Carimali M3/La Pavoni ZIP cleaning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carimali M3/La Pavoni ZIP cleaning...

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to remove the bottom burr carrier out of this grinder?
    Top burr, hex nut, brass "centrifugal" nut and bottom burr came out relatively easy, but the bottom carrier seems to be stuck fast on the tapered shaft, i presume with coffee oil and grinds... unless i have missed a (threaded) fastning somewhere?
    i am loathe to use WD40.... but if i have to, i have to

thanks, guys...

L

Re: Carimali M3/La Pavoni ZIP cleaning...

Its a bit hard to tell from a photo, but have you tried the 4 allen screws around the threaded burr carrier?

Comment

yes, i did, but they seem to be holding/stabilising the whole "innards" against the housing, not just the burr carrier... i suspect that, if i loosen some screws on the bottom of the unit, the removal of those allen screws allows the housing to be removed from the motor.

i think that the brass carrier, with the two visible "ears" should lift off the tapered shaft so the chamber underneath can be cleaned...?? :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzi link=1184736302/0#2 date=1184737701
        yes, i did, but  they seem to be holding/stabilising the whole "innards" against the housing, not just the burr carrier... i suspect that, if i loosen some screws on the bottom of the unit, the removal of those allen screws allows the housing to be removed from the motor.

i think that the brass carrier, with the two visible "ears" should lift off the tapered shaft so the chamber underneath can be cleaned...?? :-/
        You might have to fully dis-assemble the housing to check if there is a locking screw or nut underneath the burr carrier. If there isnt a locking device, having the unit apart will give you more accesibility and leverage if you have to force the burr carrier off the shaft.
        Good luck with it.

Comment

Gday Lizzi,

From just looking at your photo and your description of what you have already done, I would recommend that you either borrow, buy or manufacture a "Bearing Puller". Most fittings that are attached via a tapered fit as per your grinder burr carrier, will need considerable force to "break" the lock between the shaft and the fitting.

You could make one by getting some 10mm steel plate, cut a circular shape with the same O.D. as the burr carrier, drill an appropriate hole in the centre to accommodate a 10mm fine thread, then three more clearance holes at the same radius as the threaded holes in the burr carrier to accommodate some long bolts of the same thread as the ones in the burr carrier. Buy the necessary bolts, three for the burr carrier and one 10mm fine for the centre and an intermediate 10mm fine hand tap to cut the thread for this bolt. Just need to make sure of the proper lengths required by measuring up your grinder.

Once all this is done, you sit the plate above the grinding chamber with the burr carrier threaded holes aligned with the holes in the plate, screw the three bolts through the plate and into the threaded holes, screw the 10mm bolt down through the centre of the plate until it contacts the end of the motor shaft and take up the slack. Once the slack is taken up, continue to tighten up the centre bolt until enough force is exerted on the burr carrier to pull it loose and off. To make sure that the 10mm bolt centres itself on top of the shaft, just grind a 45 degree chamfer on the end of the bolt thread so that it stays centred in the hole on the end of the shaft.

And thats it. Of course, if you can find a set of pullers that will allow you to do all this then that will be a lot easier and the preferable way to do it. If all else fails though, then the above procedure will get you out of trouble without having to disassemble the entire grinder, after which you still may find yourself having to use a puller to remove the burr carrier. Gently, gently does it though..... the burr carrier is only made of brass and this is a fairly soft alloy and easily damaged.

If I may ask, why do you want to remove the burr carrier Lizzi? Giving the grinder a complete overhaul or something? Anyway, all the best with your challenge,

Mal.

Comment

you techo-CSs are worth every cup of coffee you get!! now, why didnt i think of  bearing puller.... :-[

i bought the unit yesterday in one of the secondhand shops, Mal,  (nah, ofcourse i didnt NEED it...   ) and once i opened it for a general clean, i realised there is a solid cake of old grinds under the bottom burr carrier.
            it is rather yuck smelling, so i was hoping that there would be a reasonaby comfortable way of dis-assembling the carrier to get at the mess.
            i can scrape with satay scewers and small screw drivers until the cows come home, i could hang  the motor unit upside down and syringeing hot Miltons through the grinds evacuation hole until it runs clean, or i can borrow a bearing puller ( acutally, Rob may have one in the tools...)...hmmm...
            its all for fun!

