How to fix those dreaded em0480 problems for good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix those dreaded em0480 problems for good

Short of throwing it in the bin because in its original state it really is sub standard... Remove bean hopper, top housing, top burr 4 screws in next housing remove it being careful not to lose the button for the safety micro switch. Undo the nut 10mm noting that it is a left hand thread so you need to turn it clockwise to undo it, remove bottom burr and shims and 3 part bearing assy, there is a rubber seal sitting on top of the shaft bearing you need to dig it out carefully without destroying it, you will notice from new these grinders have a lot of lateral movement in this shaft therefore resulting in an uneven grind so what we are doing is replacing this soft rubber seal with something a lot more substantial, what I did was machine up a piece of timber which is all I had but some nylon bush material would be excellent, if machined to a snug finish slid it down the shaft into the plastic housing, then you will have eliminated the shaft movement. Reassemble the bottom burr, bearing, shims, micro switch and housing with the four screws. The next stage is to make up a spacer between the top of this housing and the top section I used masking tape in a spirax effect across the top by sticking multiple overlapping strips until completely covered, then carefully cut out the recesses and around the outside of the housing with a stanley knife this is simply done and very effective. The last stage is to replace the top section, you will also notice that the top burr is also sloppy in the top plastic housing I also fixed this by wrapping masking tape around it until snug, the amount of times you go around will depend on how loose yours is... Thats about it... once you replace the bean hopper etc you will need to back your adjustment off quite a bit, you will find that the "clumping" problem will dissappear and you will have to dial in your grind settings as though it was a different machine.

If you are prepared to make these mods to your em0480 you will find it to be quite a good grinder after all, had sunbeam just taken a bit more care in component moulding, casting and machining they would have produced an awesome grinder, overall it has great features but in its raw state is quite ordinary to say the least.

Ray.

Re: How to fix those dreaded em0480 problems for g

Oh, I just saw this detailed set of instructions for modifying the EM0480....I just dont have access to those skills and I wonder if Sunbeam would appreciate/respond to some of these excellent, first hand suggestions from users, for their manufacturing process in future? I am still puzzling over how the 10 machines at the Sunbeam workshop all performed on 10 with a really consistent espresso grind...and this has been noted by other persons on this site, who have also attended the Sunbeam workshops....
    Gail

Comment

Would you by any chance have step by step photos?
      Is there any already made seal that fits in straight away without modifications?
      And what do you mean by
      "The next stage is to make up a spacer between the top of this housing and the top section I used masking tape in a spirax effect across the top by sticking multiple overlapping strips until completely covered, then carefully cut out the recesses and around the outside of the housing with a stanley knife this is simply done and very effective."?

Comment

"I am still puzzling over how the 10 machines at the Sunbeam workshop all performed on 10 with a really consistent espresso grind"

Simple, they just chuck em out and replace em after every session.

Nice post Ray, when I had mine, most of my problems were caused by the loose fit of the upper burr in the plastic carrier.

The lower burr still seemed stable, but then, the grinder was only 3 months old. The Nylon bush/washer suggestion is great solution.

Now, your homework assignment is to work out a mod to decrease the step size.

What about, filing down the existing "humps" that create the steps, then glue in a length of cable tie [saw tooth facing inwards] and then mod the spring loaded pointer to suit.

Comment

I never thought of the zip tie mod to reduce the step size but I tell ya that is a real possibility isnt it? Im going to take a look at that.

Ray.

P.s coffee kid I will try to find the time to pull it down again and take some photos, Im not very good at expressing myself with text, I may also take the opportunity to explore reubsters brain child of the zippie tie.

Comment

Ok coffee kid here it is I have taken some photos of it, I hope it helps...

This should show you how I did the masking tape washer between the housings and then cut it out.

Ray.

Comment

This is the exploded view of components from top to bottom note masking tape around top burr, also note that the amount of tape you use is directly relevant to the amount of play you have in your various components.

Comment

Ahh.. I get you sorta...
                Any pics on the last section and the thing you machined out of timber?
                Sorry...

Comment

This one shows the timber bush inserted into the plastic housing, I didnt try to remove it because it is an interferance fit and subject to cracking through the grain being timber, on the other hand if it was nylon bushing material I probably wouldnt have that problem. Note it is not too tight on the shaft.

Comment

Would there be a particular size that the nylon bushing can be bought from hardware store?
                    Just would love to do this mod just dont have the timber to make it out of and dont know how

Comment

This is a very blurry pic of the removed seal from where I fitted the timber bush, I know I only did the mod last night but I think the machining dimentions were 10.5mm ID and 17.5 OD, but then again being a sunbeam yours could be different to mine. Ha Ha Ha.

Comment

No, I got the sunbeam thats why i wanna do it:P

Comment

Finally one for you Reubster by time I machine out the existing indents for the grind steps I would be better off leaving it stepless and thus an even greater improvement, so having said that while its apart its getting a quick trip to work for an appointment with the dremel tonight... No time like the present is there?

Ray........

Comment

How did you wrap masking tape around the top carrier?
                            I tried it and the top burr wouldnt fit into the holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee Kid link=1183436456/0#11 date=1183462915
                              No, I got the sunbeam thats why i wanna do it:P
                              Sorry mate I was having a dig at sunbeam, if you have a set of "very nears" you could confirm my vaige recollections on the inside and outside diameters of the shaft and plastic housing recess.

Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X