Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doserless or Doser / Electronic or Manual decision

Hi All

I currently have a Sunbeam EM480 grinder and an ECM Giotto.

I am looking at upgrading the grinder and after having read the numerous forums and threads, I think I have narrowed it down to
    - Mazzer Mini
    - Macap M4

What I am unsure about it whether it is worth me spending the $400 or so more to get the electronic/dozerless versions, i.e.
    - Mazzer Mini E
    - Macap M4D

There is the other question of
    - Stepped
    - Micrometric
    but to me that is not really a big decision for now, I would be happy with either.

I think I want them in chrome (not silver), but again not sure  - again not a big decision for now. The reason I am not sure by the way is that it would be tucked away in cubby hole in the kitchen where you cant see it so it does not matter if it is the (less expensive) silver, but I want to keep the option open of maybe bringing it out and putting it next to Giotto on the bench in case I decide to, hence the chrome/silver (in-)decision.

I make 1 coffee per week day and maybe 2 or 3 per weekend day; so not a high volume thats for sure.

Also I am the sort of person that likes lights/beeps/bell & whistles and things so am really keen on the electronic versions - but cant justify spending that on the *removal* of a dozer and addition of some electronics. Then again I am also the sort of person that constantly likes to upgrade, so I dont want to not buy the electronic version and then as soon as I get it home, rue the fact that I should have bought the electronic version and regret it, and then have to sell and go buy the electronic. I guess the extra $400 at the end of the day is not that big an amount, but I do want value for money for that extra...

If someone has been in a similar predicament, would be great to hear your thoughts on the e-versions and also whether to go Mazzer or Macap.

Can you please help me decide whether it would worth spending the extra dough to get the electronic versions?

Cheers

mod edit- given that were talking about grinders rather than sleep- I took the liberty of modifying the thread title :P

Re: Doserless or Doser / Electronic or Manual deci

If someone has been in a similar predicament, would be great to hear your thoughts on the e-versions and also whether to go Mazzer or Macap.

Can you please help me decide whether it would worth spending the extra dough to get the electronic versions?
    I upgraded to the Macap M4D
    My needs were

Grind quality is always the first priority
    Low height,
    quiet, easy to use,
    clean operation (not messy coffee grounds all over)  
    Electronic settings are a breeze to use (the cool blue light illuminates the whole room at night when it’s the only thing on)

I chose the stepped version due to my humid location in Brisbane for quick adjustments to grind

If you want a great grinder with a no fuss operation I can recommend the Macap M4D

KK

Comment

Hi - thanks for that, can I ask why you chose the M4D over the M4, say?

Comment

This whole doser vs doserless thing is doing my head in  :-/  

Im trying to decide between a doserless Compak K3T and Macap M4 dosered, but the more opinions I read the more confused I get.  

Mostly I want to avoid mess.

Some say theres too much mess with a doserless grinder due to grounds being sprayed from the chute.  Couldnt this be cured simply by holding the portafilter as close as possible to the chute?

Is it not easier to clean left-over grinds from the chute of a doserless grinder rather than fishing around in the dosing chamber sweeping out leftover grounds?

Help..........someone please put me out of my misery :-/

Comment

Javaboy,

I have a Giotto and a Macap M5 with a doser and find they go well together.
          I like the doser as there is less mess but of course you cannot use the dose mechanism as if its always got coffee in the dosing chamber (unless of course you produce many coffees per day). I grind just enough for what i need and flicking the doser around just makes the whole process easier.

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by javaboy link=1215914970/0#2 date=1215929874
            Hi - thanks for that, can I ask why you chose the M4D over the M4, say?
            To tell you the truth
            My first grinder was a doser machine (but I have used other doser grinders in shops)
            I got the doserless more to compare the difference

Now that I have used both machines
            I have made my choice Doserless for me please
            For all the reasons I gave above

KK

Comment

Originally posted by splashalot link=1215914970/0#3 date=1215930603
              Mostly I want to avoid mess.

Some say theres too much mess with a doserless grinder due to grounds being sprayed from the chute.  Couldnt this be cured simply by holding the portafilter as close as possible to the chute?
              My first grinder, recently purchased, is the Macap M4D.  

One of the reasons for the choice was that we only make a couple of coffees a day, so the doser seemed more trouble than it was worth.  

