Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDF modifications

Hi everyone

For the last few weeks Ive been asking a lot of questions on this forums and I got great response. So as a thank you I thought I would write something instead of posting questions. This is my little contribution to this forum

When I got my new MDF grinder a few things popped into my head:

1. not stepless
    2. it has a doser
    3. the coffee dispenser shifts coffee to the left
    4. the hole from where the coffee exits is quite large
    5. the fork is too close to the doser
    6. the fork is uncomfortable

I tried using it straight from the box, but because 5. and 6. my whole counter was covered in coffee and it was really annoying to work with the grinder. First thought: that fork has to go. A closer inspection showed that the fork is a part of the bottom cover and I will have to unscrew 4 TORX T10 screws to get it off. Unfortunatelly I didnt have a T10 torx screwdriver at home at that time so I used a different method. I build a small PVC extension for the coffee output hole and placed the grinder on a piece of wood to fit the PF under the fork (the extension ended at the same level as the fork lower ridge). The extension was constructed in such a way that it was narrower at the bottom, which made dispensing coffee easier and accurate.

Today I bought a TORX T10 screwdriver and managed to unscrew the bottom cover with the fork. It looks like this:

I used 1mm PVC (soft plastic sheets) to recreate the cover but without the fork. It was pretty easy and after around 2hours I had two pieces ready, front cover (it goes where the fork was) and the bottom cover, with some holes for ventilation and stuff like that. Heres how it looks:

So now I dont have to worry about points 5. and 6. from the list above

Yesterday I also did a stepless "teflon" mod and I have to say it works great and is easy to do. Just follow all the instructions on this page:

http://coffeeaspirations.blogspot.com/2006/07/barista-guild-of-america-and-how-to.html

And yes you will be surprised how much coffee stays inside Just remember to put enough teflon tape to make the screwing of the upper burr set really hard. That way you will make sure it wont move during the grind. Point 1. from the list is no longer a problem.

So Im left with:

2. it has a doser
    3. the coffee dispenser shifts coffee to the left
    4. the hole from where the coffee exits is quite large

Point 2. is not so bad, as pulling the doser lever can help to break clumps. Point 3. is caused by the movement of the doser paddles, but it can be solved, look below. Point nr 4. is a bit annoying as a lot of coffee can get on your counter. I will try to make a small narrowing to make the hole smaller, which should also make the left coffee shift dissapear.

So anyone has any cool MDF modifications to share? I hope this thread is of some help.

Cheers,
    dsc.

Re: MDF modifications

Great stuff Tom [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Definitely the work of a true coffee snob 8-) and Im sure other MDF owners will soon start firing questions your way

Cheers,
    Mal.

Comment

From what youve done, youre halfway there! Three out of six is a good improvement. Well done DSC.

Im tempted to have a long look at my Iberitals stepless adjustment. One day. Maybe. Stepless can often mean endless, requiring several, several turns to make a difference.

-Robusto

Comment

Hey Tom,

The Brasilia Competition grinder that I love so much at work just has a locking screw to keep the burrs in place. Perhaps that would be a better alternative than teflon tape? I cant imagine TT holding up to all that much adjustment ...

Cheers,

Luca

PS. If the steps are irritating you, then I dare say youre on the right track!

Comment

Ola

Thanks for the replies

luca: yeah a screw would be great, but this is a brand new machine and I plan to sell it sometime, so I wouldnt want to make holes in the cover

So today I realised that because the fork is gone I can finally unscrew that stupid doser. And so I did After taking that damn thing out I started thinking is it possible to make this machine doserless. Well it is possible, but I would have to do one of two things:

- cut out a good portion of the plastic cover and attach a small tube to the hole from where the coffee falls into the doser. As I said I maybe selling it in a few months, so its a no

- add a long tube which would connect the outlet of the grinder with the hole below the doser. It could be too long and coffee might get stuck easily, plus it would probably clump a lot, so again its a no

I guess I have to live with the doser Ive read on HB in the Weiss distribution technique article that the author removed the doser and was left with a clump monster so I better leave that doser, it does a good job breaking clumps when you pull the handle quite fast.

