Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azkoyen Capriccio Automatic Grinder

Hi coffee snobs!

I am looking at buying a Azkoyen Capriccio Grinder, and would love some feedback from peoples experience with this brand.
    How good are the blades: comparable to a Mazzer in quality, longevity?

Currently have a Mini Mazzer Electronic, but if you change the grind it throws out the gramage dose, very inconvenient. >

Thanks

Mahalia

Re: Azkoyen Capriccio Automatic Grinder

Originally posted by mahalia link=1215504415/0#0 date=1215504415
    Hi coffee snobs!

I am looking at buying a Azkoyen Capriccio Grinder, and would love some feedback from peoples experience with this brand.
    How good are the blades: comparable to a Mazzer in quality, longevity?

Currently have a Mini Mazzer Electronic, but if you change the grind it throws out the gramage dose, very inconvenient.  >

Thanks

Mahalia
    Hi Mahalia,

The Azkoyen is a complex grinder and is not cheap. With $$$ not far from K10 or Robur territory, Id be suggesting that you put the time and effort into using a great grinder well.

Its easy with a timed grinder to set particle size and grind time and then never look at it again. Meanwhile you change coffee or your coffee ages or terperature and/or humidity change and you need to adjust things again. You are much better dosing by volume than mass. I suspect your frustration with the mini-e will be mirrored with the Azkoyen. You will also have many more moving bits and a greater requirement for service.

Sadly many cafes which use this type of grinder do nothing after day one. Its no surprise that their coffee reflects their lack of effort.

No grinder will allow you to "cop out" if you want to make coffee at a high standard...

Chris

Comment

Gday mahalia,

Have to say that Azkoyen products are generally very well considered and I see no reason why this grinder wouldnt be equally well thought of. Pretty large beast though and right up there on the technological cutting edge but if this is the sort of thing that suits you, then go for it. I spose you have already researched the machine but heres a page from one of our Site Sponsors pages that details some information about the grinder.

Regarding your problems with the Mazzer Mini... I guess this type of outcome is to be expected for the very basic method of control used and quite typical. Theres nothing for it except to adjust the setting when ever you need to alter the grind size. All the best mate ,

Mal.

Comment

Well I personally cant stand the thing. Its big, its ugly, inconsistant, takes forever to clean, needs to be cleaned often, is inconsistant, annoying to alter the grind setting, and most of all, so damn inconsistant!!
        I dont know what the units like for home use (which is what im usuming its planned for), but in a slow to med volume cafe its horrible. Absolutely no consistency between shots. And for the price, its insane. Id be looking towards a k10, kony or robur. Or maybe an Anfim Super Caimano.

Comment

Thats the information Im after - thanx boys. No, not for home use. Im a Master roaster, Trainer and run a coffee roasting company, and have been interested in this grinder for my retail store, and SOO not getting one!

Mahalia

Comment

Originally posted by psaigh link=1215504415/0#3 date=1215518757
            Well I personally cant stand the thing. Its big, its ugly, inconsistant, takes forever to clean, needs to be cleaned often, is inconsistant, annoying to alter the grind setting, and most of all, so damn inconsistant!!
            I dont know what the units like for home use (which is what im usuming its planned for), but in a slow to med volume cafe its horrible. Absolutely no consistency between shots. And for the price, its insane. Id be looking towards a k10, kony or robur. Or maybe an Anfim Super Caimano.
            Kony? Are you serious? The Kony is the slowest piece of crap Ive ever had the unfortunate opportunity of using. Robur is well over $2500 territory. At $2000 RRP, the K10 is killer.

Comment

Hello Mahalia,

The Azkoyen Capriccio uses 64mm Ditting Blades - and has a beautifully consistent grind - its not as hard to adjust the grind as some people allude to - the grind adjustment operates on a worm gear - so is infinitely adjustable - like a normal dosing grinder you would need to adjust the drop once you have adjusted the grind.

Cleaning now is quite easy and both chutes can be opened simultaneously with via the front control panel button and a cleaning brush is now provided with each grinder sold.

If you have already made a decision not to purchase thats fine however should you wish to have a closer look at one first let me know via PM your contact details I could direct you to our nearest office. Currently we have a few left at our special end of financial year special price available to all trade customers if you are interested.

Thanks,

Michael
              Diamond C Services

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1215504415/0#5 date=1215526043
                Kony? Are you serious? The Kony is the slowest piece of crap Ive ever had the unfortunate opportunity of using.
                ;D ;D Why dont you tell us what you really think? ;D ;D Love how you dont hold back mate. ;D

Comment

Slow yes, but the grind quality on the kony is still fantastic.  At this price point Id also point out the Electra Nino.  It retails for around $3300 but damn, what a unit!

