Can you regrind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you regrind?

A dumb question but .... If my grind is too coarse can I put it back in the grinder and regrind at a a finer level?

I have an Iberital Challenge

Re: Can you regrind?

Originally posted by barri link=1169774749/0#0 date=1169774749
    A dumb question but .... If my grind is too coarse can I put it back in the grinder and regrind at a a finer level?

I have an Iberital Challenge
    STEP AWAY FROM THE GRINDER Barri- The answer is a comprehensive NO unless you want to choke everything up and risk permanent damage/death of your grinder due to overload...Dont go there!

2mcm

Comment

Ive run as far away from my grinder as possible ;D

Thanks 2MCM. I thought that might be the case.

Comment

I agree with the risk of blockage when using typical burr grinders, but I have recently turned a packet of coarse store-ground into a packet of fine coffee using an old blade type coffee grinder that was to be tossed out along with old coffee. Id noticed a buildup of vacuum-packed coffee in the pantry left over from teatotaling dinner guests and Xmas hampers, and thought itd be a shame to waste it if it was half good. It came out surprisingly well considering both the source and the treatment - I may hang onto the old chopper afterall 8-)

Comment

I tried it on a manual grinder, the Trespade conical burr grinder, and it was turgid.

I had some store-bought ground coffee, obviously not fine enough for a coffee machine.

I had to keep pressing down with my fingers on the heap inside the champer, almost physically trying to push it through, because the burrs would not pull it, re-grind it, and spit it out.

A lot of effort for little result.

Havent tried it on the Iberital (um, ground finger flesh would probably give the coffee an off-taste)

But as 2mcm says, it is bound to just sit there and choke the burrs. Er, the ground coffee, that is, not the fingers. Or perhaps both.

-Robusto

Comment

Working...
          X