Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinder to dispense Hot Chocolate - What the...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder to dispense Hot Chocolate - What the...?

I recently walked past a cafe that appeared to be using a Mazzer Super Jolly with a hopper and dosing chamber "choc full o chocolate"!!!  

At first, I rubbed my eyes to make sure I was seeing things correctly, and since it was a cube style of cafe (ie: in an open shopping mall), I walked around the rear to get a closer look at it.  Yep, sure as eggs, it was a Mazzer SJ being used as hot chocolate doser - I even saw them thwacking hot chocolate powder into a cup before adding some boiling water.

I never saw how they managed to get the hot chocolate powder from the hopper in the dosing chamber - presumably with the burrs fully opened?

Poor grinder, it shouldnt have to live out the rest of its days like this - if there were an RSCPG, Id call them  :

-Alchemist-

Re: Grinder to dispense Hot Chocolate - What the..

I wonder if they had the burrs modified. Maybe had every other burr finger ground off, or possible all the outer area taken off in a lathe leaving only the coarse areas. it would seem that the oils and fats in the chocolate would clog a standard set of burrs. Does someone make special burrs for chocolate to fit the Mazzer? If so, dont tell my wife!

Comment

Originally posted by -Alchemist- link=1212246907/0#0 date=1212246907

Poor grinder, it shouldnt have to live out the rest of its days like this - if there were an RSCPG, Id call them :

-Alchemist-

Perhaps even an RSPCG

Comment

Youd think a blade grinder would do the job. Wouldnt you want to slice and dice the chocolate rather than grind it up and clog up the burrs.... either way - what a waste of a good grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G. link=1212246907/0#1 date=1212250619
          Does someone make special burrs for chocolate to fit the Mazzer? If so, dont tell my wife!
          I wasnt expecting that. Almost chocked on my brekkie laughing....

Comment

Alchemist why didnt you just ask?

Comment

Hmmm .... I wonder what the result would be adding roasted cocoa nibs to the hopper, grinding chocolate on demand, fill pf, tamp, etc.

Anyone tried it? :

Comment

The heat generated from the burrs would most likely melt away the chocolate and theyd be thwacking goo into the cups.

My guess would be the chocolate in the hopper was just for show and the doser was just filled with drinking chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin1 link=1212246907/0#7 date=1212304586
                  The heat generated from the burrs would most likely melt away the chocolate and theyd be thwacking goo into the cups.

My guess would be the chocolate in the hopper was just for show and the doser was just filled with drinking chocolate.

Am sure it was just for show, but I was serious (in a funny sort of a way) re my question. In my albeit limited experience, cocoa nibs dont actually liquefy that easily, especially if one were to use a slow revving grinder, and not needing to make too many doses.

Comment

errr...Im sure theyre just adding choc powder straight to the doser!

Comment

i was experimenting with ground and taosted cocao nibs and cardomom pods tamped into a pf (on a fb70!) with...interesting results. And im pretty sue Davids right about the chocolate chamber, though it does seem a bit excessive to use a super jolly. Why not just one of those dosing chambers that you sometimes see used for decaf (ala, Vittoria coffee). Still, the idea actually seems quite logical (despite the costs invovled if it was a sjolly)

Comment

Macap make a standalone doser IIRC.

Comment

Is there such a thing as a home conching machine?

Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray C link=1212246907/0#12 date=1212401488
                            Is there such a thing as a home conching machine?

Ray.
                            Theres one for sale on evilbay for $30k Ray - might be a bit big for home use though.  ;D

A ball mill will work too, though would need to be ventilated.  See this thread for a description posted by Sparky.

Comment

Working...
                            X