weeks of use Im finding it to be an excellent grinder and the shots are great for the money paid. Its a huge step up from having your freshly roasted beans ground for you which is what I had to do before I bought the grinder.

The limitation Im finding (and remember Im no expert) is that it is not a stepless grinder so I cant make micro fine adjustments to accommodate changes in other variables that affect the espresso shot.

It produces a little static in the ground coffee so it can get a little messy.

Im also finding it to be reliable in grind consistency when dialling in back to my espresso setting after switching to grind for plunger.

To conclude, I love the grinder as I dont have lots of $$$ to spend on my coffee hobby. So I would recommend it if youre first starting out down the path of considering a grinder for your espresso machine and want to spend as little as possible.

Comment

Machine Name: Sunbeam EM0480
            Price Range: <$200
            Features: Stepped grind adjustment, value for money, Conical burrs
            Seems a good machine and Sunbeam offers good service. I have had to replace my grinder after 3 months as the contact to allow the motor to start had become faulty. Had to wiggle the hopper to get it to work.
            All is good now though

Comment

Machine Name: Compak K3 Touch
              Price Range: RRP: $600

Sponsor suppliers: Talk Coffee/DiBartoli

Features:  

Motor Power (watt):  93 (this is output)
              R.p.m. : 300
              Blade set (mm): 58 mm
              Espresso Area: Standard
              Stepless micrometrical grinding adjustment:
              Standard Production (Kg/h / Lb/h)*: 3.5-4.5 / 6-10
              Operation cycles*: 20’ + 10’ stop
              Voltage (V): 240
              Hopper capacity (g): 800
              Net weight (kg.): 5.5
              Height-width-depth (mm): 495/165/305
              Available colours: Champagne (Feb 07 onwards)

Notes: This grinder is looking really nice and undercuts the Mazzer mini-e by a huge margin ($400+). It doses very cleanly into the PF with minimal static. Some clumping evident- as with all doserless grinders in addition to retention of some grinds in the throat- as all grinders do.

You simply adjust grind time for a single and then in theory, its a matter of one or two timed touches. Keep in mind that you will most likely have to pulse the grinder (you switch to permanent on using the power switch) to achieve your perfect dose- especially if you like to updose. I find this a tad fiddly as its a 2 handed operation.

Coffee is a volatile product and changes from day to day. No grinder is ever set and forget .

Nevertheless, this is the category killer doserless grinder.

Comment

Machine Name: Compak K3 Elite
                Price Range: RRP: $790ish

Sponsor suppliers: Talk Coffee/DiBartoli

Features:

Motor Power (watt): Input 250, output 93
                R.p.m. :1300
                Burr set (mm): 58 mm
                Espresso Area: Standard
                Stepless micrometrical grinding adjustment: Standard
                Automatic Stop: Standard in Aust
                Production (Kg/h  /  Lb/h)*: 5-7 / 11-15
                Operation cycles*: 20’ + 10’ stop
                Voltage (V): 240
                Hopper capacity (g): 800
                Capacity ground coffee (g): 200
                Dispenser ring: Aluminium
                Dispenser material: Polished aluminium
                Dispenser lever position: Right
                Net weight (kg.): 8,5
                Height-width-depth (mm): 495/165/305
                Available colours: Champagne

Notes: I really am impressed with this grinder. I have been testing one at home for the past couple of weeks and it is a definite competitor to the Mazzer-mini timer but substantially cheaper. Grind adjustment is quick, accurate and easy. The dosing action is terrific (I prefer it to the mazzer) and the dosing chamber is a piece of art. It sweeps at least as clean as the mazzer. I would happily lose the tamper and a lip on the dregs tray would be nice but these are very minor gripes.

Comment

Machine Name: ECM Best
                  Price Range: RRP: $high 700s

Sponsor suppliers: Coffeehit?, DiBartoli, Talk Coffee

Features:

Chrome plated stainless steel finish as per Giotto
                  Stepped adjustment (the steps are small and no problem)
                  54 mm burr set
                  May have the same motor as the Mazzers- yet to be confirmed
                  Inbuilt tamping device- which I remove
                  Weight 7.5 kg

Notes- Internals of the doser contain a fair amount of plastic but this has no affect on operation. This doser sweeps very clean- possibly the best I have seen so far. This is a good option if space is tight but the unit is pricey  

Comment

Machine Name: Macap MC4. The M4C is the deli grinder- doserless version of the M5
                    Price Range: RRP: $800+

Sponsor suppliers: Cosmorex, Talk Coffee

Features:  
                    Grinding capacity: per hour  3+ kg
                    Coffee-bean hopper capacity  0.6 Kg  
                    Manual on/off switch located on right side
                    Stepless adjustment
                    Power: 250 watts 240 volts 50/60 hertz
                    Grinding blades Ø  58 mm
                    Grinding blades rpm  1400 (50Hz)  
                    Colour- Silver or Chrome (Feb 07 stock is silver)
                    Net weight  9 Kg  
                    Dimensions (Width x Depth x Height) in mm. 190x310x470   

Comment

Machine Name: Macap M4/M5.
                      Price Range: RRP: $ low 800s (NB shown here as M4 with short hopper. M5 has tall hopper)

Sponsor suppliers: Cosmorex, Talk Coffee

Features:

Grinding capacity: per hour  3+ kg
                      Coffee-bean hopper capacity  0.8 Kg  
                      Manual on/off switch located on right side
                      Stepped adjustment on grind on present Aust versions...  
                      Body: Chrome plating over steel or Silver powdercoat
                      Ground coffee doser capacity: 0.2 Kilograms
                      Dose adjustment range: 5-9 grams
                      Power: 250 watts 240 volts 50/60 hertz
                      Grinding blades Ø  58 mm  
                      Grinding blades rpm  1400 (50Hz)  
                      Net weight  9 Kg  
                      Dimensions (Width x Depth x Height) in mm. 190x310x470

Notes- nice grinder and a good alternative to the Mazzer mini. Very favourable reviews on CG.

