Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macap M4D/M5D Electronic grinder

*******************STOP PRESS*************

THESE BABIES HAVE ARRIVED AND ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE DELIVERY.

First impressions:
    Lovely looking in the usual solid, rounded, standard commercial silver coated livery;
    Standard (M5) hopper supplied, and the shorter M4 hopper option is in stock;
    Nice quiet operation, quick delivery in any case so the machine is not grinding for long;
    The newly designed delivery tube is a corker......we cant get it to "clump";
    Not messy like conventional grinders, probably due to accurate timing / dosing and newly designed delivery tube;
    Extremely accurate digital timing, to the tenth of a second;
    Programmable for:
    Single dose, double dose, continuous "dose", and has
    counter, and language selection for all you cosmopolitan multilingual CSers!.
    One button for programming functions;
    feather light button to activate grinding cycles.

We have been using / testing / programming this grinder for a few days now and it has endeared itself to all our staff and some clients. The initial programming can be a little slow (I DIDNT read the instructions.....arrrh), because CS people will want to get the absolutre best relationship between fineness of grind and dose.

Would all the stepped VS stepless adjuster naysayers kindly note:
    The timer is so accurate (tenths of a sec) that we cant see any advantage in this grinder having had the option of micrometric / stepless adjustment. That is, the relationship between the grind as adjusted by the already excellent commercial stepped adjuster,  when balanced with timed drops incremented in tenths of a sec. difference, is so fine as to make in our opinion, the option of stepless adjustment on this grinder superfluous.  

Technophiles will love it.....and everyone else will love it too once theyve seen it in operation.  It is much easier & less messy to operate once set up, than either doser grinders or non programmable doser less grinders.  

Its the ultimate doser less format, and very probably the last grinder you will ever buy.

Regards,
    Attilio
    aka FC, first / original CS site sponsor.

Re: Macap M5 Electronic produce release

Further to what Attilio has said, I have just popped one up on the bench and in 5 minutes of fiddling and programming have a balance with perfect repeatable dose and 5 identical shots. Like Attilio, I didnt read the instructions either- as theyre in Italian! :

IT WORKS!

The steps are no issue whatsoever and truly are the smallest I have ever seen on a stepped grinder. I however have seen some clumping at my grind setting with some commercial coffee. I would expect that will disappear when I throw some fresh stuff at it.

This is so much easier than a Mazzer mini (sorry Luca) that I will be keeping one on the bench at home...I never thought Id say that!

Its a truly brilliant grinder. This without a doubt is the best doserless grinder I have ever used.

Melbourne CSers are welcome to make a time to pop in and have a play and see just how good it is.

If I was a Mazzer mini-e, Id be shaking in my boots....
    Chris

Comment

Re: Macap M5 Electronic product release

Sorry did someone mention a price somewhere? What is the price, delivered to Perth? :

Comment

Re: Macap M5 Electronic produce release

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1201213314/0#1 date=1201214240
        This is so much easier than a Mazzer mini (sorry Luca)
        LOL!  Chris, hopefully a lot of people will act on that, causing the price of the Mini E to plummet so that I can hoard them all for myself!

Cheers,

Luca

PS. Congrats to Cosmorex - I gather that the whole import process is never easy.

Comment

Luca,

many thanks for your kind words, yes the business of importing can be "very interesting" and often nerve racking.

And all please note...congrats should go to the first CSer to purchase this fantastic grinder (M5D).....it happened first thing this morning and it has been successfully mated to a Silvia.

regards,
          Attilio

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee link=1201213314/0#5 date=1201320324
            Luca,

many thanks for your kind words, yes the business of importing can be "very interesting"  and often nerve racking.

And all please note...congrats should go to the first CSer to purchase this fantastic grinder (M5D).....it happened first thing this morning and it has been successfully mated to a Silvia.

regards,
            Attilio

Sorry Attilio, the first CSer to buy a Macap Electronic was Mark S at 3pm yesterday  :P..

Hopefully this is the beginning of a stampede.

CSers, this is your new aspirational home grinder...

Chris

Comment

Looks the business, just hope the electrickery lasts as long as the motor...

Cheers.

Comment

My first post to coffeesnobs. Couldnt resist, given that I was mentioned as the first purchaser of this grinder. Hey, I was the first to buy something. Not at all sure thats a good thing in principle, but Chris review sold me. Chris, BTW, is a very patient individual, and put up with a fair degree of vascillation-via-email on my part.

I dont have it yet, so the other sale perhaps counts as the "first". Anticipated delivery to Tassie is next week, when it will me married to my new Elektra MCAL. My old 1989 Saeco (which will be re-united with my old 1987 Faema Family at my workplace) still works fine, so Im wondering what I will discover with a "proper" grinder. Ill submit my own review to this thread in due course.

At the risk of making others jealous, I announce that this is a "wife-sanctioned" purchase. I had to pick myself up off the floor when the Chief Handbrake agreed that the old one looked daggy next to my shiny new contraption, and that I should get something that I really wanted. So I have done.

Comment

Originally posted by msmithies link=1201213314/0#8 date=1201386198
                  .......snip....

At the risk of making others jealous, I announce that this is a "wife-sanctioned" purchase. I had to pick myself up off the floor when the Chief Handbrake agreed that the old one looked daggy next to my shiny new contraption, and that I should get something that I really wanted. So I have done.

If there is ever rick of divorce....can I have her mobile number please??
                  Handbrakes like that are hard to come by.

Comment

Ive just posted a little review of my new grinder in the "Information/Reviews" thread, where it would seem (to this inexperienced poster) such things should be put. Its a rather formal way of evaluating something, but I understand this is necessary as questions/replies are outside the scope of that thread.

In this less formal thread, let me say how impressed Ive been. Ive been making home espresso since the early eighties, and in that time Ive had several "turning points", where the quality of what I could achieve improved remarkably and permanently. Acquiring this grinder has been one of those points - for the last week Ive achieved a consistency that has eluded me. Consistently mediocre, perhaps, but with "dosage size" out of the way as a variable I am now able to concentrate on grind and tamp to a far greater extent, and learn more as I go about what happens as these and other things change.

I know I could have stuck with my old grinder, and simply weighed out the required amount before it went into the PF (I admit to the shameful habit of saving excess grounds and using them much later), or bought a doser model and weighed beans before grinding, or timed things with a stopwatch, or ... Whatever, this is a great device that well and truly achieves for me exactly what I wanted it to do.

A side benefit - My brother called me a "coffee tosser" for spending ~$1k on a grinder. To prove his point, Ive unnecessarily changed the display language from English to Italian, so now it says "dose singola" and "dose doppia".

Comment

Msmithies - welcome. Sounds great. What grinder did you have before the M5?

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for your welcome. My previous grinder looked identical to a Saeco 2000, only it wasnt because I bought it sometime around 1990. Electronic timer aside, Im sure some of the quality improvements Im getting from the m5d is because Ive upgraded from something basic.

Comment

Yep - it would be a real step up. You cannot go wrong with a good grinder.

Cheers

Comment

Another thumbs up for this grinder.. but then again Im upgrading from a Sunbeam :P

My espressos are so much more consistent now.

Comment

Re: Macap M4D Grinder

Hi all,

I have just received information that more stocks of this fabulous grinder, this time in M4 configuration (short hopper) will arrive at the end of May.

Talk Coffee has on order the following:
                              M4D Silver stepped with a new RRP of $990 (the steps are tiny and by no means an issue)
                              M4D Chrome micrometric RRP $1190

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X