Re: Grinder Cleaner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Grinder Cleaner.

I used some (40g) a month or so ago, in our Gaggia MDF.

Makes a lot of noise and sends white powder flying all over the place.
    Generally speaking, a lot of fun to watch

More to the point, it seems to have done a good job of cleaning the grinder.
    Will use it again.

And one day will get around to pulling the grinder apart and verifying the above ...

Ive found that using stuff like this is mostly not necessary with the couple of grinders that I have owned.

Have found it to be far easier and a lot less messy to just remove the hopper and the top burr carrier every now and then, and then use a vacuum cleaner to suck all the grinds out from the top. If there are any stubborn grounds, just loosen em up with a toothpick or similar and then vacuum again. Only takes about 10 minutes all told and everything is spotless .

If you have a doserless machine like the Rock, e.g. then its only another couple of minutes to remove the spout and vacuum the discharge chute area. Very quick and very little effort.

Cheers,
    Mal.

Comment

Someone once suggested using rice through the grinder to clean it.

However not realising that when speaking to our well educated cafe owners and operators out there we have to use the "Lowest Common Denominator" principle - it should have been emphasized that the rice should be uncooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Metreo link=1173324531/0#3 date=1173396196
        Someone once suggested using rice through the grinder to clean it.

However not realising that when speaking to our well educated cafe owners and operators out there we have to use the "Lowest Common Denominator" principle - it should have been emphasized that the rice should be uncooked.

DONT DO IT...

The suggesttion was to use par-cooked 2-minute style rice, NOT uncooked rice. Nevertheless, the only thing that goes in my grinders is coffee. I can see it now, damaged grinder with rice bits still resident goes back for warranty repair. Miffed owner unhappy that warranty is refused on grinder not used for the purpose designed. I would definitely reject a claim if I found any evidence whatsoever of rice.

Comment

I remember that thread as well, and the final upshot seemed to be: Dont put rice of any description through your grinder. Cooked, raw or "2-minute", none of them did the job and mostly they created a nasty mess.

Comment

The rice thread never made sense to me anyway.
            I cant conceive how rice could clean a grinder.
            Its not about to soak up anything and if it only replaces left over coffee bits with left over rice bits, whats the point.

As Mal said, its pretty easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner.
            I bought one of those mini hose and attachment kits and it gets into the nooks and crannies pretty well as far as I can tell, because I have yet to take the grinder apart.

Comment

Someone put rice that they cooked for two minutes through didnt they?

Vacuums are the best, coupled with a small stiff brush to get the caked on stuff out.

Comment

September 2004 -
                In the wake of the Asian financial crisis of 1997-98, rice producers in the Philippines have weathered extremely tough times. As a result, they have explored diverse ways of finding new markets for their produce. An increasingly common way to do this is by using rice by-products to make products such as rice paper, rice coffee and rice wine.

Comment

I personally wouldnt put anything but coffee beans through my grinder. The trusty paint brush and vacuum do the job for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1173324531/0#8 date=1173401069
                    September 2004 -
                    In the wake of the Asian financial crisis of 1997-98, rice producers in the Philippines have weathered extremely tough times. As a result, they have explored diverse ways of finding new markets for their produce. An increasingly common way to do this is by using rice by-products to make products such as rice paper, rice coffee and rice wine.
                    We use kitty litter made from rice husks.

Comment

I use the vacuum cleaner method.

Not sure about the residue left over from these things.

Comment

I think the original use of dry rice might have come from a reference on Alan Frews website as a means to clean a caked up grinder. But as has already been said, youre only replacing one compound with another and then having to flush the left-over rice out with more coffee..... makes no real sense and I dont know why Alan would recommend this as an option?

Mal.

Comment

I think you answered your own question. Used to clean burrs if you dont want to take them off that have really old caked on coffee that is rock hard....eg a cafe grinder bought for home use that hasnt been treated well.

That said...when I cleaned the burrs from a cafe grinder a friend had....I needed a screwdriver to get that crap off.

Comment

But would the rice actually shift such aged and difficult deposits as youve described? How difficult is it to remove the hopper from Mazzers et al for a simple clean out with a stiff bristle brush and a vacuum? Cant be that hard surely :-?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1173324531/0#14 date=1173536120
                              But would the rice actually shift such aged and difficult deposits as youve described? How difficult is it to remove the hopper from Mazzers et al for a simple clean out with a stiff bristle brush and a vacuum? Cant be that hard surely :-?

Mal.
                              Dead simple Mal...why even a child could do it ;D...A single screw releases the blade carrier and youre in....

Comment

Working...
                              X