Downgrade/upgrade to Mazzer Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downgrade/upgrade to Mazzer Mini

Okay, so I went to Veneziano today after a hard days barista-ing to pick up my brand spanking new Mazzer Mini...or should I say rebadged by CMA to Rio Mini :-/ Before this I owned a La Cimbali Cadet (rock solid commercial grinder)....and is now owned by another snobs member. This grinder can be viewed as both an upgrade and a downgrade.

Got to meet Dave Makin today who was very welcoming. Had an espresso and an excellent flat white. Was shown around the roastery by Peter. Huge 60kg roaster, which they intend to upgrade to something like double that capacity. I also got to pull a couple of shots on the FB80...what a beautiful piece of art....for $16k it should be. Perfect shots without any blonding for the duration of the pour and super silent! 8-) Luca, youre a lucky b*stard to be able to work on this thing! Now to convince my cafe to get one... :

Okay so on with the mini review of the Mazzer Mini. I dialed it in with only 2 shots from a complimentary bag of Veneziano Estate. It was very easy to dial it in...working with a Mazzer everyday helps. As an aside...the Veneziano estate is one of the oiliest beans I have ever seen!

Heres a quick pros and con list that I can think of from the top of my head.

Pros:
    * Cosmetic appeal. Sexier than the Cimbali by miles.
    * Nice and small compared to Cimbali Cadet.
    * Quieter than the Cimbali.
    * Not as prone to the "left throw" as the Super Jolly.
    * Grind tray seems to catch most renegade grinds.

Cons:
    * Chute isnt effective. Doesnt push all the grinds out. Rather the left side of the chute empties but the grinds to the right of the chute seem to stay stuck unless prodded at.
    * Coffee stays stuck on the hopper vanes. The hopper needs to be knocked to get the beans unstuck from the vanes.
    * Doser doesnt completely clean out like the Cimbali
    * About 2 grams of coffee stays stuck in the chute (needs to be vacuumed out - or make sure you discard the first part of your grind next time you use it)
    * VERY VERY slow to grind coffee compared to the Cimbali or any other commercial machine that I am used to. But faster than the Sunbeam EM0480. Good enough for home use.
    * The hopper gate seems to get jammed when trying to open or close it. Guess I will just have to wear it down
    * I am annoyed at all the scuff marks and scratches on the new machine.
    * Anal, but it has a very plastic looking Rio badge. $299 for a Mazzer badge..... Sorta like a Ferarri badge hey....

As a home barista this machine is beautiful. As a professional barista, the machine is slow...too slow. However the beautiful thing about the Mazzer, as you all know, is that it has "micrometrical" adjustments...only limited by your skill at adjusting. Side by side with the Cimbali, the Cimbali wins hands down in adjusting for espresso due to its infinite adjustment mechanism driven by a worm gear.

Now the cons clearly outweigh the pros here....but these points are just off the top of my head and Im sure I will find more things to talk about as time goes on. Its as simple as this....am I happy about about the purchase? Absolutely...great price from great people.

Re: Downgrade/upgrade to Mazzer Mini

hi wushoes,

got my mini yesterday too. mustve just missed each other at Veneziano

the mazzer is really nice and i feel really spoilt to have it on my bench - not that ive abandoned my em0480 grinder. however, somehow i have a sentimental attachment to it. call it my first love if you will ;D ah well, its been given over to humble plunger duties at my office desk (or perhaps decaf duty when guests come over hmm).

as for the pros and cons, youve covered most of the ones i had. going from the em0480 (doserless) to the mini, the most obvious change ive had to deal with is the doser. however, the electrical tape mod does wonders for sweeping the grinds. still not used to actually doing the dosing but im sure practice will solve that

the other thing i noticed with it is the adjustment - its stiff as. i guess itll loosen up with time. finding it kinda weird that there are no clicks when adjusting the grind. its a good thing i guess :P

i generall dont mind the speed of the grinding. especially since miss silvia likes to take her time to settle in temperature.

an additional thing i like about it is the build quality. sure it throws to the left a bit, there are still clumps out of the doser (not statically charged tho), but for all its little idiosyncracies, its elegant and i can tell its built solid like a tank (after all i had to carry it in!). now miss silvia has a new companion here they are on my bench.

a big thanks to veneziano for this offer

Comment

Hey there daily bean.

Clumping is not so much of an issue with mazzer compared to other grinders where you need to break in the burrs a bit to stop it. The doser does a good job of removing most clumps and it doesnt affect the pour noticeably.

I must admit it is a schmick machine to have at home. I love the rhythmic thwack thwack that I do at work...now I can do it at home!

As for the adjustment, it may seem tight...but it will always be like that...but youll get used to it and youll be doing adjustments of less than 1mm in no time.

