Macap M4D/M5D use and care tips....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macap M4D/M5D use and care tips....

This thread created for owners of the the Digital Macap M4D/M5D to share use and care tips...

Seems that Macap have just included standard M4 manuals with their grinders and no specific instructions (or instructions in Italian if youre lucky :) for the digital side of things.

Here is what I did with mine:

To program:
    •Hold the big silver button down for at least 5 seconds. This will take you into program mode
    •Rotate the button and you will be presented with a number of options, single, double, continuous, language, dose counter, exit
    •Select your chosen option by pressing once and then rotating the button to set the appropriate value and then press again to lock in
    •Rotate through to “exit” and then press again to leave program mode…

With mine, I firstly navigated through to continuous mode and selected “on”. This allowed me to use the grinder in continuous mode, dose as I normally do  and set the grind. Once that was done and using a Giotto, I set the single grind time to 5.7 sec. To dose a double, I grind a single, collapse it to create headspace and then add another single. Tamp as per usual and go for it.

You should find that only small changes are required as your coffee ages or when you change bean. I have so far varied my grind time by 0.1 sec and particle size by about a notch up and down.

*NB-  Macap ship these grinders with the grind set extremely fine. For micrometric owners,  I recommend that you start 20 full turns coarser than factory setting and dial in from there. For stepped grinders, like mine, I adjusted the blades of my empty grinder until they touched and then started ¼ turn of the collar coarser.

Hope that helps!

Chris

Re: Macap M4D/M5D use and care tips....

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee link=1213487719/0#0 date=1213487718
    *NB- Macap ship these grinders with the grind set extremely fine. For micrometric owners, I recommend that you start 20 full turns coarser than factory setting and dial in from there. For stepped grinders, like mine, I adjusted the blades of my empty grinder until they touched and then started ¼ turn of the collar coarser.
    Can I assume that is 20 full turns of the adjuster (on micrometric) rather than the collar?

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rong link=1213487719/0#1 date=1213502052
      Originally posted by Talk_Coffee link=1213487719/0#0 date=1213487718
      *NB-  Macap ship these grinders with the grind set extremely fine. For micrometric owners,  I recommend that you start 20 full turns coarser than factory setting and dial in from there. For stepped grinders, like mine, I adjusted the blades of my empty grinder until they touched and then started ¼ turn of the collar coarser.
      Can I assume that is 20 full turns of the adjuster (on micrometric) rather than the collar?

Ron
      Yes Ron- or youd be holding the burr carrier in your hand

Chris

Comment

Hi Chirs

Mine had an extra page of instructions in the box (in English) for the M4D programming.

Loving it so far. Just no mess at all!

Phil.

Comment

Dont tease me moby
          I am waiting on delivery for my M4D

KK

Comment

Originally posted by _moby_ link=1213487719/0#3 date=1213521086
            Hi Chirs

Mine had an extra page of instructions in the box (in English) for the M4D programming.

Loving it so far.  Just no mess at all!

Phil.
            Maybe you could post a copy in this thread.

Comment

Picked up my m4d from Chris yesterday, set it up, loaded some beans then double checked the packaging for some instructions on the digital side of things. None. I remembered that Chris said to access the program by pressing and holding the button, which I did. It just didnt occur to me that I had to turn it to enter the values, so I just looked at it trying the same things over a few times, nothing. Could get it to grind at the factory default settings so was able to adjust that into the ball park.
              Im sure I was told but in the excitement of the moment, in one ear and out the other, you know how it goes. I called Chris then looked on the net and fired off an email to a guy in London who had received instructions with his.
              Whilst waiting for a reply from either or both I thought I would take another look. Switched the grinder on held down the button then turned it!! Bingo!! In my defence the button looks like a button not a knob! Be easy on me!
              Then the machine opened up its secrets....... the logic is magic and once understood is plain simple.
              There is a direct correlation between grind texture and volume which is fascinating especially seeing how the smallest incremental changes in settings have a noticeable effect on the pour and shot quality. I mostly use a single 14gm pf basket and I have set the the single dose value to 2.6 seconds. This allows dose and collapse twice then filling and leveling with my index finger and tamping.
              My coffee set up is in the same room as a wood heater so temperature and humidity fluctuate, in the morning I have previously had to coarsen the grind bringing it finer during the day. This morning I had to back the grind off two turns as usual ( the m4 is going out to join the machine at work) and shortened the grind time by 0.1 seconds. This evening, back two turns finer and 2.6 secs.
              The 21gm double is set at 5.7 secs as Chris has suggested and worked fine this afternoon using his urban blend, more on that one during the week.
              Not only consistent shots but a consistent and minimal amount of waste - less than a gram per basket!! This is one tidy grinder!!!
              I live by myself and so mostly Im making one coffee at a time and I found that with the m4 doser the waste of residual grinds in the chute and doser is the same whether making one cup of coffee or twenty in a row. So I weighed the waste from 500gms of beans- 150 gms. (25 shots @ 14 gms with an average 6gms waste per shot, 1gm off the top of the basket, 5 gms in the chute and doser)
              This grinder has gone to work where multiple coffees are made at the same time therefore it will reduce the waste ratio and the doser chamber made useful by continuous grinding whilst preparing the first shots. Thats the plan. Please dont misunderstand me the m4d is also an awesome grinder; it will come into its own in the work setting.
              Back to the m4d....... no clumping issues, the delivery is direct and doesnt throw, it looks awesome, cant fault the shots and its tidy tidy tidy!!!
              The twosome has just become a threesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1213487719/0#5 date=1213529668
                Originally posted by _moby_ link=1213487719/0#3 date=1213521086
                Maybe you could post a copy in this thread.
                Ill see if I can scan it at work tomorrow.

