Manual Coffee Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Coffee Grinder

I am saving my money up to buy a Sunbeam EM0480, but until then I needed a cheap way of grinding some pre-roasted beans that I have in the cupboard and I was running out of the preground stuff fast. I was out shopping today not really looking for a grinder and I came across the manual grinder and canister combo. I know they are probably only good for plunger coffee. But in desperation I bought one knowing that I would run out of the pregound coffee soon and those lovely whole beans in the cupboard were going to go stale if not already.

I had to put the setting on the grinder to pretty much finest possible setting in order to get a reasonable grind for the espresso machine. I am not fine tuned in the tasting department yet but I could taste the difference when I pulled a shot. (Altough saying this the beans I have are probably already stale).

Anyway for $9.99 I havent wasted a lot of money and I think it will get me by until I get my Sunbeam grinder.

Re: Manual Coffee Grinder

My then 14 yo son bought me one of those for Mothers Day last year - hed heard me say I wanted a "real" grinder, not the blade job I was using at the time. I patiently used it for a while. As time went on it ground more and more coarsely - once I got the Sunbeam I was hoping to use the hand grinder for decaf, but its too coarse for espresso now and Im not mechanically minded enough to work out how to fix it. Im now over the Sunbeam and on to the Mazzer, but my little hand grinder still has its own spot among the coffee paraphernalia. And my son takes credit for starting me on the road to a Mazzer.

Comment

I am trying to source something like that for plunger for my work. I have only seen hand grinders that are around 90 dollars though. It is not something I will use everyday as I only go to the office a few days a week at the most. So cant really justify spending 90 dollars. I might hang to see if I win the 2000member contest first and see what I score there I might as well be optomistic whilst I still can

Comment

My first grinder was a manual one not unlike the one pictured...talk about sore arms!! Tedious is a word that springs to mind...

Have to say that Im spoiled now though since Mini walked thru my door!

Comment

There is something familiar about parts of that grinder. What brand is it, Goodies?

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1170753942/0#4 date=1170879786
            There is something familiar about parts of that grinder. What brand is it, Goodies?

--Robusto
            The brand is Arcosteel

Comment

The funny thing about this type of grinder / canister combos are that they state that the canister is air tight.

I can not see how it would be air tight if the grinder is attached to the top of the cannister.

Comment

Maybe you can get a separate lid for storage after youve finished grinding.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1170753942/0#7 date=1170902092
                  Maybe you can get a separate lid for storage after youve finished grinding.
                  Nope, they arent airtight. Didnt matter to me though - I knew enough to only grind for one cup.

Comment

I have to get myself a proper grinder SOON!!!!! My hands are hurting and my arms are tired. I will hopefully be designing a website for a customer soon, so then I can have some pocket money to buy myself the sunbeam EM0480. I wish I had enough money for a better quality one, but the sunbeam has to beat the manual grind hands down. (or around and around as the grinding goes) so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                    X