Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer Mini Mod Options

Hi everyone,

Having ordered my new mini , Im just anticipating the usual mods.
    Ive scanned the previous posts on this topic and they have been very useful.

Im just wondering about the standard sweeper mod with duct/electrical tape.
    Does the tape need regular maintenance? Is this considered the best way to achieve the mod, or are there more permanent options for creating a cleaner sweep?

Thanks in advance,

sd

Re: Mazzer Mini Mod Options

Originally posted by smokeydeck link=1214736102/0#0 date=1214736102
    Hi everyone,

Im just wondering about the standard sweeper mod with duct/electrical tape.
    Does the tape need regular maintenance? Is this considered the best way to achieve the mod, or are there more permanent options for creating a cleaner sweep?

sd
    Not sure about your first question as Im yet to try this mod.

Anyway check this link for suggested mods (near the bottom) which itself has links to another site to explain the tape mod

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/mazzer_mini/Teme

One thing I discovered is not to pull the doser lever too quickly or the grounds will pour out to the left, not all into the portafilter. Theres a brief youtube vid by Greg Pulk,man demonstrating the technique

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus link=1214736102/0#1 date=1214956726
      One thing I discovered is not to pull the doser lever too quickly or the grounds will pour out to the left, not all into the portafilter.
      I think youll attract a few arguments about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1214736102/0#2 date=1214957763
        >>One thing I discovered is not to pull the doser lever too quickly or the grounds will pour out to the left, not all into the portafilter.

I think youll attract a few arguments about that.
        Bring it on. Im happy to be convinced otherwise. Ive only had the Mini for less than a week so Im still learning.

Do you mean that it shoots to the left regardless of how fast you pull the lever?

Comment

Remember that doser grinders are primarily designed for busy cafes, and as such, there is often a fair bit of coffee in the doser. This tends to allow the grinds to drop straight down into the PF.

For home use, without any mods on the Mazzer, you either need to pull the lever very, very, slowly, or thwack it hard and fast so that it wont throw to the left. Not a big deal once you get used to it.

Some people have used a simple mod, attaching a shaped piece of metal to the exterior, LH side of the doser that Im sure works well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1214736102/0#4 date=1214959511
            ... you either need to pull the lever very, very, slowly, or thwack it hard and fast so that it wont throw to the left.  Not a big deal once you get used to it.

Some people have used a simple mod, attaching a shaped piece of metal to the exterior, LH side of the doser that Im sure works well too.
            Thanks - I discovered the pull slowly technique but havent tried the v. fast technique. I will look at mods once I learn to use the machine a bit better and get the right grind.

I bought the Mini because it was considered one of the best (and Di Bartoli had a special) but in hindsight a doserless may have been a better choice for my requirements. The box had a bit of paper warning it was for professional use only. Still, no regrets.

Comment

After doing some research online, Ive done my mod for my Mazzer Mini and posted it on my shabby coffee blog.

http://e-gene.blogspot.com/2008/07/m...-mini-mod.html

Thats just part 1 and I plan to experiment a little more with other stuff.

Comment

I go hard and fast on the Super Jolly and it doses only slightly left and generally pretty much straight in...little finger and tap fixes anything anyway.

Cheers

Comment

I have had my SJ for 2 days now and have had trouble with even dosing. about 1/2 of my pours are gushing on the right side (naked PF). I guess this is due to the doser throwing to the left side of the PF - even though I tap straight down 6 times and level off before tamping.
                  This never happend with my old dosing technique with the Rocky DL. I am still trying to sort this out without adding too much time to my shot preparation.
                  Anybody else using mazzer dosers and naked PFs finding consistent and even dosing methods?

Thanks

David

Comment

You will need to redistribute your coffee using one of many methods out there. The preferred method of many professional baristas out there is either stockfleths or just using cardinal points.

Comment

Hi David

Yes I have a Mini Mazzer Doser and yes it tended to flick out to the left. As mentioned in a response to one of my earlier posts on this thread (above) you either pull the doser lever rather quickly like in the Greg Pullman video on Youtube
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=HYnAJegQoIk

or you pull it fairly slowly, which works for me.

Start off slow then you can find what works best for you

Comment

This may not be anyhting new, but I thwack that sucker so quick that it hits the left side and ends up in the right of the basket.... then I tame it down a bit and throw left a bit... basically I dont have any probs with dosing.... I started using a kinda modified stockfleths, but I mix it up.... and it also depends what tamper I choose to use. I dont have probs with distribution (in regards to checking it with the naked).
                        Keep at it though Dave - looks like you have the same setup, and came from the same previous grinder - so I know what you mean

YeeZa

Comment

Originally posted by Sink cut link=1214736102/0#8 date=1216297829
                          I have had my SJ for 2  days  now and have had trouble with even dosing. about 1/2 of my pours are gushing  on  the right side (naked PF). I guess this is due to the  doser throwing to  the left side of the PF - even though I tap straight down 6 times and level off  before tamping.
                          This never  happend with my old dosing  technique  with the Rocky DL. I  am still trying to sort  this  out  without  adding  too much time to my shot preparation.
                          Anybody else using mazzer  dosers and naked PFs  finding  consistent and even dosing  methods?
                          Its all about how you distribute your grind in the portafilter. The naked portafilter is very unforgiving that way, if you are not tamping straight or have not distributed your grind properly, itll show in your pour.

Comment

Thanks for responses guys-
                            With the rocky I used to grind into a cup - fluff it up with a chopstick- and then carefully dose - half arsed WTD with very good results.

To get consistently get the right amount of coffee in my PF I tap down 6 times (4 times = underdose 8 times = over dose) then chop the top off NSEW with the chop stick. I think my tap routiene may be compounding my problems when I start with an uneaven distribution

Stockfieth method just moves the coffee around on top of the pack doesnt it? or does it move all of the coffee around? I think my problem is higher density on one side well below the surface - I say this because my surface is already completly even and level before tamping.

Whats Cardinal points? Is that another word for NSEW?

YeZa - when you thwack fast is it while the grinder is running or afterwards when you have a big pile in three sections?

I know I can always dose into a cup and then redose but that seems really silly when I have a shiny doser!

Comment

Originally posted by Sink cut link=1214736102/0#13 date=1216381453
                              YeeZa - when you thwack fast is it while the grinder is running or afterwards when you  have a big  pile in three sections?
                              umm... a bit of both I think. Kinda depends if im doing something while its grinding out or while its grinding. Either way, I consistently get within a gram(ish) each fill. I usually fill half way, tap 3 times, heap it on, modified stockfleths, level off, tamp (tap depending on which tamper im using, fitted or not) then BAM - delishness. 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X