Comment

The Elektra is a beast....like seriously...who the hell puts a 1HP motor in a grinder? The burrs are Robur killers. The doserless chute is fantastic. Shame it didnt fit a marzocco handle. Ross from Elektra took on board some suggestions....including making a retrofit for the marzocco handles and making the grinder stepless and got it done. Kudos to them.

Comment

Use this at a 30 kilo workplace atm and prefer the k10 or even the super jolly to it. While the grind settings are adjustable via the front panel knob I miss the ability to have micro minute adjustments that are typical of other grinders I prefer.

I also find maintence harder with little direct access to the blades/chute/dosing chamber without taking the panels off. We also have been experiencing a frequency for the dosing tubes to be blocked on the finer settings in the middle of a rush but as the blades need replacing soon Id say this is contributing to it.

As a plus however from a cafe owner perspective I could understand how it would help to set a standard in the volume of dosing and distrubtion for a underskilled junior workforce with mininmal wastage. (Except for the dose you have to bin after adjusting)

The other matter of concern is the automated pre-grind that sits in the chamber waiting to be dumped into the basket. Again while it dumbs down the process for those that want this, in a environment that doesnt have high turnover such as the home the ground material is exposed to the usual concerns.

Comment

K10s wont keep up and will overheat if youre moderately busy, even though its not as user friendly, I prefer the robur.

Ive seen some high volume cafes use a capriccio successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by BrighterSide link=1215504415/0#10 date=1215594157
                          The other matter of concern is the automated pre-grind that sits in the chamber waiting to be dumped into the basket. Again while it dumbs down the process for those that want this, in a environment that doesnt have high turnover such as the home the ground material is exposed to the usual concerns.

As opposed to a traditional dosing grinder that has about 250 grams of ground coffee in the dosing chamber waiting to be dispensed. :-?

I think I would rather have the 8 or 16 grams in the chute of the Azkoyen Capriccio Grinder waiting to be dispensed rather than the 250 grams in a tradtional grinder going stale.

Comment

As opposed to a traditional dosing grinder that has about 250 grams of ground coffee in the dosing chamber waiting to be dispensed. Huh

I think I would rather have the 8 or 16 grams in the chute of the Azkoyen Capriccio Grinder waiting to be dispensed rather than the 250 grams in a traditional grinder going stale. Wink
                            Depends on whos on the machine mate. I like to grind on demand for every shot.

Like I said before... for a owner who is looking to keep everything consistent and remove an potential shortfall from the equation then these grinders are great for them... however Id like to think if you have a great team then it removes a lot of the concerns that the Azkoyen addresses.

I pull 400+ shots a day on this grinder and can see the benefits of both arguments, however if I was to install a grinder in my own shop my personal preferences would lead me away from it.

Comment

Its easy with a timed grinder to set particle size and grind time and then never look at it again. Meanwhile you change coffee or your coffee ages or terperature and/or humidity change and you need to adjust things again.
                              you cant judge any grinder based on the person using it, or the lackof or nil training given.
                              most coffee shop operators get told the grinder is set properley so leave it alone, Dont touch.

if you check the instructions you will find yoiu can program this grinder for pregrind or grind on demand

We also have been experiencing a frequency for the dosing tubes to be blocked on the finer settings in the middle of a rush but as the blades need replacing soon Id say this is contributing to it.
                              blunt cutters will give you uneveness and cause blockages on any grinder, doser or doserless

we are running 2 of the capriccios in our shop, both set for grind on demand
                              the grind adjustment is worm screw, controlled by a knob ion the front face of the grinder

the dosage is electronic with a very fine value adjustment

the newer units have a cleaning function that opens both chutes and dumps the old coffee grinds

i find with this and any grinder with out a doser, that the ground quantity will change due to the amount of beans in the hopper, with the capriccio i dont have probs as long as i have more than about 100grams of beans or more

the capriccio has ditting blades which have a better than most lifespan
                              both the grinders we run, were purchased second hand, stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt, with only the blades and the chute closer belts being replaced.

as a service tech my qualm about the capricio is having to remove the covers to replace blades and service the worm mechanism
                              (in saying this, all grinders need to be serviced at least once a year and cleaned)
                              and as a user, not being able to easily change the program from pregrind to grind on demand

graham

Comment

Working...
                              X