After my playing around thus far Ive found that Ive set the single dose timer at 5.1sec and that seems to be working well for me with the same method as described above. I was hitting the showerscreen on the Giotto if dosed up much more than that and getting some side channelling possibly due to the puck being disturbed. Guess maybe I’m grinding a bit finer than others at a lower dose.

Anyway, for the moment it is working well at that setting but no doubt I’ll keep tweaking as I go.

Comment

OK
                  I am one of the lucky ones that have the instructions
                  I have created a PDF of the Instructions for easy printing

Have had no problems so far
                  Make sure to hold the button for 10 seconds for programing
                  Same button toggle right or left to adjust (it is a little smooth and hard to get traction)

More to come after a little use

KK

Comment

Just came to upload the instructions but have been beaten to it. Hopefully everyone is enjoying their new grinders. It really is very easy and enjoyable to use.

Comment

Thanks for the extra instructions. As soon as I can synchronize being at home when TNT deliver (currently 1-0), Ill have a go

Ron

Comment

No problem rong (re - instructions)

Try Asking TNT if you can redirect the parcel to a work address? or if you are close collect from the TNT depot.

KK

Comment

I am finding it a whole new learning curve using the M4D. I am coming from a Compak K3E which has a doser. My whole technique for dosing the pf has had to change. It took me a little while to realise I wasnt packing as much into the pf. With the K3 I would always grind more than required, so I could overfill the pf and in the process make a big mess. Now I am fine tuning to fill the pf with minimal mess - sounds simple, but in practise taking a while. :-[

I have to say, I love this grinder. The reason I decided to upgrade was the mess factor, and it has definitely delivered. The size next to my Minore II is also much better with the smaller hopper (it never felt right that the K3E was "bigger" than the Minore :). The programming side of it is also very simple (I was fortunate to have instructions with mine - but thanks to those who provided copies).

Comment

In Brisbane the humidity has been fluctuating and there is a direct correlation with how fine the grind is and clumping.
                            I don’t consider clumping a big issue as it does not affect the taste of the coffee.
                            In fact it helps in a way as grinds are held together and not disbursed all over the place
                            (One quick stir prior to tamp and all is well)

For this reason I have my M4D set on continuos grind as I need to adjust the grind regularly for humidity and regular changing of bean types
                            At the moment I am judging level by eye? It’s not very hard and most practical for my constant grind adjustments

Humidity and regular grind adjustments is also one of the reasons I purchased the stepped model

Quick comments so far
                            I find it a breeze to use with quiet operation (it’s so quiet you can hear a humming birds wings flap)
                            Beautiful grind consistency that’s matched with extreme grind speed
                            Clean, clean, clean operation

KK

Comment

At long last the shiny item arrived, unscaithed (I must have had the concienous TNT employee ) and with English programming instructions.

I promptly wound out 20 turns, and ended up winding back 19 (now have some plunger grinds). One thing I found was that the age of the roast is quite significant. The initial setting up used beans around 7 days (from roast) and the texture of the ground was good - no clumps. After a few shots they ran out, so I had to add the new batch of beans (roasted that day). The texture appeared a lot smoother, but the clumping is awful as a result. Adjusting the grind coarser just resulted in a faster pour and still very clumpy.

Unfortunately having to use a new batch made life difficult, but I can see that it may take time to assess the adjustments to account for age of roast.

Overall it is a fantastic addition to the coffee toolkit and the noise level is a lot less than my previous grinder.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X