So i had the doser out and decided to get that output hole smaller. I took some styrofoam, some tape and after an hour or so I had this:

A nice smaller hole, which makes dosing easier and eliminates that left shifting problem. So I guess points 3 and 4 from my list are gone and I can live with the doser.

I might add a small copper tube inside that doser hole, but I would have to make a smooth transition from a rectangular shape of the original hole to the round shape of the tube and that can be tricky, so Im leaving as it is for now.

Happy modding

Cheers,
          dsc.

Comment

Ola

I decided to refresh this topic, as I did another mod

Again it was all about changing the cover, front cover this time. The reason for this was too much coffee getting left inside of the grinder after each grind. I guess around 5g were left each time and the inside outlet, directly from the burrs, got cloged with coffee, so when grinding coffee again, old coffee was being dosed instead of the fresh one:|
            I dont want to waste any coffee (I could use more coffee for each grind, let the first 5-7 seconds into trash and use the rest) so I decided to change the upper cover which is a one piece part into a two piece part. One part is screwed on like the old cover was, but the part which covered the inside outlet is now removable, so I can clean the outlet each time I grind At first I wanted to just leave the upper part, but when grinding, the coffee coming from the outlet moved really fast and I was left with coffee grounds almost all over the doser. So I decided to add a small screen which is removable. Here are the photos:

- everything together:

- the screen is removed:

- the screen on its own:

I also took a small plastic spoon and cut it down a bit to fit the inside outlet and its realy easy to clean now

Happy modding!,
            Cheers,
            dsc.

Comment

Something I do to stop that coffee left behind issue is to run the grinder a little after the last of the beans have gone through the burrs and give a few more flicks of the doser. This seems to clear them all out.

Comment

Ola

Theres a simple way to check if you cleared all of the old coffee. If you throw some fresh coffee into the upper container, hit the start button and see that coffee is almost imidiatelly coming into the doser it means the inner outlet is still full of old coffee. If you start grinding and almost nothing comes out for the first few seconds it means the outlet was clean before the grind. This happens because before the coffee starts to drop into the doser the grinder needs to clog the inner outlet with coffee and after that if you grind more it will push out the coffee that is already in the outlet. Im not sure if it makes any sense but thats how it works.

Lucinda after the grind and your cleaning procedure try to unscrew the upper cover and see how much coffee is left inside. It never worked for me to keep the grinder running and flick the lever a few times.

Cheers,
                dsc.

Comment

Will do that, thanks.

Comment

Hello everyone

For those with a stepless MDF:

I made a pdf file which contains a drawing for the numbering plate which indications of 0.2 steps as lines like a ruler. It has to be printed out on DIN A4 format (297*210) (make sure your printer doesnt automatically resize it!), cut out and fits exactly on the numbering plate. I could also upload it in a different format (US letter..) if anyone needs it. It can be found at the bottom of the following page:

http://www.eggdisk.com/files/277867_..._numbering.pdf

I use it when switching between different coffee beans to be able to reproduce the grind setting exactly as I had it last time.

greets

marco

Comment

Very nice piece of work.

Comment

I have also found that if I tilt the grinder forward a bit this also dislodges those last few grinds into the hopper. Saves on pulling the grinder apart too.

Comment

Can you easily remove the hopper?
                          If so you can "blow" the extra out.
                          Or if the hopper is the right size, a "click-clack" lid does wonders.

Comment

Ola

welone: at first I didnt think I would need it, but finally I decided to print it and use it so thanks!

lucinda: so I guess that you havent removed the upper cover to check the inner outlet? You would be surprised how much coffee stays in there, even after all the tilting, whacking and stuff
                            You only need to remove two rubber plugs from the screw canals inside the hopper, unscrew it, remove the hopper, unscrew the two big screws on top of the top cover and its done you can check out the left overs. I can make some pictures if you want, to see how it looks inside.

Cheers,
                            dsc.

EDIT: here are some pics of the inside:

- one rubber plug is already out, you can see the screw underneath

- hopper taken off, you have to unscrew those two bolts to remove the plastic scale piece

- a look from the front

- a closer look at the inside outlet, which is usually cloged, but here its quite clean

- and after I added the printed out scale

Hope it helps.

Comment

Nice work there Tom 8-),

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X