Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breville BCG450...modded...now excellent grinder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BCG450...modded...now excellent grinder!

Hi all,
    First up, let me say thanks for all the various advice on all topics here, it is an awesome resourse and helped in my selection!

Its my first post so be gentle!!

I needed a espresso machine and grinder combo for work. Only four of us and only really gets used 7-10 days a month so not much of a budget.

Obvious choice after reading here was the Breville Ikon and a breville BCG450 grinder.

Ikon $129 and Grinder $59 at the Breville outlet in Ultimo with 12 month warranty. Cool.......
    .....until I got them home!

i couldnt wait to test the Ikon so I ground up some beans in my Imat/lelit/whatever its called this week Combi and stuck them in the Ikon. Hmmm, horrible, bitter and burnt.

Yes, need that non-pressurised basket! Still, not a bad machine once the new basket is in Im thinking.

Next the grinder, in went the beans ( nice and fresh from Alan at coffeeco) and out came a nice assortment of different size grounds...none of them particularly fine....and that was on Turkish.....ie, as fine as it gets.  Aw crap !

Bit of a search on google and I find a blog with a mod for the BCG450 ( Ive attached a PDF of it). Seems theres a small plastic stop which is like a premature stop for the burr clearance. just past it is the real stop. Heaven know why breville put it there but once it is cut off you can turn the hopper a good inch and a half past Turkish. Not that you need to, two more clicks past the "Old" stop and it produces the nicest, most even and fine grind Ive seen from any grinder!

So, for $59 Ive now got an awesome little grinder producing a grind as good as my combi or the sunbeam!

One tip though, to remove the stop just cut carefully with a junior hacksaw or similar and dont remove the ring as the article suggests is an option....mine looked decidedly un-removeable!

Re: Breville BCG450...modded...now excellent grind

at the place i am house sitting now, they have a CG12, breville grinder, reckon this mod would work on it too?

Comment

They say that necessity is the mother of invention, way to go guys......... Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by gmeddy link=1204007644/0#1 date=1204024056
        at the place i am house sitting now, they have a CG12, breville grinder, reckon this mod would work on it too?

Sorry mate, its completely different. The 450 has a conical burr set whereas that one has a blunt flat one....basically it is without hope and should be banished!!!

Comment

I did this to mine tonight and it worked a treat. My only comment would be to make sure the stainless steel case is aligned correctly under the lip of the plastic base,It was close but not quite in place when i put it back together and the container for the grinds was a little tight. I just loosened the screws and popped it into place.

Originally posted by petejo link=1204007644/0#0 date=1204007643
          Bit of a search on google and I find a blog with a mod for the BCG450 ( Ive attached a PDF of it). Seems theres a small plastic stop which is like a premature stop for the burr clearance. just past it is the real stop. Heaven know why breville put it there but once it is cut off you can turn the hopper a good inch and a half past Turkish. Not that you need to, two more clicks past the "Old" stop and it produces the nicest, most even and fine grind Ive seen from any grinder!

Comment

I attempted this mod but got as far as unscrewing the bottom screws - I couldnt find a fine enough screwdriver to move the triangular screws. I only had those jeweller screwdrivers and they have no handle to get a decent purchace on.

Comment

I tried this and it worked... although I just turned it a bit more clockwise than it had been able to go. Has anyone tried turning the hopper all the way clockwise? I dont want to damage the burrs...

Comment

Originally posted by petejo link=1204007644/0#0 date=1204007643
                One tip though, to remove the stop just cut carefully with a junior hacksaw or similar and dont remove the ring as the article suggests is an option....mine looked decidedly un-removeable!
                You can remove the ring.  There are two tabs on either side of the base, you need to work the ring from one side to get it off.  

Then once you can access the stop, use a thumbnail clipper.  It comes right off, no sawing motion.  Use the file to file it down if necessary.

Remember where the ring goes, if you put it on wrong, it wont turn correctly.

Comment

I thought Id try this modification out, since I bought my grinder secondhand so it wasnt super-expensive and had no warranty anyway.

I got the triangular screws off the base by lightly hammering a small jewellers flat-head screwdriver into the slot to get some grip. I needed pliers to turn the screwdriver, but it happened in the end.

So I removed the base and undid the three screws on the inner plastic base. Then the instructions say to remove the knob and button on the side of the machine. I couldnt get these off no matter how I tried. Im totally stuck, because I promise you the casing will not come apart unless theyre removed.

Did anyone else have trouble with these? Is there some trick to removing them?

please help the noob!

thanks
                  Claire

Comment

Yes I did it! It grinds alot finer now and I am grinding on the absolute finest setting. Shots are still a little fast though. The buttons worried me at first as I didnt want to break it but after a little more elbow grease they came off fine. Dont worry, there is nothing to break when pulling on these, I wouldnt use pliers though.
                    So, as I said, alot finer now, too fine I would say but with all my tamping power it still comes through too fast. Oh well.

Comment

Thanks for the PDF.

Will try on the office machine.

Comment

An update on my attempt...

After I posted a month ago saying I had trouble getting the control knobs off, I kept trying. All I managed to do was break the power switch at the bottom of the casing. Sigh. The Breville agents wanted to charge $60 to fix the switch so I politely declined and handed it over to my brother to do what he could. Turns out the knobs were *glued* on! He got them off in the end with a lot more force than I could (or would) apply. He removed the stop, fixed the switch, and reunited me with the grinder at long last.

I wasnt around when the grinder was disassembled, or Id post pics. After the mod I can dial the grind about another centimetre past Turkish, so its not as far as Id hoped, but every little bit counts.

I only got the grinder back last night, and I still need to experiment with the dose, grind, and tamping, but I think the results are better already. So I guess Id recommend this procedure, but only if your controls arent glued on. Or if you have someone whos willing to fix up your messes (love you Pete!)

Comment

I also did this mod a while ago and it improved the grind immensely. Another useful one is taking the top burr out and putting a few layers of electrical tape between the metal burr and the black plastic ring that surrounds it. I found that this fixed the burr in place a bit more firmly as it was quite loose before

Comment

thanx for everyone , just did the same to mine the only thing i did differently is after opening the grinder and located the small plastic i needed to cut i just used a very hot screwdriver (flat) and melted the piece off . its an easy way to do it.

anyway the guide is great and the grind is so fine now!!

Comment

Photos of the Breville BCG450 Grinder modification being performed.

The job took about 20 minutes (however I am a retired technician so probably a bit more used to pulling things apart than most)

I just follwed the instructions found elsewhere on this board, up to point 7, there was no need to further dismantle anything.

I used just 4 tools; a flat bladed jewellers screwdriver for the triangular screws holding the base on, a phillips head screwdriver for the 3 screws holding the cover on, an ordinary serated kitchen knife to saw the lug off, and an emery board to smooth it off a bit.

The instructions at paragraph 2 mention 7 screws, note there are 4 beneath the feet, then after you prise off the base you find 3 down the holes holding the cover. There is no need to remove the 2 triangular ones holding the round power cord cover.

The tools I used (with optional view).

Removing the feet.

Unscrewing the four screws holding the base, then prise off the base.

Removing the three screws that hold the cover.

Slide off the cover.

Taking care not to lose the plastic bit under the start button.

The cover is off.

Heres the bit that has to go.

Cutting it off with a serrated steak knife (dont tell my wife).

Smoothing it with my wifes emery board.

The little blighter after its removal.

The end result is a grind as close as I can feel, to that which my local Coffee shop supplies so I am happy.  

Comment

Working...
                              X