Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder upgrade time!

Wooooo Hooooo ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well, (on that place we wont mention).... Ive just bought myself a grinder upgrade....

Looks pretty much like my present La Cimbali Jnr..... but is belt driven (at 380 rpm ) and has both conical and flat burrs....

Its the one David Schomer designed.....

So a new toy to play with in seeking that coffee nirvana! For those who want a good grinder Ill be looking for a new home for my La Cimbali Jnr after Ive done a full refurb on the new acquisition....

Now waiting, waiting for the delivery!!!

Re: Grinder upgrade time!

What what what is the grinder called?

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee Kid link=1195112137/0#1 date=1195114940
      What what what is the grinder called?
      Its a DRM.... which is now part of La Cimbali....

They made the La Cimbali Jnr and Cadet..... which both have DRM burrs (just normal flat ones) and this "special" which has conical and flat burrs......

But rather expensive for a second hand.... well pre loved grinder...

However its a pretty unique piece of kit - and what price for a coffee passion

Comment

I had a quick look and see quite a few identical listings.
        I was worried at first but recognise the seller.
        Same bloke I got my naked PF from.
        Nice fellow, I got a tour of his roastery when I picked up the PF.
        He has a HUGE roaster.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Congratulations on the new toy, JavaB. Sounds intgriguing -belt driver, low speed for cool grinds, and BOTH types of burrs? Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1195112137/0#4 date=1195125395
            Congratulations on the new toy, JavaB. Sounds intgriguing -belt driver, low speed for cool grinds, and BOTH types of burrs? Keep us posted.
            Yep.... ultra cool grinds..... and the conical burrs reduce the beans to uniform sized bits and they are then passed through the flat burrs (totally different design to normal flat burrs as they only do the fine grinding) where they are reduced to the correct size.... The quality has been compared favourably to high end conical grinders as far as the quality of grind and taste in the cup goes.... but not as fast (and who needs speed at home :)

Same micrometrical adjustment as the other La Cimbalis..... and a reasonable size as well.... so it looks like it will be my ultimate grinder 8-) 8-)

Comment

Congratulations, JavaB, sounds like a lot of fun.

Comment

Youll have to do a side-by-side cupping comparison with them JB before you part with the Junior... would be very interesting to hear your impressions,

Mal.

Comment

Good stuff JavaB.
                  I spotted that on Ebay and hoped that a CSr would pick it up.
                  Great news!

The other thing I thought about being belt driven might be that it is rock proof?
                  Anything that wont grind (in my head anyway) might just cause the belt to slip and if it didnt then it could with a fairly simple adjustable belt tensioner.

Look forward to seeing / hearing more about your new toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1195112137/0#8 date=1195131240

The other thing I thought about being belt driven might be that it is rock proof?
                    Anything that wont grind (in my head anyway) might just cause the belt to slip and if it didnt then it could with a fairly simple adjustable belt tensioner.
                    Thanks Andy..... I dont think the belt will slip.... like all La Cimbalis..... its built like a tank.... checkout the toothed belt in the picture below :

It also has a 1/2 HP motor with a 4:1 reduction...... I dont think Id want to try and stall that !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1195112137/0#7 date=1195129306
                      Youll have to do a side-by-side cupping comparison with them JB before you part with the Junior... would be very interesting to hear your impressions,

Mal.

Yep, was planning to try that Mal..... mind you I dont know how fine my palate is at tasting the small change Im expecting between the two.... after all the La Cimbali Jnr is a well respected espresso grinder in its own right..... but you dont know until you try!

Comment

Im new to all of this as Im just getting into espresso
                        Any thoughts about purchasing a Gaggia MDF Grinder? Also, any thoughts about La Cimbali Liberty or Microcimbali?

Comment

Well done on your new purchase. Looks like a monster of a grinder. Keep us posted on your refurbishing

Comment

Originally posted by quabbin link=1195112137/0#11 date=1195166038
                            Any thoughts about purchasing a Gaggia MDF Grinder? Also, any thoughts about La Cimbali Liberty or Microcimbali?
                            Hi quabbin and welcome to CoffeeSnobs,

The MDF is a very capable grinder for home use, not quite as good as a rocky in my opinion.... but certainly will grind satisfactorily for espresso.

The La Cimbali machines you mentioned are interesting lever machines which can make a great espresso..... well the first extraction each use....

They use the same water for producing steam as well as extraction..... so it is well above the temperature which will burn the coffee..... however as you use the machine the group is cooler and cools the water down to the correct temperature.... but can only do that a couple of times in succession before it becomes hotter and therefore wont cool the water enough..... and you start getting burning of the coffee grinds......

A great looking machine, very well built but can be a bit tricky to use effectively - especially if just starting out..... as you not only have to get the temperature correct but the pressure during the extraction - which you also control. It is truly a manual machine!

Just starting off.... Id go for something less complicated - like the silvia..... might not look as impressive but FAR easier to use!!

Comment

Originally posted by quabbin link=1195112137/0#11 date=1195166038
                              Gday quabbin,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

This post is really Off Topic and you would be better off starting a new thread of your own in this category for grinders and "Brewing Equipment - Non Machine Specific" for any queries to do with suitable espresso machines. All the best mate and happy hunting....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X