Rocky setting for Plunger coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky setting for Plunger coffee?

Well, I have bitten the bullet and bought a Rocky SD. I dont have my Silvia yet so am going to see if I can make some decent plunger coffee. The question is - what grinder setting for the plunger? I understand that I need a coarse grind for plungers - so - can anyone help me with a suggested setting?

Re: Rocky setting for Plunger coffee?

Hi Rocky

I use about 10 for expresso and 15 for plunger.
    So basically about 3 or 4 notches higher. Some people may prefer a 20 setting.

Also do some cupping. Grind three lots at 10, 15 and 20. Place a tablespoon of each into small cups. Pour on water that is just off the boil and time 4 mins. Then use a spoon to sink the grinds and scoop out some clear coffee. Taste it! Is the 20 grind too weak? Is the 10 grind too strong or too many small particles. This was you can work out what grind for your rocky you prefer.

The plunger just separates the grinds from the drink. So experiment first with cupping to select a grind.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. That is all useful advice. I took a punt at morning tea time and set the Rocky on 20 on the dial & ground a quarter cup measure of Merlo beans. Not the best beans I know, but difficult to source small quantities of good fresh beans up in the sticks. The quarter-cup made enough grind for two cups. It appeared coarser than the "fair trade" grounds I have been buying from the supermarket for my plungers. I only gave it about 30seconds to draw as I sometimes feel that my plunger coffee has a "stewed" taste (which I suppose is what you would expect using too fine a grind in a plunger?)
      It was a nice cup of coffee. Not great but better than my usual plunger coffee. So that is a start.
      I was impressed with the Rocky. Not noisy, not messy, easy to operate. I will experiment with a few different settings as per your suggestion.
      Cheers, Rocky.

Comment

Hi Rocky

OK some snobs here might balk at this but when I level off after tamping it goes into a nice tin container. This builds up quite a lot of coffee during the weekend. A complete medly of 4 or more beans. My wife takes it to work and uses it for her plunger coffee. Even though its ground for espresso she likes it as she doesnt let it steep for too long. She says its way better than their super-auto coffee machine :-)

Mike

Comment

Hi Rocky, with my grinder (Rocky) I usually do espresso at around 4-5 mark and around 10 for the occasional plunger. All settings vary between different Rocky machines so what is 4/5 on mine may be 8-10 on yours for espresso, when I grind for my wifes drip filter machine I usualy go to about 25. Once you sort out your settings for different brews its easy to go back and forth with the settings.
          Keep saving your pennies for Madam Silvia!!!

Comment

Working...
          X