Comment

Machine Name: Rancilio Rocky
                        Price Range: RRP: $495 doserless, $510 doser

Sponsor suppliers: Cosmorex, DiBartoli, Talk Coffee

Features:

Grinder burrs: diameter 50 mm  
                        Bean hopper: capacity  300 grams  
                        Doser version: approx. 6 grams dosage (NB Doser is NOT adjustable)
                        Doserless version: grind on demand  
                        Semi-automatic  
                        Output of 2.5 - 3.5 kg per hour  
                        Dimensions: 128mm (W) x 359mm (H) x 256mm (D)

Notes: Very good mid-range grinder. Adjustment is stepped and therefore easily adjustable between plunger grind and espresso grind. Blue tinted hopper claimed to slow deterioration of beans. The doserless version suffers from the usual static and clumping issues which irritate some and there is no dregs tray as such. The dosing chamber on the doser version overcomes the problems of stating and clumping when used to sweep coffee into the portafilter but is not adjustable for drop which is around 6 grams if the dosing chamber is allowed to fill. This drop is matched to the small double basket supplied with the Silvia. Many owners preform mods in the doser to achieve a better sweep of coffee grounds.

Luca adds the following:
                        +easy adjustability between "espresso" and other brewing methods  
                        +metal parts seem very beefy  
                        +on the doserless, the pf holder holds the rancilio PF very nicely  

+/-better adjustability than the sunbeam, but will not satisfy someone  
                        who wants to dial the grind in 100% to a specific, standard dose (I have a small whiteboard so that I can record how much I need to dose up or down, because otherwise I usually have to throw the first shot away ... but, then again, Im picky!)  

-plastic parts (the sweepers in the dosered model dont even seem to touch the bottom of the chamber!)  
                        -fit and finish  
                        -the way to tell that youre in the ballpark for espresso grind is that there are clumps coming out  
                        -exit chute retains a fair bit of coffee  
                        -standard wiring on the doserless means that you have to hold down a  
                        spring-loaded momentary switch for it to grind, so if you want to walk  
                        away, you need to rewire the grinder yourself  

Comment

Machine Name: Iberital Challenge
                          Price Range: RRP: Grey $275 upwards (model dependent) Chrome model shown- $320+

Sponsor suppliers: Cosmorex, DiBartoli, Veneziano

Features:  

600 RPM grinder with conical grinder blades.
                          Manual model has on-off switch operation with traditional ground coffee dispenser. Automatic model grinds the coffee fresh and has a volume adjustment for amount of ground coffee required.

Luca adds the following:
                          +trespade burr set (?)  
                          +stepless adjustment (but note that it is very fine, so you have to  
                          twirl that knob a lot)  

-burr carrier is nowhere near as sturdy as the more expensive grinders  
                          -loud, high-pitched  
                          -no switching between espresso and french press  
                          -doserless is messy  
                          -doser looks fragile (risk of spring breakage)  

Note that the Lux, Sunbeam and Iberital all have the same burrs probably made by the same manufacturer

Comment

Machine Name: Nemox
                            Price Range: RRP: $approx 300

Sponsor suppliers: Cosmorex?

Features:

Stainless steel body.
                            The grinding mechanism is conical, hardened, tempered steel
                            800 RPM.
                            bean hopper holds 150gms.

Luca adds:

+trespade conical burr set  
                            +very small (I have borrowed greg kaans a few times when travelling  
                            to grind for french press; I squeeze it inbetween all of my socks and  
                            stuff in my luggage)  

-basically identical to the sunbeam, but more expensive

Comment

Machine Name: Mazzer mini manual/mini-timer
                              Price Range: RRP: $820

Sponsor suppliers: Coffeehit, DiBartoli, Talk Coffee, Veneziano

Features:

Doser refill: Manual
                              Doser adjustment: 5.5 grams to 9 grams
                              Doser capacity: 200 grams
                              Hopper capacity: 600 grams
                              Grinding blades: 58mm diameter
                              Power: 0.20hp
                              Colour: Black or Silver (Polished Aluminium +$120)
                              Dimensions: 158mm (W) x 188mm (D) x 460mm (H)  

Luca adds
                              +grind quality sets the bar  
                              +grind adjustability is very good (although the collar can be stiff at first)  
                              +I am aware of almost no complaints about durability  
                              +does espresso/french press very well  
                              +springs holding burr carrier under tension  

-doser leaves behind a bit of coffee on the floor (mod: duct tape on the sweepers)  
                              -coffee sits on the centre of the dosing star (mod: tube over star to force coffee to fall into dosing segments)  
                              -doser throws coffee to the left (mod: heaps of guys have made metal  
                              bits for the coffee to whack into to fall straight down, or you can just thwack really fast

Comment

Working...
                              X