From the demos Ive seen of dosers, and of a different brand doserless grinder that I had on loan whilst awaiting arrival of the M4D, it is far, far cleaner than anything else Ive seen.  There really is no mess at all from the chute into the portafilter with the M4D which was not the case with the other doserless.  The M4D is an absolute joy.

Comment

[QUOTE=_moby_ link=1215914970/0#6 date=1215997950]
                 There really is no mess at all from the chute into the portafilter with the M4D which was not the case with the other doserless.  The M4D is an absolute joy.
                Thanks for that Moby.

I dont suppose the messy doserless grinder you had on loan was a Compak K3T?  Thats the model Im considering, as the M4D is a tad out of my price range.  If the Compak is messy, Id rather wait and save for the M4D.

Comment

From the demos Ive seen of dosers, and of a different brand doserless grinder that I had on loan whilst awaiting arrival of the M4D, it is far, far cleaner than anything else Ive seen. There really is no mess at all from the chute into the portafilter with the M4D which was not the case with the other doserless. The M4D is an absolute joy.
                  And I concur with Mobys post
                  The M4D is so clean and precise in its operation that If I am watchful I don’t loose a single ground of coffee.
                  Now that’s something to shout about

KK

Comment

WOW!

I have a M4 dosered version and I certainly cant say I dont loose a single grind, I tend to lose a fair few!

My wife asked once "what about the mess aspect" and the response she got was "coffee can be messy". Ive refined that since buying the gear to "It can be a bit messy, Ill clean it up, live with it."

OK, OK, then I sidestep fairly dramatically....

Comment

Hi Kosmo

How much clumping do you get with the M4D?
                      Compared to say a Rocky if you have ever used one.

I gather there will be some clumping when its humid. Im presuming that a doser one will break up the clumps whereas the doserless might get some clumps.

Mike

Comment

How much clumping do you get with the M4D?  
                        Compared to say a Rocky if you have ever used one.

I gather there will be some clumping when its humid. Im presuming that a doser one will break up the clumps whereas the doserless might get some clumps.

That depends on the day and how humid it is in Brisbane
                        Yes it clumps on humid days to a size of baby frozen peas (frozen & uncooked))
                        I just give it a stir or press the very small clumps with a baby whisk before tamp
                        It does not affect the taste of the coffee

I have not used a Rocky so cant compare

I may try as an experiment with a wire grid or wire cross hairs on the exit spout, to see if it will help in breaking up the clumps of the ground coffee

But in reality it does not bother me that much

KK

Comment

[QUOTE=splashalot link=1215914970/0#7 date=1215998975]
                          Originally posted by _moby_ link=1215914970/0#6 date=1215997950
                           There really is no mess at all from the chute into the portafilter with the M4D which was not the case with the other doserless.  The M4D is an absolute joy.
                          Thanks for that Moby.

I dont suppose the messy doserless grinder you had on loan was a Compak K3T?  Thats the model Im considering, as the M4D is a tad out of my price range.  If the Compak is messy, Id rather wait and save for the M4D.
                          No it wasn’t, although the K3 touch is what I initially started out considering.  A couple of months of research and some demos and I ended up deciding to jump in and get the M4D.  A package deal discount from Chris at Talk Coffee helped the decision and I’m very happy with it.

Primary considerations given the amount of coffee we grind included the ease of use due to time based programming, cleanliness, grind consistency, noise level, overall build quality.

I was expecting to have to live with some mess and didn’t expect the M4D to be as clean as it is so that has been outstanding.  I do get some clumping but it doesn’t seem to be an issue.  I haven’t tried enough different beans as yet to see if that makes a difference.

If you can, get a demo of the K3T in action and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1215914970/0#11 date=1216005124
                            Clumping really really bothers me. Ive played with the M4D and it works pretty well. But I really hate the clumping so Id never get one.

Id go to a store and try out some grinders. I like the mazzer mini. You can knock back on the doser since its all stainless steel. Maybe Renzo will sell me his old Mazzer Mini now that he has a M4D. He should probably just keep it though and get rid of the little Isomac grinder that he has on the bench.

Comment

Recurve boy

The coffee ground by a doser grinder also comes out clumped

The doser itself by its sifting action takes out the clumps before it falls into the PF

Its no diferent to what I do by giving the grinds a stir in the PF

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X