grinder for silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinder for silvia

I am wanting to purchase a grinder for my silvia. I am heavily considering the rocky.

Can i get some unbiased opinions as to which i should go for and which will give me the better tasting coffee please?
    budget 400-500

Re: grinder for silvia

A really good grind will last a lifetime with occasional burr replacement (like every two to five years), so my first advice is spend as much as you can because the thing could be around for a while.

Since I dont know what your choices are for tat /\/price range, I would make the general recommendation that the Mazzers are very nice because of their excellent upper burr mounting as well as recommending a stepless adjustment regardless as to which grinder you choose if it will be mainly used for espresso.

Comment

where could i purchase new mazzer mini at good price.....I have seen it for 600+ but thats a little pricey

Comment

I would recommend looking for a used Mazzer Major. Although its height might rule it out for your kitchen it has the larger burr size of the Mini-E, but since it is one of the favorite shop grinders they do tend to show up second hand, in my hemisphere (the one on the top), anyway... Add a set of new burrs and give it a cleaning, and you might get a great grinder at an affordable price.

Comment

I had a Rocky, and it served me well. I still use it as a back up or for travelling (its lighter and smaller than my Mazzer). If I were to do it all over again, Id be hitting up the Compak K3T. It seems to be the catagory killer at the moment. Check it out in the grinder info/review section.

my coupla cents.

Comment

Take a look at the doser versions of Cunill Tranquilo $395 or Cunill unicoSplendor (s/steel version) $440. We use one for a Gaggia Classic and a Sylvia.  It is not stepless but very fine adjustments between steps. The adjustment of the burrs is achieved by a stopper mechanism that allows the burrs to be adjusted by 1/55th increments of a full turn.
            Very consistent grind, 60mm burrs, sweeeps very clean, very solid and as yet I havent heard of anyone having to mod one to get it to grind properly as with some others. I rarely use the doser as such but weigh and grind through the doser and use the adjustable doser only if I have a large number of coffees to make.
            It is said by some to be very big but it is maller than a Mazzer Mini and the Macap M4.
            Oh, Is this a biased opinion? Sorry, YES! I love it.

Comment

Im very happy with my doserless Rocky as a partner to Miss Silvia. I havent tried anything better though, so cant tell you how much improvement youll get from spending more.

Comment

Hi

I also have a doserless rocky. Its solid, repeatable in that a grind setting is reproducable, and easy to adjust to plunger coffee then back to an espresso setting. Its been partnered with a Silvia since 2005.

The are only two negatives; grounds stay behind the exit chute and there is some static and clumping. But nother serious.

Mike

Comment

ok then a quick pole as i looking to buy over the next week and need to make my mind up

cunill tranquilo

or the Rocky

for my slyvia

Comment

big decision helpppppppppp me lol

Comment

latte_boy, just another question, are you looking for one with a doser or doserless?

IMO you should seriously be looking at the Compak K3T too - If not, I vote the Rocky as thats the one I can vouch for.

Comment

ok compak? do tell

im open to any in that price category

would love a mazzer mini but its just a tad too expensive

Comment

Gday latte_boy,

Have you read through the comprehensive set of reviews to be found here.... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163235531

That should arm you with a sufficient understanding of the differences ,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks guys

almost made my decision

I have possibly found a cunill tranquilo for $360 ish

good price? and would that be a better choice than the rocky?

unbiased opinions again please as i am close to making a purchase

cheers and thanks for your help

Comment

Both Rocky and Cunil are good grinders
                              If you can strech the budget look at the Macap M4

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X