Comment

Just got my new Mazzer from the friendly TNT man. Wushoes, you commented on scuff marks on your grinder? All I found was a bunch of fingerprints on the doser, a sign that the grinder had been tested.

Still dialling it in, but I can see the difference already. Funny how many em0480 owners have jumped at this grinder deal.

I have a feeling I wont be sleeping tonight - too much fun to be had and coffee to drink.....

Comment

im in the same boat.... upgraded the 0480 to this slick new piece of kit.... last one for a while, with the brewtus and now the mazzer, it should keep me busy for a while.
          the sunbeam is now the decaf grinder...

initial thoughts:

much quieter than the sunbeam. i think this is to do with the quality of build, less parts to rattle around.
          a bit slower than the sunbeam, but this could be more to do with getting used to the doser.

have to look at doing the tape mod, where is the best place to look?

cheers.

Comment

Hi guys,

Glad to hear that youre all grinding and dosing away! Weve got a few of these mazzers headed out now, so I might type up a basic dialling in guide for people ... although all of you guys seem to know what youre on about.

Wushoes, your comments brought a smile of recognition to me. 64mm seems to be the de facto standard for shop grinders and is certainly faster than the 58mm mini burrs. If you wanted to match your juniors speed, you would have had to have gone with a super jolly. That said, I think that its fair to say that the mini is at the faster end of the domestic grinder pack. What was really funny was that one of the competition baristi that I was talking to yesterday is planning on buying a robur for home for that five second grind time! Speaking of which, I know that we discussed the whole mini vs cimbali thing, but I dont think that I ever asked you why you were so keen on getting a mini instead. Was it just size? (Although Im hardly one to talk - I had a cimbali for a little bit, too!)

Teemus blog has the best explanation of the tape mod and the cup mod.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Hey Luca,

Yeah, size and aesthetics mainly.... All moot as they both are beautiful grinders to work with. Both are top notch grinders and both have many pros and cons when tested side by side....mainly pros :P

But at the end of the day....how could I resist buying a Mazzer for the price it was going for? Now to find a special deal on an Iberital Lanna/Expobar Minore II/ECM Giotto Premium/Maver Makin espresso in half a year when I get a big fat cheque from the ATO.

Id like to amend the 2 shots to dial in....it was more like 2 shots to get it in an almost perfect setting for the Sunbeam....only took 1 more shot to get it as good as I think I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1169720281/0#5 date=1170042392
                Hi guys,

Glad to hear that youre all grinding and dosing away! Weve got a few of these mazzers headed out now, so I might type up a basic dialling in guide for people ...
                I would love one of these if you get the time Luca!

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1169720281/0#0 date=1169720279
                * I am annoyed at all the scuff marks and scratches on the new machine.
                Mine had some scratches on the PF holder and some marks (someone must have had really long and strong fingernails) on the rubber handle of the doser lever. But it doesnt worry me that much as it is bound to get a few more marks on it as time goes on. Good to know it has been tested.

Comment

Hi Luca,
                  Our PMs seem to be going astray. Ive PMd you three times now and we still dont seem to be hooking up. Id still like a Mazzer if possible, please?

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by brianw link=1169720281/0#8 date=1170152319
                    Hi Luca,
                    Our PMs seem to be going astray. Ive PMd you three times now and we still dont seem to be hooking up. Id still like a Mazzer if possible, please?

Brian
                    Hi Brian,

Im sorry, I have only gottent the PM sent on the 28th, when I was in the middle of my evidence law exam. I dropped by work quickly today, but wasnt able to grab the computer. Hopefully Ill get it sorted out tomorrow.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Ive done the sweep mod on the mini. Its dead simple, but only problem is the tape falls off after a while, so Ill have to do the mod again. Youll also notice that the mini chucks all the grounds to the left when you dose. The PF holder should be offset to accomodate this, or simply hold the PF to the left side of the holder.

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1169720281/0#10 date=1170204935
                        Ive done the sweep mod on the mini.  Its dead simple, but only problem is the tape falls off after a while, so Ill have to do the mod again.  Youll also notice that the mini chucks all the grounds to the left when you dose.  The PF holder should be offset to accomodate this, or simply hold the PF to the left side of the holder.
                        More violence nunu!....Get in there and treat it like the cafe grinder it is! If youre tentative, its more likely to throw left...

2mcm

Comment

The harder i dose, the more it goes left. The grinder moves as well. I need sucker feet to keep it on the bench :P

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1169720281/0#12 date=1170208660
                            The harder i dose, the more it goes left.  The grinder moves as well.  I need sucker feet to keep it on the bench :P
                            All comes down to training :P

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1169720281/0#12 date=1170208660
                              The harder i dose, the more it goes left.  The grinder moves as well.  I need sucker feet to keep it on the bench :P
                              Ive noticed that mini moves around on my bench too...maybe we need a sticky feet mod!

Comment

Working...
                              X