Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Rocky burrs

Hi,

Not too sure whats happened to my Rocky but after removing the top burr to clean the grinder and putting it back together all my shots are running way too fast (usually have to top it in around 10 seconds) with the setting at just 1 above the true zero point. Im using beans less than a week old and Ive tested another grinder in which case the shots are fine on my machine.

Any ideas on what I could have done wrong when cleaning the unit or assembling it again? I didnt drop the burrs or anything else out of the ordinary - just the usual cleaning with a toothbrush and a vacuuming. Anyway, if not, does anyone know where I could purchase new burrs for my Rocky in Melbourne?

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Rancilio Rocky burrs

Originally posted by griffster link=1211481729/0#0 date=1211481729
    Hi,

Not too sure whats happened to my Rocky but after removing the top burr to clean the grinder and putting it back together all my shots are running way too fast (usually have to top it in around 10 seconds) with the setting at just 1 above the true zero point.  Im using beans less than a week old and Ive tested another grinder in which case the shots are fine on my machine.

Any ideas on what I could have done wrong when cleaning the unit or assembling it again?  I didnt drop the burrs or anything else out of the ordinary - just the usual cleaning with a toothbrush and a vacuuming.  Anyway, if not, does anyone know where I could purchase new burrs for my Rocky in Melbourne?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Hi Tim,

The usual reassembly proceedure is to make the burrs touch and then come back as close to 1/4 turn as you can. This point is set to read 10 on your grind scale.

It sounds like things may just be too coarse?

Good luck...

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Ive cleaned the grinder before and my usual procedure is to use a toothbrush to clean the threads and the burrs. Then I use a vacuum to clean up any loose grinds and then I reassemble the unit. I make the burrs touch, then back it off very slightly and make this the 0 point. I then back it off to around 6 and work my way down until I hear the metal parts gently touching to find the true 0 point.

Doesnt work for some reason this time even at just 1 point above the parts touching.

Cheers,
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by griffster link=1211481729/0#2 date=1211515910
        Doesnt work for some reason this time even at just 1 point above the parts touching.
        One of the Burr-Plates hasnt come loose by any chance? Sounds rather weird for this to be happening unless as part of your routine, you remove the burr-plates, clean and replace.... maybe something got trapped between the plate(s) and the base??

Bit of a mystery mate :-?,
        Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1211481729/0#3 date=1211534008
          Originally posted by griffster link=1211481729/0#2 date=1211515910
          One of the Burr-Plates hasnt come loose by any chance? Sounds rather weird for this to be happening unless as part of your routine, you remove the burr-plates, clean and replace.... maybe something got trapped between the plate(s) and the base??

Bit of a mystery mate :-?,
          Mal.
          Nah.... not THAT pedantic to remove everything for a clean! ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the advice Mal. Ill see if removing all the burrs and giving everything a thorough cleaning does the trick. Otherwise Ill see if I can pickup a new set of burrs to see if that fixes it.

Comment

I reckon something has gone amiss in the reassemble. I suggest you take it apart to the same level as last time, give it another clean, and then put it back together again.

When you do that I also suggest you pad the threads of the upper carrier with plumbers teflon tape to eliminate any play. If you feel ambitious Id also put a layer of surgical rubber tubing at the top of the threads to provide a spring that pushes the carrier up evenly all around. It can be tied on to the carrier by threading the tubing with a bit of wire or strong string.

When I did these two mods to my Rocky the grinds were much more even and I could actually taste the improvement in the coffee.

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the assistance. I also thought that I must have reassembled wrongly so Ive tried reassembling it 3 times with no success. The next step I was going to try was to remove both top & bottom burrs fully and clean everything properly before reassembling to see if that makes a difference.

The first time I cleaned the Rocky (a few weeks back) I did the teflon tape mod. I havent heard anything about a mod using surgical rubber tubing and am having trouble picturing it. Would it be possible to get a better description or a picture if you have the time?

Thanks again,
              Tim

Comment

Hi Tim,
                Im not really surprised you havent heard of the surgical rubber mod--I think I invented it! )
                Pics will be hard cause Id have to disassemble Rocky to take them and Im lazy.
                Word pic: When I take the bean hopper off and look at where the top burr carrier screws into the main body, there is a gap of about 1/4 inch between the two (when my grinder is set for espresso).
                This is where I put the strand of surgical tube--it gets squashed between the burr carrier and the body, and sits above the threaded part of the carrier.
                I put some nylon string through the rubber and tied the whole thing in a circle around the carrier.
                Greg

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Greg.... may try that out later when I can get the Rocky working again!

