Gaggia mdf /mm grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia mdf /mm grinder

After doing a bit of reading here, I was hoping for a bit of advice.
    I have very little space for my coffee machine/grinder set up.

I have a bit of a dilemma, I have just been chatting to the coffee stuff supplier I frequent and he has an GaggiaMDF grinder that I may be able to get cheaper as it has a bit of shop damage (a scratch on the casing). Taking budget into consideration I was also contemplating buying a gaggiaMM grinder, which are probably not going to be available until Jan/feb. It seems now that I may be purchasing the MDF.

After reading some of the stuff on here, some terms have me a bit confused. What I wanted to know was the following:

What does Doser mean?
    What is the dirference between doser and non doser?
    How messy will this thing be, because OG manages to spread coffee grounds all over the kitchen ;D

and finally
    Who the hell is Rocky? Is he one of those studly types as he seems to be very popular :P

Re: Gaggia mdf /mm grinder

Hi lucinda,

A doser is like a reservoir to store ground coffee that sits between the grinder and the outlet. It has a mechanism which allows you to deposit (or dose) exactly the same amount of ground coffee into the basket each time. Theyre particularly useful in a busy cafe setting because you dont have to wait for the coffee to be ground before each shot - just dose and brew. The doser sometimes helps to remove static electricity that sometimes builds up in the grinding process, but that depends a lot on the model. Doserless models are sometimes more popular for purists because dosers often leave some coffee behind, meaning you get a bit of last grinds coffee in your fresh grind; that said there are ways around this problem, but a doserless grinder is probably still better in that regard as theres ultimatley less bits for old coffee and oils to collect on. Also, its one less thing to break if you dont have a doser, and they tend to be a little cheaper (others can probably expand on the pros and cons).

Rocky is the most common grinder made by Rancilio. You can search the grinders forum to read all about it. It comes with or without a doser.

From my memory of other posts, the Gaggia MDF tends to be pretty bad with static so its more likely to make a mess than, say, a Rocky or a Mazzer. Others could confirm or deny this.

HTH!

Greg

Comment

Rocky is Silvias boyfriend.

A doser is the chamber that holds and measures ground coffee into the portafilter.
      Some grinders come in both types, with or without.

Here is a picture of Rocky in both guises.

I have a Macap grinder and chose the doser version.
      One consideration being that it should be a tad less messy.
      I still only grind per shot but the doser collects the grinds first before they are dispensed to the portafilter.
      Some say the dosing action can break up any clumping of the grinds and may be less prone to static electricity (one of the contributers to mess I believe).

EDIT: Id have beat Greg to post if I didnt go looking for the picture.  :P

Comment

Lucinda,

Firstly, I fear you will need a bigger board or to remove it as I dont think any good quality grinders are going to fit on the edge.

Secondly - a doser is a chamber that holds the ground coffee which can then be dispensed to your portafilter. Usually by a click lever that is meant to deliver ground coffee in doses of adjustable amounts (around 7g per click). Some dosers however do not offer much beyond a holding area.
        Difference between doser and non-doser -
        Doser - coffee goes into the doser
        Non-doser - coffee comes straight out of the grinder into the waiting
        portafilter which is usually resting on 2 forks under the chute.

How messy will correlate somewhat to the grinder, somewhat to whether you get a doser/non-doser and somewhat to how you use it.
        Generally speaking - Yes Virginia, there will be a fine brown powder requiring cleanup every now and then.

Rocky is Bullwinkles offsider. After the series was cancelled, he took to making grinders for the Rancilio company.
        A Rocky grinder is a good quality, solid grinder. Cost is around the $350+ mark. There are cheaper entry level options out there (Iberital and Sunbeam) and a host of more expensive choices too.

Comment

Geez - are ANY of us meant to be working? I know I am!

Comment

Better luck next time Thundergod! But it was for a good cause; "a picture tells a thousand words" so goodness knows how long it would have taken otherwise! I know I refreshed the reply page a few times to check if someone else had beaten me to it. Also, I wrote my 1st draft reply, posted it, then went back to tidy the wording up! So if Id done the edit, review, post I probably would have come in well after you! Hehe sneaky sneaky!

Comment

This IS working - or at least the facilitation of working - working towards working works out to be working if worded right!

Comment

Thanks guys.
                The grinder will be sitting next to the board, Spike (my Gaggia) is sitting on the board because it I was having difficulties getting my milk jug under the steaming wand without making a mess. Lifting it up enables me to get the steaming wand out from the milk faster.

Am going into the shop thursday to checkout the grinder. Fortunately they have layby.

Comment

Quick update. As$300 was my budget - and I was able to get a layby.

I decided to go with the Gaggia MDF. It wasnt overly huge and not as small as the others he had either, a saeco and something else that was about $450 that was beyond my budget. I am amazed OG has let me spend this amount. All going well, I shall have it just in time for christmas.

It will have to do until I get upgraditis and a full time job again.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1163393754/0#8 date=1163718522
                    I am amazed OG has let me spend this amount.
                    LOL ;D ..... Maybe OG is starting to appreciate your skills as a Barista :P,

Mal.

Comment

He does acknowledge that I make the better coffee (though I think this is more so I will make it so he doesnt have to).

Next on my list is a Pullman Tamper as the cheap plastic one annoys me. Got to have the readys for that though.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1163393754/0#10 date=1163818023
                        Next on my list is a Pullman Tamper as the cheap plastic one annoys me. Got to have the readys for that though.
                        Yep, its worth it though Cindy.... makes a world of difference compared to the crumby plastic ones and are considerably better than the mass produced s/s or aluminium ones. Youll love it once youve got it in your hot little hands ,

Mal.

Comment

Okay here is my coffe bench with the grinder now that I have it.

Comment

SUperb [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

Mal.

Comment

The machine is on, the portafilter isnt in? just on to make the photo more attractive?
                              You should know better ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X