Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compak K3 Elite and K3 Touch discussion

Originally posted by beanjuice link=1171437692/0#8 date=1171545190
    When will the perfect home grinder be made?

At around $569 the Compak K3 Touch Grinder - goes damn close.

edit by 2mcm- RRP is $569...not $495

Re: Compak K10 WBC

Id rather get the K3 elite. Aesthetically more pleasing....and the doser will will help disturb any clumping. Dont know how well the dosers on the K3 elites sweep though.....2MCM?

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1171437692/0#12 date=1172043007
      Id rather get the K3 elite. Aesthetically more pleasing....and the doser will will help disturb any clumping. Dont know how well the dosers on the K3 elites sweep though.....2MCM?
      Wushoes- The doser of the K3 is a terrific design which overcomes the shortfalls of the mazzer doser. It sweeps far better and the internal design of all surfaces keeps the vanes much cleaner. Aussie spec is champagne only...

Cons: The built in tamper and the fact the fork makes it harder to actually see the group handle and therefore dose. I could lose the tamper ...Also the auto-cutout flap blocks the chute.

Pros: With a higher fork, much less left throw. I really like the dosing action as well. Adjustment mechanism and overall build quality of the K3E are terrific.

Theyre $630 which I reckon is about $150 less than where they punch. The K3T is $569 and I would have one in preference to a Mazzer mini-e even if the mini-e was $500 cheaper.
      2mcm

Comment

Re: Re: Compak K10 WBC

Interesting thoughts. I really love the hi-polish black paint on the K3E in the picture...shame the Aussie specs are Champagne colour only.

The fork looks sort of like high impact plastic. I love the metal mazzer forks because I can settle the grinds in the basket whilst dosing at the same time by tapping the PF on the fork. Will the K3E fork be able to do this....stand up to the banging?

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1171623577/0#3 date=1172044917
          Interesting thoughts. I really love the hi-polish black paint on the K3E in the picture...shame the Aussie specs are Champagne colour only.

The fork looks sort of like high impact plastic. I love the metal mazzer forks because I can settle the grinds in the basket whilst dosing at the same time by tapping the PF on the fork. Will the K3E fork be able to do this....stand up to the banging?
          Yeppers- no probs although space is tight....Much better to get a good tamping mat. Our barista kits have a ripper- as do Coffeeparts...

Comment

Re: Compak K3 Elite and K3 Touch discussion

Yeah I have a small rubber The Coffees Been branded mat. I actually dont use it for tamping. I dont really see a purpose for them other than to protect a very sturdy PF that might get 1 or 2 scratches. I tamp on the edge of the bench. My tamping mat is more like a tamper pedestal where my tampers sit when not in use.

Comment

Hi guys ...

I have had the K3 Elite for a couple of weeks (thanks Chris) and I have to say I love it. Its been a huge improvement over my Rocky.

The pros/cons are pretty much as 2mcm described ...

Its made a huge difference to my coffees - which were average with the Rocky - I always seemed to be between steps with the Rocky, and it was rare to get a pour longer than 25 secs ....

The K3E has given me a lot more consistency in general with grind, and more often than not I find myself coarsening the grind up rather than the other way around!

Interestingly, since getting this grinder, it has enabled me to see differences in my roasting technique - which Rocky would never expose.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrtle link=1171623577/0#6 date=1172113885
                Interestingly, since getting this grinder, it has enabled me to see differences in my roasting technique - which Rocky would never expose.
                Can you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1171623577/0#7 date=1172154883

Can you elaborate?
                  I think probably what I was trying to say is that upgrading to the K3E has reduced another source of variability in producing the perfect shot.

I just seem to be getting a more consistent grind than I was with the Rocky, and this means I can see differences in shots pulled from the same bean, but roasted to different degrees.

Basically, I am getting a better shot than I was before, and the ratio of great shots, to not so great shots is a lot higher.

Comment

Im also a K3 Elite owner and have mixed feelings, but some of my irks are probably because Im not used to commercial units. Im hoping to take delivery of a Mazzer Mini shortly and be able to do a proper side by side comparison of the units. That will help determine the differences and what is just a matter of education for me!

I wont put up my list of pros and cons until Ive got the Mazzer and can do a proper comparo, along with photos of my recent cleaning efforts!

Greg

Comment

Greg I recently took ownership of a mazzer mini. A very well built unit which gives me a perfect grind with no clumping at all. Big Big improvement in coffee quality from the sunbeam 0480 that i was using prior.

Will be interesting to read your review on the two.

Comment

i also have the sunbeam grinder, for its price tag its ok. i would expect a lot better grind from the mazzer as stated . but then again, we are talking ford vs bmw.

Comment

Im liking mine, but that timer knob of the bottom is a pain, cause you need to move the grinder which will affect the grind adjustment, yeah?

Still havent got it timed to dose a decent amount. Its too little or not enough. I dont want to waste good coffee to get it right. If I use crap beans for adjustment, then I guess that should be close enough. Will get some cheap crap for adjusting.

Comment

Originally posted by 1E393D321133323739255C0 link=1171623577/12#12 date=1243390606
                            If I use crap beans for adjustment, then I guess that should be close enough.
                            No, I dont think that will work. What youll end up doing is programming it for crap beans and when you swap, it will all be different.

Suggest you ignore the programming adjustment, use the manual switch, and dose by volume.

Comment

Im thinking of buying the K3 Touch.

I had a Rocky which was great. I could put in 20gm beans and grind out 20gm almost

I tried a Sunbeam EM0480, but you must fill the hopper for it to grind properly so you waste beans when emptying the hopper.

With the Compak K3 Touch can you just add to the hopper the amount you need to grind? Or is there a waste of beans left in the hopper?

I would like to know before I decide to buy :

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                              X