Mazzer Super Jolly Vs Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer Super Jolly Vs Mini

I am interested to find out if anyone owning a Mazzer SJ considers this machine superior to the Mazzer Mini in terms of both usability and the quality of extracted coffee?

I have recieved advice from a couple of highly respected  CS owners who have both indicated that the difference in actual coffee extraction from a drinking experience is very small.........  but the SJ has a superior build quality.

This is a surprise as some US sites  seem to place the SJ aheadin performance  often stating the  larger  SJ burrs and cooler running  provide improved consistency of grind.

Whats your experience?

Re: Mazzer Super Jolly Vs Mini

iirc, the SJ has the same burr size as the Mini-E, but the Mini has smaller burrs than those two. The SJs build is like a tank. I have a Kony and if it had wheels I think I could drive it into town! Check out the grinder article at HomeBarista http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-grinder-reviews.html
    It may give you some useful information.

The Kony is overkill for home use, but I can comment that the grind adjustment and ease of removal of the top burr is of an excellent design. I have removed all the hardware for the doser switch that senses that the doser is full, I removed the grounds defllector, and I removed the dosing forks as well.

The only weakpoint IMO is that the exit chute from the grinding chamber to the doser is horizontal and needs to be swept out after each grinding (I grind per shot). With the flapper and switch out of the way it is easy to do.

Comment

Gday Warmtone,

Check out http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1207399323 if you havent already as that thread deals with exactly this subject and has a number of replies which may be of assistance to you. If the price of the SJ youre considering is within a couple of hundred dollars and youve got the space Id take the SJ because its a faster and more solid piece of equipment. I dont however think a SJ is worth a $500 premium over a Mini for a home user as most of the different features are only of value to a commercial operator.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1212322867/0#2 date=1212362374
        If the price of the SJ youre considering is within a couple of hundred dollars and youve got the space Id take the SJ because its a faster and more solid piece of equipment.
        Greg
        Well you only live once so Ive decided to spend just a little bit more and go for the "Beast"

I hooked into the recent "bulk buy" from Chris @ Talk Coffee and received a great deal.

I will receive later this week.

Happy to provide some feedback once i have familiarised myself with SJ capabilities!

Brian

Comment

Warmtone, good stuff mate! You wont be disappointed - trust me

Have you checked out the shorter hoppers for the SJ thread?

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1212322867/0#4 date=1212397120

No I havent read this as yet...... but the big hopper will go!

A guy in the US has found a stainless steel funnel that magically fits as a much nicer hopper for single doses.

The hopper also doubles to directly feed the porter filter with no mess! Ill post the link for CSers amusement!

Comment

warmtone, congrats on the new toy. The SJ is a sweet grinder and you wont regret it. Ive had mine for a couple of months now and wont trade it for anything else... except a Robur :

A grinder for life IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by warmtone link=1212322867/0#5 date=1212400002

A guy in the  US has found a stainless steel funnel that magically fits as a much nicer hopper for single doses.

The hopper also doubles to directly feed the porter filter with no mess! Ill post the link for  CSers amusement!
                Heres the link I mentioned:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D_BEnIr07G4

This is quite  an innovative solution for home brewing!

Comment

I own both a Mini and a SJ. Im not able to distinguish any difference in grind quality, but a massive difference in speed, and the SJ is certainly more solidly planted on the bench, which I find to be important. The dregs tray is also far superior on the SJ (stainless steel, and a neat fit between the legs) cf minis plastic crap that broke. You do definitely get more for your $.

Comment

Originally posted by warmtone link=1212322867/0#5 date=1212400002

A guy in the  US has found a stainless steel funnel that magically fits as a much nicer hopper for single doses.

The hopper also doubles to directly feed the porter filter with no mess! Ill post the link for  CSers amusement!
                    Nice use of the funnel as a hopper and I particularly like the way it doubles as a tamp stand.
                    The second half of the video confuses me though.
                    It looks like that Expobar is hanging over the front of the bench.

Comment

Theres no need for a hopper of any kind on an SJ when grinding for a single pour. The throat is plenty big enough to hold the beans with room left over for a tamper to sit on top of them and maintain pressure, prevent fly-aways, and reduce bouncing.

Java "Been doing it for years" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Yeah thats what I used to use, or not use. Just go hopperless and drop the plastic tamper(the only use for it) in the throat. I nver take the hopper off nowadays. I just throw in my dose and close the sliding bean stopper, tongue thing(does this need a name like the Graeme?) to stop the beans bouncing out and Roberts ur mums bro.

Yeah I had seen that funnel thing a while back. I still like the look of the clear hoppers and the ability to chuck in more for guests etc. Just looks more part of the furniture than an add-on.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1212322867/0#9 date=1212404128
                          It looks like that Expobar is hanging over the front of the bench.
                          Yeah being the Brewtus I, I think most of them came legless. You see heaps of pics on the old Minores with no feet. And I guess He was just letting it hang - odd though. I did change my Minore II to shorter feet though to get the right ride height on the bench. Im not on my tip-toes tryin to load the PF, - not that it was that bigg-a-deal, just snob.

Comment

The Titan grinder thread on Home Barista puts the SJ (if you go through and read all 30 odd pages of the thread) right up there with the Robur. It says that it does not bring out the finer nuances in some coffees that the Robur does and tends to bring out smooth chockie compared to the Robur which they say (and I who likes Choc agrees) can be a good thing.

I love my SJ which I hooked onto at a fantastic price thanks to Chris at Talk Coffee and wouldnt give it up. The site in the US tend towards the SJ being a bit better in terms of grind quality than the Mini, but I havent used the 2 side by side so I wouldnt comment personally.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1212322867/0#13 date=1212478949
                              The Titan grinder thread on Home Barista puts the SJ (if you go through and read all 30 odd pages of the thread) right up there with the Robur.  It says that it does not bring out the finer nuances in some coffees that the Robur does and tends to bring out smooth chockie compared to the Robur which they say (and I who likes Choc agrees) can be a good thing.

I love my SJ which I hooked onto at a fantastic price thanks to Chris at Talk Coffee and wouldnt give it up.  The site in the US tend towards the SJ being a bit better in terms of grind quality than the Mini, but I havent used the 2 side by side so I wouldnt comment personally.

Cheers
                              I did read through the TITAN review and this is why Ive ended up buying the SJ .........  I figure that if the SJ gives the much more expensive conicals like the Robur a nudge it must be a very good machine!   I look forward to colecting mine tomorrow!

Have you modified your SJ with a smaller hopper or do you use it stock standard?

Also I notice you have a Rocky - how does this compare to the SJ?

Comment

Working...
                              X