Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finer and finer - where does it stop?

Hi All,

Have been off the board for a while but now back on deck with a query regarding Sunbeam EM0480 (paired with the EM6900).

Problem is simple - I have to use grind setting 4 or less to get the EM6900 to pull a shot in the "black" and with proper texture, flow rate, etc.

I started with grind setting 8 and that was pretty darn good but now I need to go finer and finer.

Yep, I cleaned the grinder out really well. Yep, I tested to make sure the grind settings do as they should, i.e. setting 1 being powder and 24 being chunks.

Either my EM6900 has been using steroids without telling me and simply blasts through anything I give it, or the gauge is way off.

As far as taste is concerned, yep, it needs setting 4 so the gauge would *seem* to be OK. The previously used setting 8 gives me lolly water.

I have recently completed the Sunbeam appreciation course and the equipment there needed grind setting 16 to 18 or the machines went into the RED !

Am totally stumped and hope things dont keep changing otherwise to get the right pour I will be using the turkish setting and well lets just say I would rather not...

Any suggestions?

DrT

Re: finer and finer - where does it stop?

DrT,

Check this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1155858977/11#11

It discusses modding the grinder to overcome the issue of the grind setting gradually decreasing towards zero. I think it is to do with some wear happening.

Matt

Comment

If it is still in waranty just get them to replace it. Thats what I did

Comment

Agree.
        Option 1: Replacement under Warranty (they have to be told whats happening).
        Option 2.: Do the Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1165192751/0#3 date=1165213484
          Agree.
          Option 1: Replacement under Warranty (they have to be told whats happening).
          Option 2.: Do the Mod
          Id be going with Option 1..... unless it hurts Sunbeam (constant stream of returned grinders) the problem wont get fixed!

Once the warranty has finished - if it is still a problem - then Option 2 is the go.

To modify something just a short time after purchase so that it meets the spec is not on - and those who do that are letting the manufacturer off the hook - the manufacturer just has to wait it out until everyone fixes the item themselves rather than them fixing the design problem at source.

Have we, as consumers, become so conditioned by purchasing faulty goods that we no longer demand that they be made fit for the purpose for which they were sold? - that is our legal right- why have we stopped demanding it????? :-/

Comment

Yeah send it back for sure. If they are making a product to suit espresso it should do the job without end user modification.

I can understand why people do the mod at the same time so that they can have a grinder on their bench rather than sending it back all the time but at the end of the day it is up to the manufacturer to step up to the plate and ensure their product is at the level it should be, otherwise they should not be selling it. Which obviously goes for all manufacturers.

Comment

I forgot to mention that after you replace it, you get another 12months warranty, just incase you didnt know.

Comment

I returned my Sunbeam grinder and got a replacement. Ive gone from a grind of 1 on the original to a grind of 29, on a scale of 1-28.... Also on the new grinder the auto button doesnt work. It will see me through Christmas, once the bills are paid Ill be returning it for a refund and looking at a serious upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee Kid link=1165192751/0#6 date=1165218470
                  I forgot to mention that after you replace it, you get another 12months warranty, just incase you didnt know.
                  Maybe it is not such a bad thing afterall. You may get a lifetime warranty if it keeps failing in the 12 month period

Is a shame that it is such a widespread fault but it is good that they are willing to back their product. Hopefully they will sort it out and their manufacturing will be as good as their warranty.

Comment

I did mean that Option 2 should only be used if the unit was now outside warranty.

As for them continually replacing units, I suppose thats possible as long as the customer service/marketing department has more budget than the development department.

Another example of poorly managed project work.

Comment

Some very experienced words there TG, once an auditor always an auditor hey?

Comment

I wonder what happens to those (who dont know about CS) and go to a normal retail store and buy an espresso machine and one of these grinders.... And dont forget, most buyers dont know any better than to purchase from such a store.

They would have zero - or next to it - in the way of tuition or support, and so would have an uphill battle making an espresso if everything was working as it should. We all know how hard it can be to get your technique "just right"....

Then the grinder does its slowly deteriorating thing...... what are they going to do? After much fiddling and pulling of hair the machine and grinder will probably be consigned to the back of the cupboard in frustration.

Another potential coffee lover lost to our community.

Comment

Harvey Norman and Myer among others are responsbile for a great and serious offence against good coffee in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1165192751/0#11 date=1165228202
                            I wonder what happens to those (who dont know about CS) and go to a normal retail store and buy an espresso machine and one of these grinders.... And dont forget, most buyers dont know any better than to purchase from such a store.

(
                            Hopefully, if theyve bought a Sunbeam (and maybe a Breville now?) they do the free course and learn how to use the thing. And to Sunbeams credit, said course isnt designed just for the high end machines in their range - its everything from about $150 up. I found it really useful - I didnt actually learn much that I hadnt read about here, but it is very helpful to actually see someone doing all this stuff first hand, rather than just reading about it and hoping that youre doing it the right way yourself. And 9 out of the 10 people in the course I did hadnt heard of Coffeesnobs or any such forum, so for them it was a real eye opener, and they come away knowing how to froth milk, and that a grinder and fresh coffee is important (the EM0480, of course...), as well as a list of local roasters (surprisingly, not just where to get Paul Bassetts beans). So, while the quality control may still be sadly lacking (I havent had any issues yet, touch wood), at least they are making an attempt to show people how to make coffee...

[Is this such a good strategy though...its just going to make them want to upgrade ]

Comment

Originally posted by DrT link=1165192751/0#0 date=1165192750
                              Am totally stumped and hope things dont keep changing otherwise to get the right pour I will be using the turkish setting and well lets just say I would rather not...
                              Gday Dr.T,

As a matter of interest, how are the pucks after a shot is pulled and knocked out? Nice and dry and cohesive, or a bit soft and mushy? If its the latter, maybe youre not dosing quite enough into the PF basket. If you do a search for info on tamping and dosing by 2mcm, he has posted a really detailed method for getting as much coffee into the basket as possible. This results in grinding slightly coarser but might be worth a try just to prove whether the grinder is A-OK or not.

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X