Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder Suggestions?

To all you experts/snobs out there...

I am looking to replace a very crappy burr grinder.  We currently have a Technivorm Mokka Master drip machine which we use during the week and also enjoy French Press and a pot of espresso occasionally.  We looking for an all purpose grinder and I have my eyes on the Rocky Rancillio Doserless.  I am somewhat of a neat freak but think that I need to have a doserless model if I want to make drip coffee (or can you remove the doser and dump the whole contents into the filter holder?) but am a bit afraid of the mess.
    Any and all suggestions welcome.
    Many Thanks.

Re: Grinder Suggestions?

Originally posted by SoupRQT link=1180626907/0#0 date=1180626907
    To all you experts/snobs out there...

I am looking to replace a very crappy burr grinder.  We currently have a Technivorm Mokka Master drip machine which we use during the week and also enjoy French Press and a pot of espresso occasionally.  We looking for an all purpose grinder and I have my eyes on the Rocky Rancillio Doserless.  I am somewhat of a neat freak but think that I need to have a doserless model if I want to make drip coffee (or can you remove the doser and dump the whole contents into the filter holder?) but am a bit afraid of the mess.
    Any and all suggestions welcome.
    Many Thanks.
    Hi Soup,

The rocky doserless will do the job really well. In your situation, remove the group handle rest from the grinder and grind straight into the french press....You will find that you have very little mess whatsoever. We can supply you with a Rocky. That stated, its probably overkill unless youre intending to get an espresso machine some day. A Sunbeam will do the job for you as well...I guess it comes down to the $$$ v quality and longevity issues...

regards

2mcm

Comment

The sunbeam em0450 would be more than suitable for the coffee that you will be producing.

Is about half the price of the rocky as well

Comment

Souprqt

Given you have DRIP, French Press & Mokka-pot you certainly need to go for a STEPPED grinder which will allow you to adjust and return to different grind settings much more easily than a stepless.

The Rocky and the Sunbeam are both stepped.

Personally, having owned a sunbeam, I wouldnt recommend it, sure its cheap, but there are some build quality issues [ie slipping burr] that will effect the quality and consistancy of your coffee.

If you are looking for a longer term acquisition, and may also consider purchasing an espresso machine down the track, the Rocky would be a much better [albeit more expensive] way to go.

For what its worth, the Rocky is a lot quieter than the Sunbeam.

Comment

Howdy hey!
          I use the sunbeam grinder at work everyday.. man is it messy. Heh.. my crappy grinder finally died at home lastnight, so Im wondering what Im going to buy to replace it - even though the sunbeam price is awesome and it DOES do a great job, I prefer something much cleaner, and Im sure that youd freak if you saw how messy it is by the sound of it.. hehe.
          Rolley

Comment

How did it die? What happened to it? How old is it?
            Wondering how much longer mine has to go:P

Comment

HAHA.. Im serious when I said "my crappy grinder" - it was the Sunbeam coffee/spice grinder - you know the little hand held ones, pop the lid on and it smashes your beans to crap, turn the bottom around to wind the cord back in, and voila, theres your grind... it just died of old age and misuse (dropped it a few times over the years)
              Anyway I had it for 4 years.. cuz I use the sunbeam at work I never needed anything better at home - but now that I have nothing at home.. mwahaha ;D Ill "have to" buy something that.. "lasts longer"...!!
              R

Comment

Hi Soup,

Are you in the northern hemisphere? The reason that I ask is that I didnt think that the Technivorms were available in Australia ... and this is an Australian site. On the chance that you are in the USA, the grinders that keep on getting mentioned for non-espresso use are the baratza virtuoso, et al, and the kitchenaid proline. Both of these have a container to catch the ground coffee.

If youre in Australia, the sunbeam EM0450 is probably the go. There are also some delonghi conical burr grinders that might be OK; not sure, thouh; I havent used them.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by reubster link=1180626907/0#3 date=1180682442
                  Given you have DRIP, French Press & Mokka-pot you certainly need to go for a STEPPED grinder which will allow you to adjust and return to different grind settings much more easily than a stepless.
                  Unless you go for major over kill like a Mazzer...you can move quite quickly to different settings....its mainly the worm gear adjustment mechanisms that are a pain and really make those grinders espresso only...eg. La Cimbali, Ascaso etc.

Comment

I have a Rocky for my Silvia but I have heard that it is not necessarily the best choice for coarser grinds such as for French Press.

Comment

There is a Gaggia MDF going cheap in the for sale forum. That should suit you for the drip filter, although it is a doser, it grinds pretty fast and is not very messy. You should be able to put your grinds straight into the filter paper or into a small container and transfer them from there.

Its also small and compact and will not take up too much bench space.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Caffa-nite link=1180626907/0#9 date=1192011390
                        I have a Rocky for my Silvia but I have heard that it is not necessarily the best choice for coarser grinds such as for French Press.
                        Forgive me asking, but where did you hear that nonsense?

Mal.

Comment

With regards to the neat freak in you, I solved that problem quite easily with my Rocky doserless by constructing a small paper funnel that fits just nicely into my PF. Barely a grind wasted and no cleaning up necessary! Im sure you could McGyver up a similar tool for your needs, a piece of paper an some stickytape is all you need....

Comment

Ive been using the Sunbeam with my Silvia and getting good results so far, how long it lasts who knows, Im saving up for a Rocky, hopefully Sunbeam will last until then. It is a messy grinder and grinds build up inside chute and burrs, I take it out the garage and blast it with my air compressor every now and then. Cost me $130 at Good Guys so cant complain about the price. If you are going to buy an espresso machine down the track, get a better grinder, if not Sunbeam should be suffice for your needs!!

Comment

Hi all. I too am looking for a new grinder for my ECM Botticelli.
                              I like the sound of the rocky doserless as I dont have heaps to spend.
                              Anything else I should be looking at in that price bracket - or preferably cheaper?
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X