Thanks heaps, Lovey and Mal...

Comment

Where theres a will Lizzi ,

Mal.

Comment

it is raining today, cosy inside... a real day for finnicky stuff!
                decided to cop out of the bearing puller approach, and even the Miltons option; if the easy option doesnt work, i can always go back to "hard" street.
                quietly spent some hours poking and scraping and blowing and from what i can smell ( and what i can see coming out of the machine) i have got most of the crud.
                i ran some beans through it just now and the grinds coming out of it are all uniform in colour, do dark oil-saturated specks.
                i pulled the shot in the very deep double basket.... and managed, (what i believe to be at least) my very first ristretto!!
                55 sec pour of very fine mousetail, about 35 ml, with a yummy fruity flavour i didnt realise this blend had... after drinking it for the last 5 days!!.
                to put this in perspective, this ex-commercial beastie still has its very old burr-set, with a 3-4mm "flat" wear on the outer edge of both burrs .
                Ms Carimali, welcome to the family!! :-*

L

Comment

Well done Lizzi.  Perhaps a rag soaked in coffee cleaner will remove all the superficial oils in areas the beans come into contact.

By the way... do you keep your motorhome in one place, or are you constantly on the move?  Where do you get power for your appliances?

And what about the internet? Mobile? must cost you a fortune.

--Robusto

Comment

Hi Robusto,

i put my answer to your questions here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1184824727/0

it ran a bit off topic, didnt want to get intt trouble... :P
                    cheers
                    L

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzi link=1184736302/0#7 date=1184811138
                      i pulled the shot in the very deep double basket.... and managed, (what i believe to be at least) my very first ristretto!!
                      55 sec pour of very fine mousetail, about 35 ml, with a yummy fruity flavour i didnt realise this blend had... after drinking it for the last 5 days!!.
                      Sounds wonderful Lizzi 8-).... Whats going to happen to young Rocky now that Carri has moved in? :-?

Originally posted by Lizzi link=1184736302/0#7 date=1184811138
                      to put this in perspective, this ex-commercial beastie still has its very old burr-set, with a 3-4mm "flat" wear on the outer edge of both burrs .
                      This is pretty normal Lizzi, these "flat" sections are pre-ground into the burr-plates to prevent the burrs catching on each other should you adjust them so close that they actually touch. No harm can occur this way ,

Mal.

Comment

Hi Lizzi,

Sounds like you got a real bargain there. And as Mal said, dont worry about the flats on the outer edge of the burrs.... just have a look at the edges along the grinding surface and as long as they arent blunt you probably wont need to replace the burrs for quite a while.

Check especially the edges (more like points) on the inner edge where they first contact the beans (and drag them into the burrs). This seems to be the first area which suffers wear and they become rounded and dont attack the beans as enthusiastically as they should. :

Comment

will do, JB...

L

Comment

young Rocky will stay put, Mal.. you may remember a post a few days ago where i considered buying a hand grinder for my decaf?
                            welllll, : now i will have to make the choice on which one is going to do what...

to be honest with you, the line-up on the side board looks pretty substantial, but as i explained when i came home, "its for in the house, later on, darling..."

i havent added up the weight of all this coffee stuff, but with the Bott, Rocky and Carimali plus the greens under the bed... ouch!
                            please dont tell Rob.... :-[

L

Comment

my bad... :-[... thought the flat area was bigger than usual... it aint :
                              pulled out the burrs again and had a closer look, no damage, inside pointy bits not super pointy, but not round either.
                              shell do for the time being

anyone got a spare Carimali M3/pavoni ZIP/Obel Bregant hopper lying around? or knows of one? or knows of an easy to make jury-rigged/ make-shift one?

L

Comment

Working...
                              X