I tried removing the bottom burrs for cleaning but the screws seem to be in pretty tight.... not helped by the fact that I have the wedge the burrs from rotating at the same time. Would you happen to know which way do the screws turn to remove them or an easier way to remove the bottom burr? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by griffster link=1211481729/0#8 date=1211689409
                    Thanks for the explanation Greg.... may try that out later when I can get the Rocky working again!

I tried removing the bottom burrs for cleaning but the screws seem to be in pretty tight.... not helped by the fact that I have the wedge the burrs from rotating at the same time.  Would you happen to know which way do the screws turn to remove them or an easier way to remove the bottom burr?  Thanks.
                    Hi Griffster,

Suggest that you pop a shifting spanner on the centre hex nut and get someone to hold it. Give the screws a (very gentle) tap if required with a hammer and screwdriver and hopefully, they will come loose with a little brute strength (seems they are assembled with battery drills and no thought to the torque setting :)

On reassembly, tight is plenty tight

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee link=1211481729/0#9 date=1211693765
                      Suggest that you pop a shifting spanner on the centre hex nut and get someone to hold it. Give the screws a tap with a hammer and screwdriver and hopefully, they will come loose with a little brute strength
                      under NO circumstances should you use a hammer to give any sort of tap on teh screws holding the burrs in place, particularly the lower burr. The alignment of the burrs is precise, considering that one "click" of the adjustment is about 0.001" even a slight tap can misalign the burr carrier or damage the motor bearings.

The trick is hard to explain, but you need to apply the turning force with a proportional force to keep the burr from turning until the screws come free. No, it isnt easy.

It is important to have a screwdriver that fits the slot of the screw tightly, and one with a knob at the end of the handle helps. The knob is meant to rest in the palm of one hand so that a downward force can be applied t hold the driver in the slot while turning the driver with the other hand.

Comment

If the bottom burr is that tight, then it probably hasnt moved just from being cleaned, and your problem lies elsewhere.

When you are grinding now, how fine does the grind feel? Fine enough, or too coarse? If it is too coarse either the top burr is crooked or the holder is not aligned with the scale to give a true zero.

Are you sure you got the top holder in the right position with regard to the scale? There are 3 screws, giving you two chances to get it wrong. I know I got it wrong once and had to re-assemble.

Greg

Comment

Thanks for the advice Chris, Randy and Greg.

I might try getting my wife to help me with it... I tried doing it myself the other time & it was a handful trying to hold firmly with the adjustable wrench as well as trying to turn with the screwdriver. I was beginning to think Id have to be some form of octopus to be able to remove the screws! Does anyone know which way I should be turning the screws? It wont help much if I end up tightening them instead!

Greg, I would assume that the grind is too course as I am grinding one above the true zero (I assume that the true zero is where the motor isnt just whirring but making this other noise as well) and the shot is just about right. What do you mean about the top holder being in the right position? Can you screw it in wrongly and stuff it up? If so, maybe I should check it more carefully.

Comment

The screws are (were) all standard- loosen anti-clockwise.

If you can get a square-shafted screwdriver, or one of the professional screwdrivers with a hex area up near the handle, you can put a wrench on the screwdriver for torque Align the driver so that the wrench "crosses" over he center of the lower burr carrier. In that way, the turning (loosening) torque will counter-act the lower burrs want to rotate on the motor. if that is not clear and if it isnt, I dont blame you), E-mail me and I will send you an image illustrating it.

Comment

Originally posted by griffster link=1211481729/0#12 date=1211729496
                              *snip*
                              Greg, I would assume that the grind is too course as I am grinding one above the true zero (I assume that the true zero is where the motor isnt just whirring but making this other noise as well) and the shot is just about right.  What do you mean about the top holder being in the right position?  Can you screw it in wrongly and stuff it up?  If so, maybe I should check it more carefully.
                              I dont know if YOU could get it wrong--I sure did, although the metal-on-metal noise should indicate a true zero with the burrs touching. I dont like that sound so I do the zero-ing manually.

In the end I screwed the top burr holder down until it was tight against the bottom burr and I could not turn the rotor by hand. This is my absolute zero. I backed it off by about two inches and then mounted the hopper so it gave me a reading of 10 on the external scale. On my machine the 10 is about 2 inches back from zero.

Good luck.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X